Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are you a GREEDY hunter ?

The reason I would agree with DT:
My 100 acres is bordered by 900 that is hunted by two different clubs. I have spoken with some hunters from the clubs and learned how many deer they drove with dogs and shot. From the 600 acres across the creek they shot 97 deer and from the 300 that borders the other side they killed 53. I can only imagine the poor quality of the deer that were taken... if they killed that many.

Now this year I have food plots, mineral sights, and have gated off the only truck accessable road to my property. I have bushhogged the fields in hopes that the deer will congregate, and stayed away from known bedding areas to relax the deer that are on my property. I passed out flyers to the known neighbors warning them of trespassing and the leash laws regarding dogs. I included on the flyers pictures from my trailcams of their hunting dogs (numbers sprayed on their sides) and warned them of calling the warden. I have posted 150 "posted" signs over the bordering property lines.

I feel this way now because I remember the 2 button bucks I let walk, and the other deer that I "maybe" could of had a shot at. They probably ended up in the back of a truck with 10 others on top of them.

I wouldnt go to the extremes maybe that DT has done, but I know where he is coming from...IMHO
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

As bowhunters, our only advantage over our firearm hunting cousins would be an early crack at deer and little to no pressure as result of a shot. Aside from that, we are at a disadvantage.

In my experience, bowhunters are alot more secretive about their quarry and locations than most gun hunters/drivers.

We want to b do everything we can to increase our chances of a mature animal harvest.

So are you greedy ? Be honest. NO arguements, just the truth.

and give an example of how you are/were/will be greedy.

[hr]

FOR ME:

I am never satisfied with my property. When I secure a new farm, I immediatly contact the surrounding landowners in an attempt to secure thier land as my own or keep it closed to hunting.

Example:

I secured 680 here in central NJ. The same day that I was given exlusive permission to access this farm for hunting and fihsing, I was in contact with all of the bordering lands owners. 2 days later, that property grew to over 800 acres due to my efforts.

On my properties that border hunted parcels. I do EVERYTHING I can and spare NO EXPENSE to draw deer off of that piece and onto mine or re-direct the deer so that they wont pass onto that persons land. We have set up feeders and planted plots and designated bedding areas to aid in this cause.

We have also gone as far as constructing wire fences through the woods, over hundreds of yards so that deer couldnt access the bordering property. We then supplied all of the amentities that the deer were seeking on the bordering land.

THAT IS GREED....BUT Legal !!
I'm probably the exact opposite as you described! I enjoy hunting and love to help others out even if I have just met them! I like for all to succeed and if I can help in ANY way, I'm there!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Depends if I'm hunting private or public. If I'm hunting public....I never see a deer. Never. I'm not sure why, it must be because I'm sitting in the wrong spot or something. There's deer sign everywhere, but no deer. Where exactly am I, you ask. Just over that hill.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM

That's a lot of work and money just to be able to post pictures of deer on the internet.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

DT, I'm not going to comment on your hunting tactics. That's your business. If it's legal and you sleep good at night, so be it.[8D]
I thinkit's ironic as hell that you post this thread, because I was asking myself this very question not very long ago! In fact, I was going to post a thread, and ask you guys/gals if you thought I was indeed "greedy" for the way I carry myself in reguards to my hunting spot.
As I've mentioned many times, I hunt almost exclusivelyonState land. I have gone out of my way, on this forum, and on the outside as well, not to mention specifically where I hunt. There are actually some guys on here who live not too far from where I hunt.
Even at the parking areaon this land, I don't tell guys exactly where I'm hunting. I think there's only one guy who does know where I go because he's hunted back there himself. Anyway, I guess this would be considered "greedy" by some. But I see it as protecting a good hunting spot so it doesn't wind up being over hunted bytoo many hunters in the future.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM

I wouldn't call that greedy at all, EI. I'd call it perfectly normal. If you we're to go around announcing your hotspots, then I'd just call you a FOOL.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't consider myself greedy. I only bowhunt the property I have access to. I asked the landowner to deny other people to bowhunt but I am denied rifle hunts on it. I do everything I can to help out around there and I don't specifically tell everyone where I hunt or what I see. I've had muzzleloaders walk by during late season, but it is not my land so what can I say? Scream too loud I could get denied what I have. Not worth it. As for putting up a fence to keep deer in the property, doesn't that also keep them out? Bucks roam during the rut and that sounds like preventing something that could be memorable.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

not greedy but alot was taken from me so some things have changed
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.