Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

which one is better??

Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which one is better??

I used to be into golf big time, but never really good - So I would definitely take bow shooting over golfing
Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

NY Bowhunter, no disrespect, Im not following, you said your were a PGA pro, yet you have not made the PGA Tour?? I know nothing about golf, how do you do that?? Please don't think Im being an *ss, I really don't understand how it works. Can you be a pro without doing the tour??
VA...

The PGA of America is a separate entity from the PGA TOUR. The PGA TOUR players are Professional Golfers. Members of the PGA of America are Golf Professionals. There's a difference.

The TOUR players make their living PLAYING golf. Memeres of the PGA of America make their livings teaching, merchandising, operating golf facilities, managing clinics, etc..., etc,... etc... .

Now it gets a little cloudy.....because, now....ALL members of the PGA TOUR are PGA of America members (or will be, in short order). That's due to the PGA of America's reign of controlling the Ryder Cup. To play on the Ryder Cup team.....you MUST be a member of the PGA of America.

So....Members of the PGA of America (to which I was elected, in 1994, and NYBow is a member) DO NOT (except under VERY, VERY limited circumstances) make their livings PLAYING golf.

Think of it as the GM's/Owners/Management/League executives of MLB v. the players (for a crude correlation). Lots will refer to what NY and I did/do as "Club" pros.

I've known a few "Club" pros who have padded their livings with their playing winnings....but I've never known one to make a living at it. I won a few sectional tournaments......and the 1st place purse, for those, was typically under $500. We did it to remain cometitive with our games......and for the camaraderie. I know guys who wtill make in the teens of thousands of dollars in our section playing those events.....but even today....they are the elite within our section. What they probably give up in regular club earnings (the best players play a LOT.....and usually don't have the better club positions) probably doesn't balance it out in the long run.

Hope this clears this up a little better.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM

So the PGA Tour is where the best of the PGA members play??? and the PGA members are basically golf pros at courses all over??
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting without a doubt. I'm fortunate enough that I can become very competitive at something if I desire, but also can pursue certain things casually without having to take it to that extreme level. For me golf has always been something to do with buddies while drinking beer and telling dirty jokes. It's a good time, but I always have known that I wouldn't have the time to really pursue it, so I have always left it as a casual past time. I'm a terrible golfer but do enjoy it when I go.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's an easy one for me. Regardless of how I shoot it's better than my Golf game.

I don't Play

Dan
Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

So the PGA Tour is where the best of the PGA members play??? and the PGA members are basically golf pros at courses all over??
That's "a" way of saying it.....lol. You have guys who have NO DESIRE to play golf for a living. None, whatsoever. And then you have guys who will go to every end to try and do just that. Nothing wrong with either man's approach. So...it's where the best of the PGA "Players", play.

I once heard Lanny Wadkins say......unless you're a +6 on your home course....don't think for a MINUTE you could play out on the PGA TOUR.

I think the average person can't fathom how good those guys really are (PGA TOUR players). Your average golfer can't, either. He has no concept.But.... that's not a derogatory statement. It's just a fact.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

You PLAY for a living.....or own/operate/teach?
Both (kinda). I definitely own and operate (I don't teach much) more than play nowadays, but part of my income still revolves on playing. I'm still pretty dedicated to my game. I don't play nearly as well as my "glory days", but still hanging on to thoughts of giving it another go someday if all the planets align right with all facets of my game. In the meantime there are ways to make money playing this game outside of section events and things like that ..... if ya know what I mean. That being said owning and operating a golf course is very demanding. Not as glamorous as people think (as you know).

Been to Q-School 3 times. I made it to the final stage my first attempt and folded like a cheap lawn chair there. The next time I made it to stage 2. My final attempt (so far)I didn't make it past the 1st stage. A wife and kid later and running out of money. I gave up hopes of making the PGA tour and wasn't making enough on mini tours.

I've done the Monday qualifier thing.....and that kinda reminds me of the caddy swim day on Caddyshack. I think they shut the pool down for the caddies for fifteen minutes. Last Monday Q'er I did had 154 players for 2 spots.
LOL that's pretty funny. I've seen some strange stuff at those too. They've changed that now to having a pre qualifier on thursday before the monday qualifier to weed some of that out. It's still a tough deal though. 2-4 spots with over 150 people trying for them. That became not worth the $400 -$500 entry fee too (plus food/gas/lodge). I never did qualify for one. I came within 2 strokes for the BC Open qualifier (triple bogey on #17). But that was as close as I came.

This whole thing is starting to depress me I'm going to the driving range.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

NY Bowhunter, no disrespect, Im not following, you said your were a PGA pro, yet you have not made the PGA Tour?? I know nothing about golf, how do you do that?? Please don't think Im being an *ss, I really don't understand how it works. Can you be a pro without doing the tour??
Valid question that gets asked a lot. Jeff pretty much summed it up. There are Professional Golfers (tour players)and there are Golf Professionals (Club Pros).

Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I once heard Lanny Wadkins say......unless you're a +6 on your home course....don't think for a MINUTE you could play out on the PGA TOUR.
That's a more than fair statement.

I think the average person can't fathom how good those guys really are (PGA TOUR players). Your average golfer can't, either. He has no concept.But.... that's not a derogatory statement. It's just a fact.
I agree 100% with that too. I still can barely comprehend how good those guys are.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Definately my shooting. When I shoot my bow I am right on target. When I play golf, I usually get full use of the course, if ya know what I mean.