Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question

Old 02-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question

Is there any animals you can shoot legally with a bow just to help sharpen your stalking/shooting skills while deer season isnt in. I thought about groundhog but wanted yalls opinions.
Have any of yall tried anything like that?
Old 02-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question

Ground hogs work. If you' re near pigs they work. About everything else has seasons you have to work around. I guess probably nothing beats plain ole stump shooting and walking unless it' s climbing a tree, shooting some arrows and moving on. Be great exercise I guess. Practice,... practice... practice... experiment and play will work just fine for most. Rabbit are fair game in lots of places. Finding an animal to shoot at leaves lots of down time when you' re not actually honing skills you' ll use for deer. I just have to believe plain old practice does more for muscle memory and confidence.
Boone & Crockett

I can only speak for Va., but here goes:

All year round you can hunt:
Groundhog
Skunk[:@]
mice
rats
coyote[:' (]
nutria []
hog
starlings
sparrows
pigeons

In season
Spring Gobbler

Now if you get any mice or sparrows with your bow, please post a pic!

Dont know what the game laws are up there. Down here in Florida I can shoot rabbits and armadillos year round. I lay off the rabbits by the end of February but I keep popping the armadillos throughout the spring and summer.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Huntin' FOAM critters at shoots will not hurt you in the least.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh man I almost forgot tomato hunting!!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Taz, you forgot...PETAs
Old 02-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot think of anything else besides groundhogs that you could legally hunt and hope to actually shoot with a bow in the offseason... But, like most other folks, I go to at least one 3D shoot each month just to stay in good shooting forum. It is something to consider.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Armadillos are tough on broadheads arnt they benhuntn . Coons , allways pop a coon if I can . Had one bite an acc in half last weekend , after a perfect shoot , he didnt last long after that .
Old 02-28-2003, 11:16 AM

Crow are legal in Ohio year round, but only on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. We have a lot that hang out in the fields around our place. It' s kind of like hunting small turkeys. I believe coyote & wild boar are also legal year round. I' ve heard coyote but have never seen any. And good luck finding any wild boar. Another thought would be bowfishing. There are a lot of lakes around here with way too many carp. Not sure of the regulations though. Check out the Ohio DNR website.

This could be a fun thing to do occasionally but I think that 3d or just plain old target shooting is better practice to keep in shape during the off season.

Quick Reply: Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.