Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

LMAO! I can't go on, guy's I'm joking, I watched in on "Strange Wilderness", the movie with Steve Zahn. Actually the 80% stat came from there, but the rest I made up. I think I'm most proud of the aquatic bird part.
I knew it...lmao. I could tell from the first post that you were just messin around, well, that and the only found in the northern and southern hemisphere post. lol

you hooked a few of us on that one...lol
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tsoc

As a result of reading this incredibly informational thread I have determined which animals I am most similar to.Apparently the lion and the pig.
LMAO
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM

To get rid of a ground hog put a lit fusee down each hole,cover with rocks and dirt and goodby hog and holes.Whitetail deer will come into heat every 28 days ,if not bread .This goes on intomarch here in Pa. How about this one a gray fox is afeline and a red fox is a canine.

[/align]
Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry buddy but a grey fox is in the same canid family as the red fox, different species though.
Taxonomic Classification
[*]Kingdom: Metazoa ((=Animalia) multicellular animals)[*]Phylum: Chordata (chordates)[*]Class: Mammalia (mammals)[*]Order: Carnivora (carnivores)[*]Family: Canidae (canines)[*]Genus: Urocyon[*]Species: Urocyon cinereoargenteus floridanus[*]Common Names: Gray Fox, Grey Fox (of the southeastern United States) [/ul]

My useless stat, contrary to popular belief, a black bear is not a true hibernator. This is because they do not lower their body temperature or heart rate less than a few percent of regular.

Also, Rabbits have such a fast metabolism that they can not fully digest all of their food. To fix this the eat it twice. Not by regurgitation, but they eat their solid waste right out of their corn hole as soon as it comes out, then let it flow the second time around. This way it stay cleaner!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

insteresting post.. i wish i had something to add...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very few animals can breed with another species and produce offspring. Horses and donkeys can be bred to produce mules or hinnies. The difference lies in whether it is a stallion breeding with a female donkey (hinny) or a mare breeding with a male donkey (mule). While rare, some mules will actually be fertile, but only when bred by a purebred horse or donkey, not by another mule. Mules are generally more sought after than hinnies because of their greater size.

Another instance of this is ligers and tigons. A liger is when a male lion breeds with a female tiger.

The resultant offspring is the largest cat in the world. It closely resembles a tiger with diffused stripes and is a very stunning animal.

The tigon is the result of a male tiger mating with female lion. It is slightly more rare for this to happen due to male tigers sometimes missing the lioness' cues that she is willing to mate. The tigon offspring is usually smaller than the liger because of some growth inhibitory genes passed on from the lioness.

Both ligers and tigons have sterile male offspring, but the females are fertile and can be bred with a male lion or tiger.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

"Sort of".. "Domesticated"...but good to know...

Your dog....and 3 things you should never do with him (and a tip that might save his/her life, someday).

1. Never allow your dog to enter a doorway before you. He is a subordinate to you....and allowing this type behavior promotes "alpha" tendencies.

2. Never allow your dog to eat....until you've eaten (for the same reasons). Your dog is a pack member.....not a pack leader. I went so far as to spit in my dog's food bowls when they were young.....if I was feeding them...and they didn't know if I had eaten, or not. It's also a good idea to have your dog sit and wait for you to "release" him/her to their bowl.

3. Never let your dog WIN a game of "tug of war". This is a way, in their world, to impose dominance over a sub in the group. It's "OK"....and even encouraged to play these type games with your dog....but it's a game he/she can NEVER win.

Once you have your dog good on the "sit" command.....practice it in differing situations. For instance......have your dog sit when he's not right by you. When he'll put his ass on the ground WHEREVER he is.....you've got it half-licked. To notch it up a little......run around the yard with him......and command him to sit when he's at play. I don't care if he's on a dead run.....he needs to park his ass on a dime. Having my dogs do this has proven to be a life saver (for the dog) on one occasion (headed towards the raod with a car coming..in a strange neighborhood)....and possibly saved them an ass-whipping, once...when they took off after a racoon. They both plopped down while in a dead run after him.

I like my dogs "just" before rolling over on their backs when they come up to me....as a sign of submission. I've also never had an instance of aggression in any of my dogs.....towards me, a family member....OR another dog. There's fewer things that irk me more (when discussing dogs)than a dog that's proven HE is the pack leader when around his family. "Most" dogs crave to be submissive.....and are uncomfortable in the alpha role. They'll assume that, though.....if you allow it.

The first time you give your dog something to do.....it's a command. If he doesn't obey you....EVERY time.....the second thing out of your mouth is a "request". If I wanted a dog I had to "request" things from.....I'd just get a cat. THE key to all of this is consistency with ALL family members.....and not overdoing it (just to make him do something). Fine tune your commands.....and let him be a dog.

Bloodcreek.........good luck with your new pup. I'm looking forward to hearing of the progressing successes.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"Sort of".. "Domesticated"...but good to know...

Your dog....and 3 things you should never do with him (and a tip that might save his/her life, someday).

1. Never allow your dog to enter a doorway before you. He is a subordinate to you....and allowing this type behavior promotes "alpha" tendencies.

2. Never allow your dog to eat....until you've eaten (for the same reasons). Your dog is a pack member.....not a pack leader. I went so far as to spit in my dog's food bowls when they were young.....if I was feeding them...and they didn't know if I had eaten, or not. It's also a good idea to have your dog sit and wait for you to "release" him/her to their bowl.

3. Never let your dog WIN a game of "tug of war". This is a way, in their world, to impose dominance over a sub in the group. It's "OK"....and even encouraged to play these type games with your dog....but it's a game he/she can NEVER win.

Once you have your dog good on the "sit" command.....practice it in differing situations. For instance......have your dog sit when he's not right by you. When he'll put his ass on the ground WHEREVER he is.....you've got it half-licked. To notch it up a little......run around the yard with him......and command him to sit when he's at play. I don't care if he's on a dead run.....he needs to park his ass on a dime. Having my dogs do this has proven to be a life saver (for the dog) on one occasion (headed towards the raod with a car coming..in a strange neighborhood)....and possibly saved them an ass-whipping, once...when they took off after a racoon. They both plopped down while in a dead run after him.

I like my dogs "just" before rolling over on their backs when they come up to me....as a sign of submission. I've also never had an instance of aggression in any of my dogs.....towards me, a family member....OR another dog. There's fewer things that irk me more (when discussing dogs)than a dog that's proven HE is the pack leader when around his family. "Most" dogs crave to be submissive.....and are uncomfortable in the alpha role. They'll assume that, though.....if you allow it.

The first time you give your dog something to do.....it's a command. If he doesn't obey you....EVERY time.....the second thing out of your mouth is a "request". If I wanted a dog I had to "request" things from.....I'd just get a cat. THE key to all of this is consistency with ALL family members.....and not overdoing it (just to make him do something). Fine tune your commands.....and let him be a dog.

Bloodcreek.........good luck with your new pup. I'm looking forward to hearing of the progressing successes.
This works for children as well

Anyway .... after reading this entire thread, I would like to change my answer to " I'm actually dumber, having read this."
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

A pigs orgasm lasts 30 minutes. I swear, you can look it up.
Exactly why I date ugly women.[&:]
My favorite!

It is a fact that... If Frogs had wings (I talked to one) he wouldn't bump his nuts everytime he went somewhere!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a few facts I have witnessed in nature here lately.

Fact #1 - It is so hot here, our chickens are layin' hard-boiled eggs.

Fact #2 - It is so hot here, we are having to water the mailbox just to get mail.

LT

Quick Reply: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.