Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting mature bucks.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting mature bucks.

But again I think the 4.5 yr olds in a pressure area are harder to kill than the 4.5 yr olds in a low pressure area.

Spot on.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I honestly think a mature bucks elusiveness/wariness is relitive to how he has been pressured as he was growing up. I believe they are products of their enviornment, in that a buck who has seen more pressure and been disturbed more often is going to be much harder to kill than one who led a more tranquil life.
I also think a buck just automatically becomes less tolerant of everything as he gets older, some just more so than others.
That isthe reason a chose 3.5 an up. Thats where they seem to start to make there change. They get older an smarter when there is more pressure, provided that they make it that long. They are more of a loner starting around that age.

Catch up with ya Sunday or so. Going to the farm for the weekend.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

Do you think that there is a difference in the way that mature bucks are hunted? Yes What I am saying is in your experience do older bucks say 3.5 an older act different from deer that areyoungerthan 3.5? yes but I would say 4 1/2 Do you approach the older deer in a different way? yes Do you see fewer deer when you are hunting mature deer than you do when you are hunting anydeer? yes Do you feel like your are honed in more antry to be more careful when hunting mature deer?not really, I would just say I use different tactics Comments areincouraged.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Early (Jeff) had a good point but I think Justin, Magic and WKP/Todd hit the nail on the head. In my experiences 3.5's are much easier in getting them close compared to a 4.5+ year old buck. Wind direction, scent doesn't seem to alarm them nearly as much as an older deer. The change in hunting for me anyway comes when I'm after the 4.5's and up.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea and I think that most hunters don't either. Asking about hunting mature bucks 3.5 years or older and consistently harvesting bucks 4.5 years or older to someone that hasnt even killed one mature buck is like asking an amateur boxer his opinions on fighting the best boxers in the world and how to knock them out....he has an idea(which may or may not be close to accurate), but has never experienced it himself.

I would go straight to the meat of the matter and ask those guys who have put a great deal of time and effort into consistently killing mature bucks. All else is just opinion.