Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 Questions / Think On This

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 Questions / Think On This

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Why can't there be federal hunting properties?

I think there are. National forests, U.S. ARMY Corps of Engineers land, etc. Though they are not designated specifically for hunting the option is there. Oh yeah, don't forget BLM lands.
Most national forests and Army Corps. properties I've seen are strictly off limits, most public hunting opportunities I've seen have been state funded, therefor suffer.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I think there are. National forests, U.S. ARMY Corps of Engineers land, etc. Though they are not designated specifically for hunting the option is there. Oh yeah, don't forget BLM lands.
Most national forests and Army Corps. properties I've seen are strictly off limits, most public hunting opportunities I've seen have been state funded, therefor suffer.
Its pretty much the opposite here in Tx. There is very little public land. The best I've found has been federal land. The state run WMAs are very highly pressured and cost an extra $48 a year to hunt. ( I know $48 isn't much but you sure don't get much) The federal land is also pressured but not so badly. I've done some research, ( and research is a must!), and found some USACE lands that don't get such heavy pressure. A lot of folks don't know hunting is allowed or where to get the proper permits. I will find the links I have at home if anyone is interested in them. I have managed to get maps and even been told of some potential hot spots. All it takes is some work.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Its pretty much the opposite here in Tx. There is very little public land. The best I've found has been federal land. The state run WMAs are very highly pressured and cost an extra $48 a year to hunt. ( I know $48 isn't much but you sure don't get much) The federal land is also pressured but not so badly. I've done some research, ( and research is a must!), and found some USACE lands that don't get such heavy pressure. A lot of folks don't know hunting is allowed or where to get the proper permits. I will find the links I have at home if anyone is interested in them. I have managed to get maps and even been told of some potential hot spots. All it takes is some work.
One good thing about forums like these is that you can get information on areas. Here, It's completely different. I have literally thousands of acres of Public and WIHA areas available to use at whim for free. It just depends on the state and what they throw at their budget. Hunting overall would greatly benefit from what our state has done.... besides the shortage of game wardens and the abundance of poachers.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is the unknown factor for a liver hit deer that determines whether it runs off and dies within a minute, or 6 hours? Is it merely whether you hit that main blood vessel in there?
Can heavily[/b] pressured[/b] mature bucks be killed outside the rut on a regular basis? (Legally)
Would you rather hunt a non-funnel area that is TORE up with scrapes and rubs or a more funnel-like area that has little overall deer sign?
How long without success do you go before making changes to your location and or tactics? Meaning, if you are in an area where you think you should be seeing and/or killing more of your intended target animals than you are; how long do you keep sticking with your approach before getting more aggressive or trying other tactics.
Every time you set foot in the woods to hunt, are you putting yourself in a situation where you feel you have the greatest chance at killing a deer?
How much effort do you put into hunting “lesser” properties over the course of a season?
Do you think deer (and other game animals where applicable) should be managed solely for hunters & their enjoyment, or should it be a “resource first” approach, where a balance between habitat/herd and other influences are all considered?
Why are people so sensitive to comments about their hunting style, and generally closed minded to what’s being said?
Conversely, why do people find it necessary to comment on others hunting style, and are generally closed minded to how that person hunts?
Do we really need to raise our efforts to recruit more hunters, when land access is declining at a faster rate than hunter numbers, and EVERYONE complains of hunting lands being too crowded? Isn’t that backwards? More hunters fighting over less land can’t possibly be something good to look forward to. [/ol]
Old 06-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Damned good set of questions, right here......and I'll only give you my "opinion".

1. Why do juvenile bucks stalk does in an area well worn by more mature deer?

My theory is....the dominance of a buck is determined by who's present at any given moment. If the big boy(s) is away.....the normally subordinates are gonna get them some.....be they 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 or older.

2. Why do many hunters view themselves as superior than others when it comes to deer? Its hunting, your never the absolute best at it.

IMO...it has everything to do with the size (antler size) deer they shoot. You'll see it occur this and every season. Just watch for the two guys who shoot 4.5yr olds....one in KS (180")and one in SC (105"). For some reason....the 180" deer is more of a conquest and a testament to the hunter. Can't figure that one out, either...........

4. If there is a history of failure in a certain type of equipment, why is it not outlawed?

Good question. I was thinking about this, last night. I've been aroundfishing and fishing equipment for my whole life in some way or another. The fishing reel has come a long ways in those 40+ yrs.To think thatinnovations and improvements haven't come along to perfect said equipment is simply showing how far down in the sand one wants to bury their head.It seems we have a few that think all new reels are ****....because their Zebco 202 backlashed on them in 1971.

5. Why do some people consider themselves hunters if they've never really "hunted"? (scouted your own deer,patterned an animal, learned a property, did it yourself?)

It's the internet. Have you heard Brad Paisley's song?

6. Why do most of the people on here cry over accessorieslike women?

I prefer "lady".....but the problem isn't the discussion of the equipment. It's stoopingto personal insults in the absence of a valid argument to support your opinion.

8. Why are trail cams so valuable to people that do not own ranches?

IMO...inventory.

9. Why are people so obssessed over scent control and camoflauge when its more than likely you can shoot the same deer in blue jeans while smoking a cigar?

For the times when "more than likely"doesn't apply.

10. Why can't junior hunters and other members that have access to hundreds of acres, go out and learn animals and their habits on their own... rather than coming to a forum to learn about someone elses deer, in another state?

Why would you not want to teach them.....and teach them the right way to go about it? it would be like having a child and not giving him/her any direction in life. Not following why this is an issue.....other than greed.

Opinions, all......

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why would you not want to teach them.....and teach them the right way to go about it? it would be like having a child and not giving him/her any direction in life. Not following why this is an issue.....other than greed.

Opinions, all......
I have no problems with people asking legitimate deer hunting questions... Like what's this I found or whatever....
But taking what I do here that works for me, and applying that to a kid just starting out, should and probably will not work.
Its what makes most hunters great is the time they have spent"personally" in the woods, not living vicariously through someone else. Go out and screw up, go spook deer, go be a tool in the woods...
It's how everyone I know learns, Just keep it safe, keep your head screwed on right, be a predator.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you gave me a headache rybohunter. Lol I am impressed with the questions. Now if we can get some "educated" answers.

Here are my questions.

1. What are the most nutritious plants/forbs that deer like the most in your hunting area?
2. Do Bucks prefer to travel ridge tops, ridge edges, or bottomland during the pre-rut/rut?
3. What is the most common mistake (in your opinion) that bowhunters make that cause them to be busted by does or bucks?
4. Outside of the pre-rut/rut, have you seen more action in the morning or evenings.
5. In the pre-rut/rut, do you see more action in the mornings or evenings?
6. What is "your" reasoning behind "staying out of rut stands" until the rut?
7. When entering or leaving your stand, do you "ever" use a light of any kind? Why do you feel the need?
8. Do deer move more during a foggy morning/evening than they do during a light rain?
9. If walking thru a noisy, dry, leaf covered forest floor is your only entrance/exit route, do you go in before daylight and leave after dark? Or do you wait till first light to enter, and leave after dark?
10. Do you really believe getting sweated up going into your stand set and then spraying/wiping down with scent killer helps? Explain your experience.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Good questions LT

I can only answer a few due to lack of experience.

3. What is the most common mistake (in your opinion) that bowhunters make that cause them to be busted by does or bucks?

IMO it is movement more than anything. I had three does under my stand at 12 yds last gun season and I was shaking (I dont see that many deer) and they busted me and troted off.

6. What is "your" reasoning behind "staying out of rut stands" until the rut?

I think certian people like to save them for that few days where the rut ishot and heavy. I guess just to keep sent out of there and not bust any deer before the rut.

7. When entering or leaving your stand, do you "ever" use a light of any kind? Why do you feel the need?

Yes If I dont know the area and have bright eyes leading to my stand but I find the eye cover it or turn it off, walk a little way and then try to find the other eye.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, when I wrote them out they had numbers & spaces, but when it copied & paste, it went in all together.

1. What are the most nutritious plants/forbs that deer like the most in your hunting area? acorns, corn, beans, and from what i've read greenbriar to browse in winter.
2. Do Bucks prefer to travel ridge tops, ridge edges, or bottomland during the pre-rut/rut? Yes
3. What is the most common mistake (in your opinion) that bowhunters make that cause them to be busted by does or bucks? Scent & movement
4. Outside of the pre-rut/rut, have you seen more action in the morning or evenings. I spend much more time in the evenings, so my answer is probably skewed that way
5. In the pre-rut/rut, do you see more action in the mornings or evenings? Evenings
6. What is "your" reasoning behind "staying out of rut stands" until the rut? I can't get in & out without scenting the place up or potentially busting out deer.
7. When entering or leaving your stand, do you "ever" use a light of any kind? Why do you feel the need? I use a red lens light. I can move more quietly that way. It does not spook deer.
8. Do deer move more during a foggy morning/evening than they do during a light rain? Off the top of my head, I prefer light rain to fog. I have no memorable times in the fog.
9. If walking thru a noisy, dry, leaf covered forest floor is your only entrance/exit route, do you go in before daylight and leave after dark? Or do you wait till first light to enter, and leave after dark? I've never waited to first light regardless of what my entrance conditions are.
10. Do you really believe getting sweated up going into your stand set and then spraying/wiping down with scent killer helps? Explain your experience. Better than getting sweated up and not trying to spray/wipe down. Although sometimes if its that hot I won't bother & just hope the wind doesn't swirl or change on me.

Quick Reply: 10 Questions / Think On This

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.