Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

There are a lot of guys who frequent this site who are involved in other outdoorpursuits, experts in their own narrow niche. There areplenty of these other areas of expertise thatmay beof interest to the rest of us. Hunting-related stuff that isn't necessarily big game or whitetail specific. Hell, it may not even be bowhunting-specific.

So I challenge you guys totell us something that we don't know. Something hunting-related. Something that someday, somebody might actually find useful, and mighthelp them have a good day in the field.

Get off your lazy asses and dosome research and learn something. Sharethe fruits of your laborhere. Just pick an animal and research it. Do it for yourself. Do it for your family. Do it because you're a great American hero. Do it for the love of the game. Do it for the King.

Mushrooms, animals, plants, bugs, weather, etc.... No constraints. Just randomly pick a species and put together your own little fact sheet.
__________________________________________________ __________

I'll start with the Eastern Marmot, t/d/b/a the Groundhog.

I happen to know a bit about groundhogs, and take great joy in blasting them with sniper hardware. What I didn't know, I looked up. Here goes:

Groundhog populations have exploded in certain areas of the eastern U.S., due to agricultural and suburban sprawl. Hardwood forests have been cleared to make room for patchy developments, golf courses, farms, and highways. With these new land features come a wide array of pastures, grassy patches, fencerows, fields, yards, lots and thickets. These places are prime groundhog territory.
[ul][*]Groundhogs are subject to extremely high mortality rates, and the average individual never sees its first birthday.[*]If a hog does survive its first year, it is likely that this particular individual has either a very paranoid, reclusive personality, or a safe den site - either of which may enable him to survive for several years thereafter.[*]Groundhogs main predators include: Foxes, Raccoons, Opossums, Humans, Motor Vehicles, Coyotes, Domesticated Dogs, Hawks, Owlsand Stray Dogs.[*]Groundhogs are very paranoid, and look around to survey their surroundings every 12 seconds, on average.[*]They can live up to 5-6 years.[*]They mate in early spring (Feb-March), with a one-month gestation period. One litter per year. 2 pups would be a small litter, 9 would be large.[*]Normally, pups will first emerge from the holes in June or July.[*]They live in family units, and even once apup is weaned, it will likely satellite sometime over the first summer, and dig its own den within a short walking distance from its mother.[*]They eat about a pound of vegetation per day.[*]Dens have multiple-exits (usually) - and holes can be over 30 feet long.[*]Hogs usually build tight 90-degree bends into their den pipes so that they can lash at would-be predators who attempt to raid the den.[*]A cornered hog will chatter its teeth, growl, bark, whistleand bite if you give him the opportunity.[*]Groundhogs can and will climb trees.[*]Even while hibernating, groundhogs wake up once every week to move around to prevent muscle atrophy. Males must awake in top physical breeding condition in early spring - so they actually "exercise."[*]In early spring, males cruise for females much like bucks in the rut. They retain their basic home range, and rarely venture into unfamiliar grounds.[*]Hole drainage is a big concern for groundhogs, so they prefer to dig their holes in high spots, hillsides or banks, as opposed to soggy bottoms.[*]Groundhogs in southern states may not hibernate at all, weather-permitting.[*]Individuals have distinct personalities - some are antisocial and mean, while others may be curious, social and sometimes intrusive upon others. Just like humans.[*]Active holes are easily identified by fresh dirt scattered around the mouth of the site. You can also smell the dirt for the stench of urine to see if it is active.[*]Woodchucks have excellent vision that is stimulated by movement.[*]They also have superb hearing.[*]Groundhogs are excellent swimmers.[*]They have huge buck teeth, which grow (and are worn down) continuously.[*]There are techniques for pulling live hogs out of their dens.[*]A big hog will weigh 11 pounds. A really big hog will scare 15. A monster hog can approach the 20-pound mark.[/ul]

Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Turkey vultures often gorge themselves so full that they cannot lift their bodies off the ground to escape an approaching predator. They often vomit in the face of the attacker; this serves two purposes: One, it deters the attacker, obviously -- but it also lightens their lift-off load and allows them to get in the air.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Turkey vultures often gorge themselves so full that they cannot lift their bodies off the ground to escape an approaching predator. They often vomit in the face of the attacker; this serves two purposes: One, it deters the attacker, obviously -- but it also lightens their lift-off load and allows them to get in the air.
Interesting info there Greg!! I had no idea.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Off of quiks' post:

Groundhogs, woodchucks, and whistlepigs are all the same thing.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm convinced groundhogs are actually pretty smart animals. I've probably killed hundreds of them over the years, and during the off season it's honestly one of my favorite things to do. I have seen them do some pretty clever things, and they adapt VERY quickly and pattern danger very well. To give you an idea of how smart they are I'll sharea quick story from this weekend.

My one foodplot is roughly 320-350 yards from the front door of my cabin. It's a straight shot from the camp to the plot, with good line of sight. Saturday I mowed the entire plot, and sure enough a couple hours after I was done mowing there was a hog in the plot. I opened the door on the cabin, kicked out the legs on my bipod, and rested the back of my .223 on a cooler for a perfect rest. Now I'm not 100% on where I had the gun sighted in (dead on at 100, or maybe 2" high?) so I whistled at the groundhog with my fingers to make him standup (I usually do this to get a taller profile to shoot at for elevation mistakes). Well I whistled, he stood, and just as the trigger broke the little $Q@#$! ducked back down to continue eating, my shot went just about 4" above his back where his throat would have been had he still been standing. [:-] Of course, he runs to his hole and isn't to be seen till that evening.

Round 2.......he's in the plot, I open the cabin door, get setup with a solid rest, crank it up to 14 power, and whistle to make him stand up. The second he heard my whistle............he takes off for the hole. He obviously now associates the whistle with danger. My dad was there watching me and I decided to give the hog 55 grains of hail mary as he ran across the plot and came up about 4" short and sprayed him with dirt just before he made it back into his hole..........[:'(].

I'll get him next time I'm down there. Now it's personal. [8D]

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've actually been vomited on by a vulture when I was a teenager. I'm not going to share that story on here, but one day hopefully we can meet up and I'll share that one in person. I had it coming to me though, I'll say that much......lol.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Human sweat is an excellent wasp-repellant.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Over 80% of the world's monkey population is made up of monkeys. Each year, hundreds of ants die due to monkey attack. Researchers believe this number would be far less if ants were as big if not bigger than monkeys.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Possums (come on, we all love them) have kind ofsad lot in one respect. They have up to 25 babies at one time, but only 13 teets from which to suckle, so only the strongest survive. Sucking hind tit really takes on a new meaning for the possum! Also, they are the only animal that is immune to rabies.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Did you know that ants make up 15-20% of the weight of all living things on the earth, and that they outweigh humans.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Over 80% of the world's monkey population is made up of monkeys.
Actually, 100% of the world's monkey population is made up of monkeys!

[8D]

Quick Reply: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.