Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take this shot?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you take this shot?

NOPE. 40yrds is my limit on animals. I got pins out to 60 but thats just for target(fun)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

I would climb down and crawl to him, if i cant get a shot doing that atleast i tried, it was better then sitting in the tree and just not doing anything.
X2, i picked no way!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, I wouldn't have any idea of where to aim. How much hold over? I go home with memories of what might have been. Besides that doe just might bring him in. You never know.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close.
Never!!!!!!!

Right on BHF! Bow hunting is up and close hunting, not a shooting sport!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am only hitting kill zone 70% of the time at 50 yards and have never practiced at 70 yards, then no way do I take that shot. Maybe with a camera so I have a picture to bring home. You have nothing but a hope and a prayer, if your lucky to either miss cleanly or hit something good, if not, you wound the deer, never recover him and he goes to waste. I think we owe it to the deer to keep the arrow on the rest here.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Given the situation...no

If it were ME though, I'm prepared to 80, just because I shoot a LOT. I do the majority of practicing at 40 to 80. I was shooting 100yards yesterday. I have my hunting bow setup for accuracy, and it's my backup 3D bow, and I'm trying to make it my primary 3d bow.

I'm thinking VERY hard about it, and I might take the shot. Given the wide open field, no wind, and the animal isn't alert. I would almost bet that the animal doesn't even notice my bow going off at 70yds.

Here's a 100yd group yesterday with my target arrows (Fatboys)

Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope! At 50 yrds I would probably take the shot. I just depends on the conditions. It's hard to say until you're in the exact situation but 70 is out of my league.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Given the situation...no

If it were ME though, I'm prepared to 80, just because I shoot a LOT. I do the majority of practicing at 40 to 80. I was shooting 100yards yesterday. I have my hunting bow setup for accuracy, and it's my backup 3D bow, and I'm trying to make it my primary 3d bow.

I'm thinking VERY hard about it, and I might take the shot. Given the wide open field, no wind, and the animal isn't alert. I would almost bet that the animal doesn't even notice my bow going off at 70yds.

Sorry Matt but in my eyes thats not a group. Its a bunch of arrows stuck in a target from 100 yds away. I shoot out to 100yds also and can hit the bag but for the length of time that arrow is flying that deer can move a good bit.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Given the situation...no

Sorry Matt but in my eyes thats not a group. Its a bunch of arrows stuck in a target from 100 yds away. I shoot out to 100yds also and can hit the bag but for the length of time that arrow is flying that deer can move a good bit.
If you take away the two fliers, I would consider that a group. We are also talking 30yds closer than this. I'm thinking about the shot. What would scare me away from taking the shot is what you said though, it gives them a lot of time to move.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

This question has been posed in a number of different forms before.For me the answer is no I don't shoot! I am sure a lot of us are fairly proficient out to 50 or 60 yards,some of us perhaps even further,but at those distances there is much more to it than our shooting ability.
Will the animal move suddenly?If a buck is tranfixed on an estrus doe he certainly could break and run toward her in the blink of an eye.In my mind that is not even close to a responsible shot to take.

Quick Reply: Do you take this shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.