Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Im a mix, i like using all the new and current stuff but my financial ability makes me more of an old school type of hunter (kinda weird since im only 17 ).
You're well spoken for your age. You're going places!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use trail cams,I hunt with recurves and longbows,don't use camo,scentlock,blinds or gumoflage.I do use carbons and carry binocular's though
Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

GregH ...come in... show us some tree bark clothing and your old school bow!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a good mix of the two. I hunt with an old school mind set, but I don't mind using a bit of technology when it can play to my favor. Besides that, I think I enjoy my trail cams dang near as much as I do hunting deer themselves. But even at that... you have to put your trailcam in the right spot.... or you'll get nothing but raindrops and song birds.

As to equipment, as long as I comfortable I don't bother with new clothes. My bow is fairly new, being bought last year, so its pretty state of the art. I use can bleat calls... but thats all. I'm pretty big into scent prevention/control technology, but don't use many attractant scents.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm so old that they didn't have schools when I started. LOL Yup, I guess I'm modified old school. I quit a recurve years ago, got a new wheelie bow, but other than that, no food plots, bait, trail cams or any of that stuff. Usually have no stands hung and rarely hunt the same tree more than a time or two in a year. I like to explore and wander to new spots, look for sign and put my climber to work. I love the deep woods. I can't stand field hunting or pasture hunting of food plot hunting. If a field is there I'll hunt approaches to it deep in the woods.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM

HA! My boots aren't waterproof anymore either! I know exactly what you mean. lol
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I love the deep woods. I can't stand field hunting or pasture hunting of food plot hunting. If a field is there I'll hunt approaches to it deep in the woods.
An we agree on something again.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

I'm old school also,I like to loo for deer sign and follow it throughout the season as the deer change their feeding and moving routines,when it comes to bowhunting I like to saetup in the woods not on the field edges.I do plant a couple of food plots that are mainly for rifle hunting and to keep the deer in the areaThere is something to be said about locating a spot in the woods that your gut tells you this is the spot and the payoff is a deer down,man what a feeling.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM

davidmil you and I do agree on this one!!! I rarely hang a stand, I use my climber 95% of the time. I don't use scent lock, I don't have one of them fancy wrist grunt calls, I don't have a trail camera, I don't even have Binos!! I still use a single waist safety strap!!! Not smart!!! I do shoot a new bow and a release but not a fancy one.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

VA, just a quick question:

Why no binos? they have been around forever and i dont see a downside to them

Quick Reply: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.