Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it meritorious or pathetic?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it meritorious or pathetic?

I've found with my bow....its nearly perfect...

I was considering a drop away rest...recently to improve on an already great bow setup, and I said to myself why fix what's not broken?

I won't hesitate to spend the money and buy the best, but if I buy the best a year ago and now the latest and greatest is a tad better Idon't see the point in continuly changing my set up.

I really don't think products will help me geta bigger buck....or see more deer persay, I see improved quality of products as making me a better hunter, ie if I can now shoot groups to 50yds vs 40yds, I'm not into gadgets that'll try and find deer for me....or stuff like that, I think the best hunters, are skilled not only at shooting, but the act of hunting, playing the wind, not scent lok, which may help but even guys with scent lok still play the wind, i think learning skills of hunting will benefit anyone omre than any product ever will.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe you can say it any better than what GregH said.No gadget is necessary to kill deer,gadgets can actually get in the way or delay the skills or learning curve of a hunter as a result of being reliant upon them or having false hope.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think some of what I meant to say came thru. I didn’t intend to bring up a compound vs trad thing. I was leaning more towards people relying on gadgets rather than woodsmanship to help them get a deer. And even more so, since it’s been SUCH a big topic, is spending ridiculous amounts of money on 6 different types of heads striving for that “best” one. When in fact they could screw on any one of the “lesser” heads and kill a deer without issue. I think you’d have to search harder to find a BAD head, than you do to find a good one nowadays. Yet people have become completely obsessed with finding that one magical head that’s going to work for them. I think if people put half the amount of energy into hunting/scouting as they do obsessing over what head is the perfect one, they’d be a lot better off.
You could probably insert 90% of the other equipment categories that people obsess over as well. There seems to be a big difference in researching something that you want use on your rig to see if it is functionally sound, and obsessing that every little tidbit of the accessory is the absolute ultimate performing item that is critical to your success in the woods.

There, I feel much better now J
Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 AM

my compound isnt quite as up to date as some people's are on here, i mean it is still pretty new, but other then that my only gadget i have is my rangefinder and the reason i have that is because i am young and cant judge distance.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please - could someone give an example of a bowhunting gadget?

Everyone rails against them but aparently nobody personally possess any gadgets. What exactly are these mysterious gadgets? Is it just new equipment? An awful lot of repliers to this thread have some interesting descriptions of very new equipment in thier sigs....If it is just unnessessary, whats up with the camo, release aides, treestands...just to skim the top.

I generally do not buy new stuff as it is overpriced in my opinion. But I will not get on a high horse about it.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ry - I think you've just nailed down the biggest difference between the "pro shop crowd" and the guys who just hunt. If you're spending all summer obsessing over sights and rests and arrows, you're NOT spending that time obsessing over scouting, planning ingress/egress, looking at stand sites, and plotting your attack.

If you think the new Kevlar arrows are gonna make the difference, or if you're really hung up on the big decision between Muzzy and Rage, the joke's on you.

2 totally different groups of people, and the difference really only shows up at the check station, IMO.

There are people out there (and I know a lot of them) who like the IDEA of hunting WAYYYYY more than they like ACTUALLY HUNTING. For Example, these people will log 200 hours at the range and 3d events all summer, obsessing over every possible gizmo and accessory - but when the rubber meets the road, they put 3 days in the tree.

Nothing wrong with that . . . but not my way of doing things.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't call it pathetic but it kinda reminds me of the kid in school that had to have the latest greatest clothes, shoes, bike....whatever.

It probably makes them feel better inside, but as far as helping them be more successful, I don't think so.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

There are people out there (and I know a lot of them) who like the IDEA of hunting WAYYYYY more than they like ACTUALLY HUNTING. For Example, these people will log 200 hours at the range and 3d events all summer, obsessing over every possible gizmo and accessory - but when the rubber meets the road, they put 3 days in the tree.

Nothing wrong with that . . . but not my way of doing things.
That is a dead nuts on statement right there. Some people like to play the part of the hunter....others like to Hunt.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't go nuts with technology. My trail cam is about as far teched out as I'll get. I've got the basic things I need/want to help me be as effecient as I can be. I'm a firm believer in "to each his/her own".
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used gadget for lack of a better word. I really never meant to point to a specific gear item, but more a way of thinking.
It seems many people think that if they have the latest gear, decked out with all the accessories, that they stand a better chance at killing a deer because of it. Kind of like the “just stepped out of the catalog” syndrome.
Rather than an individual compensating for a shortcoming, there is now some gear item that does it for you. As the season nears we’ll get more questions about what call or scent will bring in the big one. Meanwhile the person could be served much better in asking what subtle signs to look for when picking a stand location, such that calling one in from 100’s of yards away is not needed.
(not a knock on calls & scents, they are undoubtedly effective, but I think far too many people want to rely on them, as opposed to them just being a tiny piece of the overall puzzle)

I’m not saying it ain’t fun to have toys, BUT it just seems like there is a growing mindset that the toys are the underlying key to success, when really they are the accent details that make up the whole process.

A lot of you summed it up nicely for me. Way to go King!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.