Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it meritorious or pathetic?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Is it meritorious or pathetic?

I'd venture to say that most people invest in more and more gadgets, and anew bow/bows every year not for the advantage in the woods. . .but for the exceptance of others . . .to keep up with the Jones's. Or better yet, be one step ahead of them.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'm not really sure if it is pathetic or noble.. but I would venture the guess that it could be based only on the individual who is doing said things to take a great deer.
I agree.

Hunting is a game where you will get out what you put in. Nobody else knows the toils you face except you. And when you get back to the clubhouse or the bar or the gas station, you can tell all the lies you want, and if you have a deer, folks will generally believe it.

To me, a picture of a big dead buck is just that... a big dead buck. It doesn't matter if it was knifed, rifle shot, double lunged with a self bow and knapped flint arrowheads, or hit by a truck. Its just a dead deer.... but to you the hunter who took said deer... it is either something to be proud of, or something you just hope to use to make yourself feel better about yourself.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I really don't care what anybody else uses or buys. I only care about what works for me. Until recently, I've worn the same hunting clothes/camo pattern for over 20 years. My heavy hunting jacket is 21 years old. I shoot an 11 year old bow, aluminum arrows, fixed blade broadheads and use a grunt call.I don't use any scent killer products, I just hunt the wind. The right wind. The biggest thing that has increased my success is studying deer behavior. What they like and what they don't like. I do not rely on gadgets.
After reading this post Greg, the owners of Scent Loc, Rage, Realtree, and every other kind of arrow other than aluminum all had a secret meeting, it had something to do with hiring a hitman.

I have only been bowhunting for about 20 years but I can still remember when none of the high tech, "next big thing" products were around. Somewhere between then and now everything has gotten very commercialized and many people buy into it. Not saying they are wrong but there were lots of big deer killed before the "commercial era" of hunting began. I truly think many hunters hunted smarter then than they do now.

Now it seems like "Well I can still hunt that stand even though the wind isn't quite right because I have scent block on and I sprayed down this morning", I know it's not everyone but it sure seems pretty common and that's just one example.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't care what anybody else uses or buys. I only care about what works for me. Until recently, I've worn the same hunting clothes/camo pattern for over 20 years. My heavy hunting jacket is 21 years old. I shoot an 11 year old bow, aluminum arrows, fixed blade broad heads and use a grunt call.I don't use any scent killer products, I just hunt the wind. The right wind. The biggest thing that has increased my success is studying deer behavior. What they like and what they don't like. I do not rely on gadgets.
I really like what Greg said here. Lubricious and BHF said it right in my opinion as well. Here's my take on it. I hate all the gadgets out there!! People shot deer 20 years ago just fine without all the gadgets on the compounds and without all the scent eliminator clothing. You don't need all that hyped up ****, what you need to do is use that melon on top of your shoulders so you can get these animals with in decent shooting range. Learn to hunt better instead of relying on gadgets or a better faster bow to fling arrows out there a long ways. Allot of people could save allot of money if they put more time into learning the animals there hunting instead of having the so called best of this and the best of that. I could care less what people do or use but more and more hunters IMO are relying more on there equipment and clothing then they are on hunting and knowledge. JMHO!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I really don't care what anybody else uses or buys. I only care about what works for me. Until recently, I've worn the same hunting clothes/camo pattern for over 20 years. My heavy hunting jacket is 21 years old. I shoot an 11 year old bow, aluminum arrows, fixed blade broadheads and use a grunt call.I don't use any scent killer products, I just hunt the wind. The right wind. The biggest thing that has increased my success is studying deer behavior. What they like and what they don't like. I do not rely on gadgets.
After reading this post Greg, the owners of Scent Loc, Rage, Realtree, and every other kind of arrow other than aluminum all had a secret meeting, it had something to do with hiring a hitman.

I have only been bowhunting for about 20 years but I can still remember when none of the high tech, "next big thing" products were around. Somewhere between then and now everything has gotten very commercialized and many people buy into it. Not saying they are wrong but there were lots of big deer killed before the "commercial era" of hunting began. I truly think many hunters hunted smarter then than they do now.

Now it seems like "Well I can still hunt that stand even though the wind isn't quite right because I have scent block on and I sprayed down this morning", I know it's not everyone but it sure seems pretty common and that's just one example.
Well said NEW!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I really don't care what anybody else uses or buys. I only care about what works for me. Until recently, I've worn the same hunting clothes/camo pattern for over 20 years. My heavy hunting jacket is 21 years old. I shoot an 11 year old bow, aluminum arrows, fixed blade broad heads and use a grunt call.I don't use any scent killer products, I just hunt the wind. The right wind. The biggest thing that has increased my success is studying deer behavior. What they like and what they don't like. I do not rely on gadgets.
I really like what Greg said here. Lubricious and BHF said it right in my opinion as well. Here's my take on it. I hate all the gadgets out there!! People shot deer 20 years ago just fine without all the gadgets on the compounds and without all the scent eliminator clothing. You don't need all that hyped up ****, what you need to do is use that melon on top of your shoulders so you can get these animals with in decent shooting range. Learn to hunt better instead of relying on gadgets or a better faster bow to fling arrows out there a long ways. Allot of people could save allot of money if they put more time into learning the animals there hunting instead of having the so called best of this and the best of that. I could care less what people do or use but more and more hunters IMO are relying more on there equipment and clothing then they are on hunting and knowledge. JMHO!
Great points man, no gadget will help you get that buck more than your brain and a bow. But then again, just because people shoot compounds instead of trad bows, doesnt make them a different hunter IMO. Most people invest into a bow because it is their hobby and they like shooting. I know this is the case in my case anyway. I dont even want to attempt to add up what I have spent on my bow, but no purchases were in the mindset of "now that big guy is history". Different strokes for different folks. But Schultzy bro, you cant completely hate all the new gadgets, you employ multiple trail cams to help you scout don't you?

I may be wrong but I THINK the thread was geared towards gadget for hunting, not so much gadgets for bows. In this case, I think it is neither pathetic nor noble. It is just some guy wasting his money to keep up with the Jones. I find myself guilty in some ways, but being a young hunter, what I may consider buying new "gadgets" might be considered stocking up on neccessities to others.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not much on gadgets, I was going to purchase one of them Butt Plugs until everyone on here made fun of them, so I just decided to keep using my finger.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like new Bows! Always have, I don't smoke, drink up a chunk of my paycheck, gamble it away, buy golf clubs, etc.

Archery has always been my main Hobby. I like shooting and enjoy the latest and greatest. I am in a great position being a dealer so ithas nevercost me verymuch to trade up every year. So it's the smart thing for me to do.

As far as gadgets?? Give me a well tuned bow, a straight arrow, a solid broadhead, and I'm good to go.

I do likeplaying with a lot of gadgets and every once in a while you find a worthy gem in the pebbles.

You could just say everything new or innovativeare gadgets and not worthy of consideration, but that's pretty closed minded.

I enjoy trying new things, new products, and new methods. Bowhunting it's what I Love to do!!

I hope I never think I can't learn something or find a new toy that helps me. If that was the case I might never have tried a range finder, grunt call, etc.

Dan
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Great points man, no gadget will help you get that buck more than your brain and a bow. But then again, just because people shoot compounds instead of trad bows, doesnt make them a different hunter IMO. Most people invest into a bow because it is their hobby and they like shooting. I know this is the case in my case anyway. I dont even want to attempt to add up what I have spent on my bow, but no purchases were in the mindset of "now that big guy is history". Different strokes for different folks. But Schultzy bro, you cant completely hate all the new gadgets, you employ multiple trail cams to help you scout don't you?

I may be wrong but I THINK the thread was geared towards gadget for hunting, not so much gadgets for bows. In this case, I think it is neither pathetic nor noble. It is just some guy wasting his money to keep up with the Jones. I find myself guilty in some ways, but being a young hunter, what I may consider buying new "gadgets" might be considered stocking up on neccessities to others.
I wasn't calling out just the gadgets on the compounds. I also said scent eliminator clothing as well. What a compound was 10 years ago to what a compound is now gadget wise is crazy, thats what I was reffering to when I said gadgets on a compound. I'm not comparing Traditional bow hunters and compound bow hunters one bit either. A compound hunter can have the same hunting styles as a Traditional bow hunter has or vice versa. I know many who do. All I was saying is you don't need all this stuff to be successful. Use that head thats put on your shoulders instead of relying on clothing, gadgets, technology, it will make you a much better bow hunter I believe. I mean no disrespect to anyone who has all the gadgets on there bows or who uses anything else to step up there game, thats completely up to the hunter and as long as its legal more power to ya. They are just not for me and not needed in my opinion.

As for the trail cam I use It don't bring the deer or bear in any closer then they were before. It don't allow me to take farther shots. I have to admit though I did and do feel a little guilty on using one. It don't get them in any closer but it does tell me some on what I've got around. Not once last year though did my brother or I see any of the 5 P&Y bucks we had on camera. The booker I got we had never seen on camera either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.