Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

I liked to consider my hunting post-modern meetsneoclassical.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Being a kid in the 60's and 70's and remembering how my Grandfather and his buddies hunted and comparing that to today, I can't see anyone today being old school. The closest to that would be the recurve/longbow guys.

Now relative to a lot of what I read on here, I would consider myself closer to it than a lot of guys. Through trial and error and many hours afield, I have learned that most of the junk guys spend their money on is nothing more than them falling prey to good marketing by all the ads they read in magazinesthat rely on these marketers as their advertisers.

Not being cynical, to each their own, but if a lot of you guys would spend the same amount of time hunting without all the soaps, scent blockers, scent eliminators, etc, and hunt some without any camo at all....well I think a lot of you would realize how minimal, if any effect all of this stuff has on your sucess or deer sightings.

The same with having the latest bow, the newest fall away rest, the newest arrows and broadheads, sights,etc. If Archery in general is your passion and this allows you to shoot better target scores, so be it.

But hitting a paper target the size of a quarter at 20 or 30 yards doesn't necessarily equate to being a more successful hunter. I shoot the same bow and set up for the last 8 years. I could just as effectively shoot the old bow I had before it and my effectiveness would stay the same as a hunter.

But the fact that I usecommercially made hanging stands, a double bull ground blind, a compound, a release, a range finder, and a trail camera.....old school?? Not even close.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

honestly, where i hunt I can't see more than 50 yds usually in any direction. I just don't want the extra weight in the bag, nothing against them, they just don't serve a purpose for me and where I hunt.
Although not often.. I'd have to greatly agree with Greg with an H.

Hunting without bino's is a great impairment. I'm not sure what good could ever come from hunting without them despite low visibility. You are missing out on so much.

I am completely naked and without when I do not have mine.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 PM

I don't know what I missing I guess.....I guess I could get a pair, they are not consider new school, I just don't have any...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm middle of the pack and I hold the things that make me confident and successful close to me....but I'm weak at new technology....but as I get older...I sway towards old school....if it works for me...I keep it.....

Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am more old school. I like the old style of hunting hard each time out and earning your "wings" in the woods instead of starting out with state of the art hunting equipment and techniques....
Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 AM

No trail cameras, no food plot, no GPS (Though Im thinkin bout gettin one) My boots are LaCrosse Fangs, Who cares about what cammo clothes, sometimes I wear blue-jeans and a Navy blue work shirt. Dirt and mud make excellent face cammo/insect repelent with natural scent. I do use scent nuetralizer (did I spell it right?) One API climber, or I use whats in the woods for natural blind. I try to rely on Natural food sources, water and bedding area. There is so much water in Louisiana that I cant always rely on that. I try to find where the deer hang out, but even still I rely on luck. SO yeah mabey I am kinda old school (Minus the bow)
Ive had people tell me, "Make a food plot"-but the woods are a big food plot, "get this or that new gadget" but I realy love the way I hunt it makes it fun for me. I stopped gun hunting because sitting in a box stand on a huge food plot shootin deer 200 yards away was no longer exciting for me. Now I may not kill as many deer as I used to but I still do pretty good
Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, I guess I'm modified old school. I quit a recurve years ago, got a new wheelie bow, but other than that, no food plots, bait, trail cams or any of that stuff. Usually have no stands hung and rarely hunt the same tree more than a time or two in a year. I like to explore and wander to new spots, look for sign and put my climber to work. I love the deep woods. I can't stand field hunting or pasture hunting of food plot hunting. If a field is there I'll hunt approaches to it deep in the woods.
Davidmill saved me a bunch of typing
Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

i'm a bit of both. i use my dad's old bear polar ltd. bow, i wear coveralls my dad can't fit anymore that he got sometime in the early 80's. i don't know crap about winds and rattling, all i know is i don't want it blowing behind me, and i use doe urine around november 1 for about 2 weeks. i chew tobacco while i hunt ( i spit in a bottle though). however, i do use newer camo during the early part of the season while it's still warm, my stand is pretty new, and i put some corn and salt out.