Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

honestly, where i hunt I can't see more than 50 yds usually in any direction. I just don't want the extra weight in the bag, nothing against them, they just don't serve a purpose for me and where I hunt.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

There is no "downside" to binos....other than a little weight. And...with the harnesses of today....I rarely know they're there (weight-wise).....and it's probably saved me shooting a BB a time or two.

Of course I'm probably gonna be labeled "new school". I've only been hunting DEER 2.5yrs. I hunt where I find deer....even though the only terminology I learned will have me labeling those areas as pinch points, funnels and staging areas. Thats how I learned them.

I started out using grunt tubes, cover scents, cough silencers,attractant/scents,trail cams EVERYWHERE, etc...

Now...I go to stand with a bow, my stand and a bow hook. I haven't put my trail cam out, this year....and I won't, until about a month from now....and then I'll only leave it out for 4 or 5 weeks. I'll use technology to help.....but I'm a minimalist. My bowhunting will reflect that as I season. It's already heading in that direction.

This deer hunting thing isn't exactly quantum physics.There are those, though,who'd have you believe otherwise......and they're new and old schoolers, alike.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM

Well I'll be.....Jeff we agree!!!!!!!That may be the best response I have ever seen you post. Im not being a jerk either, I really respect that response.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty well except I use trail cameras.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Old school here. I make my own gear, wear old camo (or no camo), and usually huntin natural hiding spots. I think alot of published deer hunting "strategies" make for a cute Bambi and Bambette story, but areunrealistic. I don't care for QDM stuff, growing food plots, trail cameras,Scentlock, ATVs, or technology.It's funny though, 20 or so years ago when I started, I rose rapidly to teenage technogeek, readingand buying into everybook and article like it was gospel, and buying upthe latest of everything I could afford. Thenthe suspicions started, along with a yearning for simplicity, tobeon a more level playing field with the game, and a nagging feeling that what I was doing at the time wasn't geniune "archery". I've gone backwards in time from there and haven't looked forward since.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do shoot a compund bow with a release, and use binocularsbut that is about as new school as I get. I like to scout so I do it by foot. Have never owned a trail cam. Nor have I ever owned a piece of property where I could try QDM.
I like my "broken in" camo, and my bow is definitely not the latest and greatest, but it definitely gets the job done.
I do not hunt out of a tree, or out of a blind. I find bothto betoo confining, besides I like to go out and find game so still hunting is my prefered style.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old school here. I make my own gear, wear old camo (or no camo), and usually hunt in natural hiding spots. I think alot of published deer hunting "strategies" make for a cute Bambi and Bambette story, but are unrealistic. I don't care for QDM stuff, growing food plots, trail cameras, Scentlock, ATVs, or technology. It's funny though, 20 or so years ago when I started, I rose rapidly to teenage technogeek, reading and buying into every book and article like it was gospel, and buying up the latest of everything I could afford. Then the suspicions started, along with a yearning for simplicity, to be on a more level playing field with the game, and a nagging feeling that what I was doing at the time wasn't geniune "archery". I've gone backwards in time from there and haven't looked forward since.
Thats respect AK!! I like your style.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am young, yet old school for sure. My jacket is about 8 years old and the pocket has fallen off the side, hard to zip, and has silver paint on it. I still use the EZ grunter plus as i have since 1998. Still have my first deer rifle, just a few scratches added over the years. Have had my hat for 3 years and wear it even though it is faded out. MY early season shirt was made by mossy oak and discontinued in 1999. I do have a 2006 ally, oh wait that is old now. I hunt food plots, but still rely heavily on a funnel and natural crops such as acorns for my hunting. Scrape lines and rub lines are my main source of hunting during the rut. I scout at night with a spotlight, like my family has done forever. I bought a buck roar, but ave yet to let it roar in the woods only a grunt and snort wheeze. Corn is still my mineral of choice. I hunt in an old squeaky tripod 90% of the time. The other time is spent in an old white house and small ladder stand. They all make noise. Hunted in a climber 5 times in my life. I have had the same shotgun for over 12 years. Always shoot winchester ballistic tips and reminton bird shot and gold tips are a main stay. Say what you will it works still.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Technology is a good thing. I do not like old, faded camo. I have a GPS and a laser ranger finder. Aluminum arrows-maybe for target shooting with my recurve. Fiber optics and fall away rests are the best thing since sliced bread. Oh, and let's not forget advances in string materials-yeah! The new fangled has been good to me, chalk one up for the "new school".
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: twildasin

GregH ...come in... show us some tree bark clothing and your old school bow!
LOL! I may look old school (because I'm old) and use old equipment, but I'm constantly learning about my quarry every year.

BTW, going to my stand without my binos would feel as natural as hunting naked to me! [:-]

Quick Reply: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.