Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Default RE: NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

ORIGINAL: 5 shot
Overall I like the spitfires but I feel you need to be pushing over 60 ft/lbs of Ke to get the most out of them. Of all the mechanical heads I have tested the spittfires are one of the best in terms of quality of construction. Performance wise they are right in the middle of the pack.
I have about 75 LB of KE with the X Force. I would be using the 85 gr. Spitfire.

I have some of the Rocket 3 LT 85 gr. heads, but they advise using 2 rubber bands when shooting over 300 fps. I do not want to use 2 rubber bands, as I don'tthink they don't open that quickly when only using one. The Spitfires have sharper blades too.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive killed 2 deer with spitfires, the only problem i had was penetration but i was using a weaker bow back then
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an exit hole with my NAP spitfire 100 grainers...

Always pass through on deer ...I'm shooting 65 pounds going about 270 fps out of my Hoyt. I left 2 bears dead in 20-30 yards with these too....Great head!..lots of kills with mine...

Go for it!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

Overall I like the spitfires but I feel you need to be pushing over 60 ft/lbs of Ke to get the most out of them. Of all the mechanical heads I have tested the spittfires are one of the best in terms of quality of construction. Performance wise they are right in the middle of the pack.
I have about 75 LB of KE with the X Force. I would be using the 85 gr. Spitfire.

I have some of the Rocket 3 LT 85 gr. heads, but they advise using 2 rubber bands when shooting over 300 fps. I do not want to use 2 rubber bands, as I don'tthink they don't open that quickly when only using one. The Spitfires have sharper blades too.
Barry,
I think if I were you, I'd ante up and get the 100gr heads, that would get your FOC around 12% guestimating, which should give you a little better arrow flight, and you'll still have plenty of WHACK when it gets there. Actually, you may bring a little extra KE upping your set-up 15gr. Just my thoughts though...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfires are the only mechanicals that I use in my crossbow and compounds...never have failed
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Any more?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

ive killed 2 deer with spitfires, the only problem i had was penetration but i was using a weaker bow back then
You are using a weak bow now. You REALLY shouldn't be using mechanicals with your setup. You can't complain of penetration issues when you are shooting 50lbs or less and using mechanicals.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

You are using a weak bow now. You REALLY shouldn't be using mechanicals with your setup. You can't complain of penetration issues when you are shooting 50lbs or less and using mechanicals.
im shooting 65 lbs now[:@]
Old 07-05-2008, 11:49 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've taken a couple of antelope and a couple of deer with them. They worked well for me. No complaints. They all opened and left a good exit hole.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: im ocd

Barry,
I think if I were you, I'd ante up and get the 100gr heads, that would get your FOC around 12% guestimating, which should give you a little better arrow flight, and you'll still have plenty of WHACK when it gets there. Actually, you may bring a little extra KE upping your set-up 15gr. Just my thoughts though...
I tuned for different arrows; now, I would be using the 100 gr. model.

Quick Reply: NAP Spitfire Experiences and Entry Holes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.