Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of your states still have check stations?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many of your states still have check stations?

MI does, but it's not mandatory
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM

I would like to see more officers also in Wv, but Law breakers are always around no matter of the laws or how many dnr officers are on the beat...The people like myself who follow the laws shouldn't be punished, I would still check in my deer if I could do it online. Wouldn't you? I believe you would, there for it wouldn't directly effect things other than make it easier for guys like you and me. It would say money for the state also and might even add a few jobs. think about the paper waste alone from all the tags, forms and etc....Imho, I think the good out weights the bad.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

I would like to see more officers also in Wv, but Law breakers are always around no matter of the laws or how many dnr officers are on the beat...The people like myself who follow the laws shouldn't be punished, I would still check in my deer if I could do it online. Wouldn't you? I believe you would, there for it wouldn't directly effect things other than make it easier for guys like you and me. It would say money for the state also and might even add a few jobs. think about the paper waste alone from all the tags, forms and etc....Imho, I think the good out weights the bad.
I have to disagree somewhat.Increased visibility and more rigid rules will do nothing but help IMO. I cannot see addressingthis problem by becoming lax.....

I live in an area where they stock fish (trout and catfish). Due to the amout of money invested by the county and state, there aremultiple DNR officialsup and down the river checking license and writing tickets. It has been that way for years with trout fishing and to be honest it has helped. The "lawbreakers" know there chances of getting caught are higher and they play by the rules.

I just think it would be a big mistake to make it easier..........

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois is call in, You go through standard questions then "How many Turkeys did you see while hunting" and "How many Bobcats did you see while hunting" If it was like 2 years ago. Give you a number then you write it on your tag, not legal until you do I believe. Michigan has one, but as said before, its voluntary. I do it to get the successful hunter patch and to see what everyone else is bringing in. I thinks it a lot of fun to see what other guys in the area are bringing in. Nothing like seeing the rest stops on I65 backed up with hunters checking in there deer!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

first year here for us that we have to tag our deer before it can be moved,thenyou have to validate online or over the phone within 24hours.only check stations is on wma's and national refuges gun hunts only,archery you are supposed to fill out a harvest card and drop it in a unmaned checkstation box. THERE IS NO PERFECT SYSTEM THAT WILL ELIMANTE POACHERS OR DISHONEST PEOPLE.NO WAY THE GAME WARDENS CAN KEEP WATCH OVER SO MANY HUNTERS.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could see how a checkstation, store, gas station would be a neat social event/get together. Times are changing. It's a shame. High tech is messing up a lot of things as well![:@]I'll really be pissed when back tags are done away with here in Pa.