Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what should I expect??

Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 AM

Default what should I expect??

I have never shot field points until this year for practice. I have always shot BH 100% of the time. What can I expect when I shoot that BH for the first time?? My bow is tuned (paper) but that's it. I shoot well for my standards, but am I looking at a crazy BH flying everywhere?? Im will either shoot Muzzy or Slick trick Standards, 100 gr
Old 06-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what should I expect??

I'd stick the muzzy on there and find out if my bow really was in tune.

Paper tuning is useless in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look out BH's herewe come again. I am not going to mention the R word.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

This thread has nothing to do with a particular BH.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

This thread has nothing to do with a particular BH.
Not yet!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paper tuning is small step in the whole bow and arrow tuning process, not useless but usually just a beginning. At 15 yds a broadhead and a filed point may shoot to the same spot but if a person's range is out to 35 yds then they may find that the BH and FP no longer fly the same.

Some will say that you can just tune your bow to BH's and not tune it with FP's. In my opinion, if you want your bow and arrow to function with the most efficience and energy then they should be tuned in a number of steps that may or may not include all of the following: Paper tuning, bareshaft tuning, walk back tuning, group tuning and finally tuning with BH's. All of these methods are discussed many times and in detail in the Technical fourm.

EDIT to add: There is also laser and level tuning and that is very effective also but I still do it in conjunction (initial setup of bow)with the other methods.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM

what is good about paper tuning? I shot at 5 yds and 10 yds and that was it. I know that guys say that paper tuning is worthless, but why do so many do it? every shop I go to has a paper tuning stand and they always preach it....are they behind the times?? Should I take no confidence in my bullet holes??
Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Landon, If you bow is in proper tune you should have no problems shooting the Broadhead of your choice. I don't put much stock in papertuning. I prefer setting things up with a laser and level. After that I usually Walk back tune and broadhead tune.

Don't sweat it!

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

what is good about paper tuning? I shot at 5 yds and 10 yds and that was it. I know that guys say that paper tuning is worthless, but why do so many do it? every shop I go to has a paper tuning stand and they always preach it....are they behind the times?? Should I take no confidence in my bullet holes??
Papertuning is not worthless but it is too easy to get false readings due to shooter form/grip. etc. That's why I usually don't bother.

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 AM

I don't know how to do either!![&o]

Quick Reply: what should I expect??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.