Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rage Broadheads

Muzzy.

I accidentally pulled the practice arrow from my quiver.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Does the 3 blade cut as much surface area as the 2 blade? It could be close!
Greg,
I have no scientific proof to back it up other than my own experience but I truly believe it is the lateral cutting diameter that does the trick.......the reaching out and slicing as much tissue VS simply more blades and "cutting surface" that seems to drop an animal faster.

If you take a head with a two blade 2" cutting diameter (or more on impact) and compare it to say a 1" fixed head but for giggles throw 10 blades on that 1" diameter head and increase the "cutting surface" by whatever that math is?.........LOL you are still only damaging an area 1" laterally and affecting a smaller area.

Sort of like the absolute extreme you can think of (and I know it sounds rediculous but I think it has some merit in the "Diameter vs, Surface" arguments)
Take a broadhead with a 24"two blade cutting diameter (yes I said 2 FOOT cutting diameter. ) and hit a deer with the blades straight up and down with enough energy to pass through...........you've effectively cut the poor sucker in half and the track job will for all intents and purposes be a relatively short one.
Now take a broadhead with a 1 1/2 cutting diameter and throw enough blades on that puppy to equal 24" worth of "Cutting surface", just stack as many in there as your heart desires..........

Which one caused more damage?
Matt, I tried to edit your post but I didn't have the power.......[>:]

Anyway, I think I get your point..........

Which does more damage? Chopping your victim in half with a sword or just impaling your victim with said sword.

Right?!!

For me, the jury is still out on the cutting length vs cutting diameter.

It is agreed that any well placed shot with any BH will do the job just fine. So now we must be talking about marginal to poor shots. This always boils down to the pros and cons of BH style (mech vs fixed).

which one ....

has the best penetration....

is least likely to glance off of a rib or bone.....

could or could not open in flight...

is more prone to losing a blade when contacting something hard (bone)....

The list goes on. If one kills game faster, to what degree?

I remember hearing that something with less moving parts would be more trouble free.

To me, the difference between the two is almost like splitting hairs (except for the seemingly greater possibility of something going wrong with the mech).

For now I will stay with my trusty, time prooven, reliable fixed blade BH.

Did I mention time prooven and reliable!!?? [:-]

Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original:Matt / PA But the notion of "Holding back" on cutting diameter to possibly SAVE a animals lifeon a marginal hit is almost kooky IMO. So all of a sudden the very deadly head that you put through both lungs is going to keep an animal alive because you hit the edge of a lung, liver and guts? WHAT?
I am not nor was I referring to a "notion" to possibly save an animals life. Let us refer to the "marginal hit". Say you shoot a 12 point 200" bruiser and get a "marginal hit". Say above the lungs, deer ducked the shot. Now with the 2" rage you may only slice open the deer's back causing a frustrating tracking job and no deer, until infection possibly sets in and the deer unkowingly dies. Now, let's say you make the same shot and you are shooting the small, insignificant 1 1/4" cut fixed blade. Chances are, it will either be a complete miss or a hair shaver, from which the deer will likely survive to be hunted again. I am saying that I would rather have a dead recovered deer than a lost miserable, suffering, infected one. That is all. Yes, things can happen with both types of broadhead. The chances for something going wrong with someones broadhead of choice is their/my decision. No one else's.

Original: Matt / PA IF we are taught to shoot the most draw weight we can shoot comfortably from any position why too shouldn't we shoot the biggest sharpest broadhead we can also safely and reliably use that compliments that set up?
I am comfortable shooting a deer at close range with a Smith/Wesson 44 MAG too, but why should I do that when I can safely and efficiently do it with a 4 blade broadhead. I mean the 44 MAG "will" inflict "maximum tissue damage". We over analyze the effects of a broadhead I say. Quick's post pretty much summed it up. I do want a reliable broadhead, but to say the 2" cut is necessary to inflict necessary "maximum" tissue damage is absurd. I know a guy once who got cut up with a 1/2 knife blade so bad you would have thought a grenade hit him. I'm just sayin'.

What you're saying is that the Rage does too much damage and on a marginal shot that it will die but you might not find it compared to a smaller head that might not do much damage which might allow the deer to live
See above^.

LT

Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learned this from the King : I'm stepping out of the norm here and quoting myself from back on page 1.... see below in bold...! [8D]

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I love the 2 blade, never had a problem, they do some serious damage and leave massive blood trails! What else could you ask for!

Unfortunately some that never shot the Rage will disagree with anything good that is said about the heads! They have issues!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not nor was I referring to a "notion" to possibly save an animals life. Let us refer to the "marginal hit". Say you shoot a 12 point 200" bruiser and get a "marginal hit". Say above the lungs, deer ducked the shot. Now with the 2" rage you may only slice open the deer's back causing a frustrating tracking job and no deer, until infection possibly sets in and the deer unkowingly dies. Now, let's say you make the same shot and you are shooting the small, insignificant 1 1/4" cut fixed blade. Chances are, it will either be a complete miss or a hair shaver, from which the deer will likely survive to be hunted again. I am saying that I would rather have a dead recovered deer than a lost miserable, suffering, infected one. That is all. Yes, things can happen with both types of broadhead. The chances for something going wrong with someones broadhead of choice is their/my decision. No one else's.
Ya know.....I'd say this if it was anyone.....but really....that's about themost assinine jibberish I've read on here in a long time.

Isn't there an old saying about opening your mouth....and removing all doubt?[8D]
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learned this from the King : I'm stepping out of the norm here and quoting myself from back on page 1.... see below in bold...! [8D]

I love the 2 blade, never had a problem, they do some serious damage and leave massive blood trails! What else could you ask for!

Unfortunately some that never shot the Rage will disagree with anything good that is said about the heads! They have issues!
Question for ya Joe. I never once said they are bad heads but I did say I would never shoot them for the reasons I listed earlier. I've never shot them but I've got friends who've tried them, these friends are good bow hunters who know there equipment. I figured I'd mention that so people wouldn't think they were just any dumb ass. Some of the people on here who've used them have said the same exact things that friends of mine have said and them were and are the same reasons I wouldn't shoot them. Like I said earlier, to many screws (1 is to many for me), o rings, bands, etc for my liking. I knew that from day one when I looked at them the 1st time that I didn't care much for them from the reasons I just listed. I never said they were bad heads but there just not what I would like to carry in my quiver whether I'm shooting a compound or recurve. I've got reasons for not shooting allot of other broad heads also but I don't get jumped as bad as I do from some of the people who shoot these Rage heads. Was I wrong? I figure I can ask you that and get an honest answer from you being we get along good. I won't knock others for shooting them. I could really care less what people use.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Some of the people on here who've used them have said the same exact things that friends of mine have said and them were and are the same reasons I wouldn't shoot them. Like I said earlier, to many screws (1 is to many for me), o rings, bands, etc for my liking. I knew that from day one when I looked at them the 1st time that I didn't care much for them from the reasons I just listed. I never said they were bad heads but there just not what I would like to carry in my quiver whether I'm shooting a compound or recurve.
I never once said they are bad heads but I did say I would never shoot them for the reasons I listed earlier.
Are you kidding me? You don't shoot a compound bow! OF COURSE you're not going to shoot it (Rage). That would be stupid.

It would be as assinineas me going into a gun hunting thread and talking down a particular load ......then stating "Well....if I were to shoot a gun....I think that load's a piece of ****....and I wouldn't shoot it".

Now.....what's the chances I go gun hunting this fall? Probably about the same as you going compound hunting.

I simply tire of people with NO FIRST-HAND knowledge of a particular product coming into threads and makign derogatory comments about it. I have NO idea why it happens with this head all the time, either. No idea. Hell I'm not in love with the BH.....I just don't understand the phenomenon of animosity (geared at the BH)it brings out (when discussed).
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Some of the people on here who've used them have said the same exact things that friends of mine have said and them were and are the same reasons I wouldn't shoot them. Like I said earlier, to many screws (1 is to many for me), o rings, bands, etc for my liking. I knew that from day one when I looked at them the 1st time that I didn't care much for them from the reasons I just listed. I never said they were bad heads but there just not what I would like to carry in my quiver whether I'm shooting a compound or recurve.
I never once said they are bad heads but I did say I would never shoot them for the reasons I listed earlier.
Are you kidding me? You don't shoot a compound bow! OF COURSE you're not going to shoot it (Rage). That would be stupid.

It would be as assinineas me going into a gun hunting thread and talking down a particular load ......then stating "Well....if I were to shoot a gun....I think that load's a piece of ****....and I wouldn't shoot it".

Now.....what's the chances I go gun hunting this fall? Probably about the same as you going compound hunting.

I simply tire of people with NO FIRST-HAND knowledge of a particular product coming into threads and makign derogatory comments about it. I have NO idea why it happens with this head all the time, either. No idea. Hell I'm not in love with the BH.....I just don't understand the phenomenon of animosity (geared at the BH)it brings out (when discussed).
Looking at them was enough for me to make my mind up on what I thought of them!! So what your saying is the knowledge from other people is no good whether its good or bad???? You don't have to drive a car to know if you want it. When you look at it and see something you don't like on it you don't buy it!! Plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it already.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

So what your saying is the knowledge from other people is no good whether its good or bad????
I think it was Donald Fagan who said (in an old Steely Dan song).....

"The things that pass for knowledge, I can't understand"

So now a self-described "opinion"....based on looks....is "knowledge"?

Have a great weekend.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only tried them on two turkeys this spring. they work great and i was impressed with them. They fly just like field points wich is a plus. ps: they leave a hell of a hole I was using the two blade 100 grain. cant wait to try them on deer

Quick Reply: Rage Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.