Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Default RE: NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Spitfires are one of those heads where the digital picture you show off is the exit hole, not the entry hole like in the case of the Rage. I had pretty good luck with them. One of the turkeys I shot, when reviewing the video afterwards, showed the head hitting a pretty stout little weed and turning the arrow just before it hit the bird. And one of my buddies had a bad experience hitting an antelope on a hard quartering away shot. One of the blades opened before the others and turned the arrow - causing it to follow a line between the hide and ribs. At least that was the presumption.He went back to Muzzys.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

LIke all NAP heads they sport nice quality razor sharp blades.......really nice blades on the Spitfire.

I only have one deer shot with one and it was a very short track job but yes it was probably the smallest entry wound I have seen on a any deer I've shot with mechanicals which is darn near 30 or so animals.
The retention clips are quite stiff and it takes some force to get em opened which I'm sure along with the rounded blade tips contributes to the delayed opening and incompatibility with lower energy set ups.

I would feel confident using them on game with my 70+ft lbs of KE but for consistent pass throughs I don't think I'd want to be too much below that level.

To tell you the truth, if I were to use them I would possibly remove the retention clips entirely and use a rubber band style blade retention ala Rocket to increase the speed that they open on entrance. I wish Rocket heads had blades comparable to Spitfires for sharpness that's for sure.

If you buy a pack of them make sure you take each head out of the package and check each and every blade for the force it takes to open. If any seem especially sticky make sure you try to tune it so that they all open together and with as little force as possible.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't go wrong using a 100 grain spitfire. They make great exit wounds. I don't care about a big entry wound. It's the exit wound that is more important. If there is no exit wound, then the entry wound made by the spitfire is still big enough to get a good blood trail.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Host of Hosts

I've killed 2 deer with them and they both didn't go very far. Last year I shot my 10 point with one and he left a massive blood trail. He went 35 yards. 2 years before that I made a bad shot on a doe and hit her a little far back. Even with a bad shot she didn't go 75 yards. I see no reason to switch mechanicals.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

I have shot 1 deer and 2 fox with spitfires. Deer had about a 1" entry hole, no exit (hit the off side shoulder) Both of the foxes and similar sized entry holes and huge exit holes. Overall I like the spitfires but I feel you need to be pushing over 60 ft/lbs of Ke to get the most out of them. Of all the mechanical heads I have tested the spittfires are one of the best in terms of quality of construction. Performance wise they are right in the middle of the pack.
A 1'' entry hole is comparable to a conservative fixed head.
I have 75# of KE with my X Force.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

As you have read, the exit hole is what people say is good on a Spitfire, not the entry hole, and the entry holeis by far the most important hole. If you don't get an exit hole you are much better off having a large entrance hole and that is what the Rage 2 blade gives you. I don't think pictures lie and the pictures of the entrance AND exit holes of a Rage is pretty impressive.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

the entry holeis by far the most important hole.
If you shoot an animal from a Tree Stand the exit hole will be the lowest hole and is definitely the most important for leaving a good blood trail.

A deer can go a long way before the chest cavity fills up and it starts dropping blood out of a high hole which most tree stands shots within 20 yards will have if made correctly.

Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

the entry holeis by far the most important hole.
If you shoot an animal from a Tree Stand the exit hole will be the lowest hole and is definitely the most important for leaving a good blood trail.

A deer can go a long way before the chest cavity fills up and it starts dropping blood out of a high hole which most tree stands shots within 20 yards will have if made correctly.

Dan

Thats what I was thinking??
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: annika3

As you have read, the exit hole is what people say is good on a Spitfire, not the entry hole, and the entry holeis by far the most important hole. If you don't get an exit hole you are much better off having a large entrance hole and that is what the Rage 2 blade gives you. I don't think pictures lie and the pictures of the entrance AND exit holes of a Rage is pretty impressive.

What? An entry hole is far more important than an exit hole? Who told you that one?Of course you have to have an entry hole to have an exit hole, but the exit hole is where most of the blood loss occurs, therefore a quicker kill. I know you don't have to have an exit hole to kill a deer, but I promise, with a big exit hole in the right place, the deer is not going very far, and with a good blood trail. The Spitfire leaves a great exit hole. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about which is better, rage or spitfire. They are both good, and you can use whatever you want. No broadhead is effective if it is not put in the right spot.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

LIke all NAP heads they sport nice quality razor sharp blades.......really nice blades on the Spitfire.

I only have one deer shot with one and it was a very short track job but yes it was probably the smallest entry wound I have seen on a any deer I've shot with mechanicals which is darn near 30 or so animals.
The retention clips are quite stiff and it takes some force to get em opened which I'm sure along with the rounded blade tips contributes to the delayed opening and incompatibility with lower energy set ups.

I would feel confident using them on game with my 70+ft lbs of KE but for consistent pass throughs I don't think I'd want to be too much below that level.

To tell you the truth, if I were to use them I would possibly remove the retention clips entirely and use a rubber band style blade retention ala Rocket to increase the speed that they open on entrance. I wish Rocket heads had blades comparable to Spitfires for sharpness that's for sure.

If you buy a pack of them make sure you take each head out of the package and check each and every blade for the force it takes to open. If any seem especially sticky make sure you try to tune it so that they all open together and with as little force as possible.

I've taken 16 deer with mechanicals, 12 of those with Rockets. The discontinued Gold Tip Gladiator made a good entry hole, but offered a lot of blade surface area (wind plane). I had a heck of an entry hole with the Mar Den Mini Max 2'' but made the mistake of using the head with about 58# of KE and I did not get a pass through. However the entry hole was full open, the size of an old silver dollar (no kidding) and the deerleft a heavy blood trail. The entry holes I've gotten with Rockets have not been so good, the discontinued Miniblaster 3L made a decent entry hole if pushed past 280 fps. The regular Miniblaster hasn't made a good hole for me when shot in the 280's and 290's. I've pushed the Wolverine past the 280 mark with resulting small entry holes. Rockets packaging advises the use of two o-rings when shooting above 300 fps. I am not going to use two o-rings because I think I would get a pencil size entry hole at 311. Likewise I'm not going to use just one since the directions call for two. My solution is not to use the Rockets.
I have 75# of KE. I've got 6 arrows with Slick Trick standards ready to go, fly great; but,the Spitfires offer more total cut and a 1 1/2'' exit hole should leave a lot of blood. I've used the Slick Trick once, last year. The Spitfire would be something new, I think I'll give them a try; if I don't like the result then I can fall back to the ST.

Quick Reply: NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.