Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 Questions / Think On This

Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 Questions / Think On This

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

What is the unknown factor for a liver hit deer that determines whether it runs off and dies within a minute, or 6 hours? Is it merely whether you hit that main blood vessel in there? You are likely right with the blood vessel consideration.
Can heavily[/b] pressured[/b] mature bucks be killed outside the rut on a regular basis? (Legally) Can they? Yes.I havn't been able to accomplish it yet though.I know only one person im my area that has.
Would you rather hunt a non-funnel area that is TORE up with scrapes and rubs or a more funnel-like area that has little overall deer sign? If it is smoking hot sign of what I believed to be a big buck,I would want to hunt it but only if I could do so as to not to compromise the area.Unfortunately these instances are pretty rare for me at home but out west I have had 3 or 4 instances where I have found area's that were tore up with fresh buck sign and have taken bucks after setting up on it.I believe it has lot's to do with estrus does and buck to doe ratio's.
How long without success do you go before making changes to your location and or tactics? Meaning, if you are in an area where you think you should be seeing and/or killing more of your intended target animals than you are; how long do you keep sticking with your approach before getting more aggressive or trying other tactics. Two to three sits.If I havn't seen what I am looking for in that period of time,either my timing is wrong or the stand is wrong.
Every time you set foot in the woods to hunt, are you putting yourself in a situation where you feel you have the greatest chance at killing a deer? I certainly try to.
How much effort do you put into hunting “lesser” properties over the course of a season? I am not sure as how to define lesser? I grade my spots on what time of the season I think they will be productive and what kind of buck or bucks are in an area and can I hunt a property at a particular time.
Do you think deer (and other game animals where applicable) should be managed solely for hunters & their enjoyment, or should it be a “resource first” approach, where a balance between habitat/herd and other influences are all considered? Always resource first.
Why are people so sensitive to comments about their hunting style, and generally closed minded to what’s being said? Unfortunately many folks are not very open minded,I definitely have opinions about things but I am always willing to listen and also to be wrong,if I am.
Conversely, why do people find it necessary to comment on others hunting style, and are generally closed minded to how that person hunts? Same answer as above.
Do we really need to raise our efforts to recruit more hunters, when land access is declining at a faster rate than hunter numbers, and EVERYONE complains of hunting lands being too crowded? Isn’t that backwards? More hunters fighting over less land can’t possibly be something good to look forward to. I am not settled on this personally,I can make a case either way.
[ol][/ol]
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 Questions / Think On This

I agree tsoc. That is good info right there. I know there are others here with questions and answers. Maybe they are putting a lot more thought into their questions before posting. I hope more will chime in here.

LT