Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

d loop material

Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Default d loop material

I was just wondering if there is a certain brand or a type of material that you look for when it comes to picking out the material you use for your d loops, also on the same note... are there different thickness' of loops?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: d loop material

BCY!!

Nuf said

Dan
Old 06-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is the loop material I use. I can't remember who makes it. Maybe someone can help me with the name. It comes with three loopsin a little plastic packet, with one of the loops tied around this plastic shaft to show how it should be tied. I LOVE this loop material and diameter.
I'll know the name when I hear it!

I just thought of it. It's Eastman sting loops!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get mine from here: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2471478
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used most all of the loop material that is out there. BCY is pretty good, but in my opinion there is better stuff out there. Zenith makes some great stuff, Gibbs/Winners Choice makes some stuff that is supposed to be really good too. My personal favorite though is the Paradox colored material that comes on a spool w/ 5 colors. It has 15' of each color, and you can buy the entire spool for around $20. I know Keystone Country Store has it, but it's hard to find anywhere else.

It meltsgreat without getting brittlelike any good polypropylene material will, and it's available in a decent amount of color options.What I like best about it though is that it's a bit stiffer and thicker than BCY. I've noticed that BCY will sometimes seperate and soften up the serving on even the tightest of servings on a string after thousands of shots and the Paradox doesn't see to do this.In addition,the BCY #24 material is pretty thin at 2.0mm,and the extra surface area from the thicker Paradox stuff (2.5mm) seems to just grip the servingbetter. BCY seats prettygood, but the Paradox is better in my experience. Also, because it's a bit stiffer than the thinner stuff out there, it also is less prone to collapsing.

Just my thoughts........
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I get mine from here: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2471478
Ditto here!! Catherine is awesome to deal with and BCY loop material is great stuff

Dan
Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I have used most all of the loop material that is out there. BCY is pretty good, but in my opinion there is better stuff out there. Zenith makes some great stuff, Gibbs/Winners Choice makes some stuff that is supposed to be really good too. My personal favorite though is the Paradox colored material that comes on a spool w/ 5 colors. It has 15' of each color, and you can buy the entire spool for around $20. I know Keystone Country Store has it, but it's hard to find anywhere else.

It meltsgreat without getting brittlelike any good polypropylene material will, and it's available in a decent amount of color options.What I like best about it though is that it's a bit stiffer and thicker than BCY. I've noticed that BCY will sometimes seperate and soften up the serving on even the tightest of servings on a string after thousands of shots and the Paradox doesn't see to do this.In addition,the BCY #24 material is pretty thin at 2.0mm,and the extra surface area from the thicker Paradox stuff (2.5mm) seems to just grip the servingbetter. BCY seats prettygood, but the Paradox is better in my experience. Also, because it's a bit stiffer than the thinner stuff out there, it also is less prone to collapsing.

Just my thoughts........
GREAT info, right there, Matt....and much appreciated. I'll check into that material from KCS. I purchased some BCY and was pleased with it, I guess. The ONLY issue I had with it....is I think it's less durable than some others. It's a bit disheartening to get a D-Loop tied on "just perfect" (length.....and Matt you know what I'm talking about).....only to have it fray in not so many shots.....and also to kinda be less than "sturdy". What I mean by that is.....I'd HATE to be fiddling with my loop/caliper connection at the moment of truth. In a target situation.....no biggie. In a hunting situation, though......I want my loop to be extremely rigid. I wanna know my calipers aren't going to push the material around (I hope that makes sense).

Hope you're having a great summer, too, Matt. Good luck this fall. Hopefully we can run into each other again.....if I make it bac to PA around Halloween (which we're planning).
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Jeff, I agree. I, too, have noticed the durability isn't what I hoped it would be. BCY tightens and seats very nicely, it doesn't spin on my string at all. But in 3 months, I've tied on 3 loops because of exactly what you're talking about. In fact, I had 1 that broke completely.....Ouch....I thought maybe it was my release, but I tied one for a couple buddies as well. Nope. It's not my release.

Matt, thanks for that info. I'm going to try that myself. All we carry at the shop is that camo braided crap, and I can't stand that stuff. It doesn't seat w/ a damn, and the knots spin on my all the time.