Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what should I expect??

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what should I expect??

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I don't know how to do either!![&o]
Landon, You should be able to do a search on here and read all you want about it. I know there are many members that would be more than happy to explain the process on the phone, myself included.

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

they vary even the same broad heads on different arrows, I use muzzys 3 blade 100gr, they use to fly high....then they flew close/avg.....i figured they flew higher due to it being like a wing up front, cause I assumed they'd fly lower....

all I can say is get at 20yds aim dead center and see.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM

so lets say that i shoot and my BH fly different. Does this mean my bow is not tuned?? In years past I just moved my sight accordingly and hunted and killed deer..I want them to shoot well either way.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

what is good about paper tuning? I shot at 5 yds and 10 yds and that was it. I know that guys say that paper tuning is worthless, but why do so many do it? every shop I go to has a paper tuning stand and they always preach it....are they behind the times?? Should I take no confidence in my bullet holes??
Paper tuningwould begood if you only have limited space to shoot, say 15-20 yds, as walk back tuning and group tuning will take you out to 40 yds. I use paper tuning to make adjustments to my draw weight for a particular shaft and then bareshaft tune at longer distances to fine tune it. As far as false readings due to form and grip , they will show up in any tuning method, wouldn't they ?

It is my opinion that you can kill deer just fine with an untuned bow with the sight adjusted for BH's. It happens quite often every year .

I try to set up/tunemy bow and arrowreal well to get maximum performance/efficiency in case something about the shot does not go right. Also, at least for me, tuning helps me better understand how the bow and arrow are working together and it allows me to tinker LOL
Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM

well my bow is paper tuned and setup with the levels and lazer. and i shoot my FP's to sight in and i shoot my muzzys, and they fly the same, they might be off alittle but when i can hit a bottle at 35 yards that is more then enought to kill a deer, so i think you should be ok.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Landon, If you bow is in proper tune you should have no problems shooting the Broadhead of your choice. I don't put much stock in papertuning. I prefer setting things up with a laser and level. After that I usually Walk back tune and broadhead tune.

Don't sweat it!

Dan

Papertuning is not worthless but it is too easy to get false readings due to shooter form/grip. etc. That's why I usually don't bother.

Dan

AHHHHHAHHAAHHH!!!.... see that Landon.... what did I tell you about paper tuning a month ago when you were concerned about fletching contact! Affirmation right here brother!

If you've got some broadheads Landon we'll get together this coming week and we'll do a little walkback shooting. I need to dial mine in myself anyway. You'd be shocked how simple it is. And as Dan said, if the Ally is already tuned in well... then the difference should be minimal... especially with slick tricks.... with Muzzys.... that could be another can of worms.... a lot of that depends on your arrows... Muzzys can be very very picky about good flight.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Landon, If you bow is in proper tune you should have no problems shooting the Broadhead of your choice. I don't put much stock in papertuning. I prefer setting things up with a laser and level. After that I usually Walk back tune and broadhead tune.

Don't sweat it!

Dan

Papertuning is not worthless but it is too easy to get false readings due to shooter form/grip. etc. That's why I usually don't bother.

Dan

AHHHHHAHHAAHHH!!!.... see that Landon.... what did I tell you about paper tuning a month ago when you were concerned about fletching contact! Affirmation right here brother!

If you've got some broadheads Landon we'll get together this coming week and we'll do a little walkback shooting. I need to dial mine in myself anyway. You'd be shocked how simple it is. And as Dan said, if the Ally is already tuned in well... then the difference should be minimal... especially with slick tricks.... with Muzzys.... that could be another can of worms.... a lot of that depends on your arrows... Muzzys can be very very picky about good flight.
That's Exactly what needs to be done!

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Paper tuning is useless in my opinion.
No it's not.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

I was the one who said that....and take it with a grain of salt. I haven't paper tuned a bow that I've set up for 3-4 bows, now. I don't see the point. I don't use a laser. I do it by "eye" and then let the flight of the arrow determine my next (if any) adjustments.

I'm certain you could laser your center and level in and paper tune......but I think we all get to the same spot, eventually. We just use different methods.

TO ME.....paper tuning is a useless step in the process (if you're shooting BH's, anyways). I can tell MUCH more about my setup by watching my arrow in flight from differing yardages.

If paper tuning works for you.....by all means go for it. I don't do it, any more.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

OK Grasshopper.... you do it your way, I'll do it mine. I've done it for 38 years.

Quick Reply: what should I expect??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.