Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

If you've ever shot a deer with an arrow.......you kinda lose credibility when you argue that the exit hole is MORE important than the entry hole. Without the entry hole.....you stand NO CHANCE of having an exit hole.

And.....unless your pass-thru percentage is 100%.......you lose on that argument, as well.

Give me a big entry hole.....and a well placed arrow....and I'll take my chances with an exit hole. A well-placed arrow doesn't always result in an exit hole.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A "well placed arrow" without an exit hole does not always result in a good blood trail either. (Sometimes maybe no bloodtrail at all)

Speaking from experience only.

LT
Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used Spitfires on a number of deer and was completely satisified. Most of my friends use them as well with equal satisfaction. The only complaint I have is they are a one and done broadhead for me because changing the blades takes a steadier hand than I possess.

I switched to the R-word broadhead for the larger cutting diameter and ease in changing out blades, but if they stopped making them tomorrow I'd have no worries in going back to Spitfires.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Guys that want to argue with me in regards to entry and exit holes, here's a thing to consider:

There is no guarantee you will get an exit hole so don't you think it is important that the broadhead give you a big entrance hole?

I understand the exit hole out of a treestand will be at a lower point on the deer which usually give you a better bloodtrail but, again, what happens if you don't get the exit hole?

With so many bowhunters going to ground blinds the entrance and exit holes are pretty even on the deer so wouldn't it again be more important to have a big entrance hole in case you don't get a exit hole?

You don't have a exit hole without a entrance hole. Give me a huge entrance hole every time.

I guess a better way to say it is why not have both a big entrance and exit hole compared to hoping you get a passthroughand only a big exit hole.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM

You can't be certain of an exit hole and entry hole is important, I agree. That's why I asked if Spitfires make good entry holes. Based on the responses it seems typical to get about a 1'' entry hole with Spitfires,with a large exit. If I use a fixed head I'll have a 1'' entry and exit.

That being said, I've gotten a pass through on 19/22 deer. Sixteen of the deer were shot with mechanicals, 12 of those with various Rockets. The only 3 times I did not get a pass through was when I used a 2'' mechanical (twice) and when I hit the spine once. Majority of the time I've had about 57-61# of KE (last couple of deer I had about65#).
I now have 75# of KE. If I shoot a broadside (or slightly quartering)deer and only hit ribs I expect an exit, based on my experience.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are awsome broadheads. I havent shot a deer yet that i have actually had to track. All have gone down in sight. Try them, you wont be disappointed.