Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rage Broadheads

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I couldn't bring myself to spend $40 for three heads.
I haven't used rage for this reason. I'd definately give Rage a try if I came across some cheap ones
Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

if you put 2 holes through a deers lungs, most likely they are not making it to the 300 yard mark, they probably dont evenmake it past the one hundred yard mark
Not necessarily. If the lungs don't collapse, they will continue to function. Arrows kill by hemmorage, not suffocation....largely anyway. And, a deer can, and will, run a good long ways on 1 good lung.
Mobow Mobow, thats why Rory said most likely! We all know a single lung can go a long ways at times. I do understand though where you were going with this.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Original: Rick James It should never be used as an excuse to take a bad or less than ideal shot, but I like knowing that when thing's don't work out as planned with shot placement I havea headthat will do the most damage possible.

I believe the marginal shot can go bad with a Rage or any broadhead. If it does maximum damage and the deer goes 2 miles and dies, is that better than marginal with a smaller amount of tissue damage? The damage done by the smaller head might allow the deer to live another day and not suffer if not recovered. Jmho

LT

There will always be variables in hunting and harvesting game. If you believe this head stacks the odds in your favor, by all means, use them.
I'm not going to say one of the dumbest things said but it might be the strangest.

What you're saying is that the Rage does too much damage and on a marginal shot that it will die but you might not find it compared to a smaller head that might not do much damage which might allow the deer to live?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Site Buck Guru

Does the 3 blade cut as much surface area as the 2 blade? It could be close!

(whoops sorry Greg, haven't figured out how to use the internet yet. LOL)

Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If broadheads mattered half as much as some of you guys act like they do - we'd all be in major trouble. LOL

Honestly,I could go into the broadhead aisle at cabela's blindfolded, and randomly pick a half-dozen of anything off the shelf, and I'd lay a hefty wager that it wouldn't affectmy results either way.

I've killed deer with:
[ul][*]Satellite 125's[*]Satellite 75's[*]Punchcutter mechanicals[*]Puckett's bloodtrailers[*]Kolpin Twisters[*]Muzzy 100's[*]Muzzy 90's[*]Triska[*]A couple different kinds of Rockets[*]Bear - c.o.c. w/bleeders[*]Montecs[*]Thunderheads[/ul]
And guess what: None of them made a chittin bit of difference.

There have been a hell of a lot of lost deer blamed on the broadhead, but most of those situations were "user error" and not bona fide failure to perform.

You guys and the neverending broadhead debates really crack me up. Honest to god, I killed a doe with a practice head.

If you make a good shot, there isn't a broadhead out there that won't get the job done.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,
I have no scientific proof to back it up other than my own experience but I truly believe it is the lateral cutting diameter that does the trick.......the reaching out and slicing as much tissue VS simply more blades and "cutting surface" that seems to drop an animal faster.

If you take a head with a two blade 2" cutting diameter (or more on impact) and compare it to say a 1" fixed head but for giggles throw 10 blades on that 1" diameter head and increase the "cutting surface" by whatever that math is?.........LOL you are still only damaging an area 1" laterally and affecting a smaller area.

Sort of like the absolute extreme you can think of (and I know it sounds rediculous but I think it has some merit in the "Diameter vs, Surface" arguments)
Take a broadhead with a 24"two blade cutting diameter (yes I said 2 FOOT cutting diameter. ) and hit a deer with the blades straight up and down with enough energy to pass through...........you've effectively cut the poor sucker in half and the track job will for all intents and purposes be a relatively short one.
Now take a broadhead with a 1 1/2 cutting diameter and throw enough blades on that puppy to equal 24" worth of "Cutting surface", just stack as many in there as your heart desires..........

Which one caused more damage?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If broadheads mattered half as much as some of you guys act like they do - we'd all be in major trouble. LOL

Honestly,I could go into the broadhead aisle at cabela's blindfolded, and randomly pick a half-dozen of anything off the shelf, and I'd lay a hefty wager that it wouldn't affectmy results either way.

I've killed deer with:
[ul][*]Satellite 125's[*]Satellite 75's[*]Punchcutter mechanicals[*]Puckett's bloodtrailers[*]Kolpin Twisters[*]Muzzy 100's[*]Muzzy 90's[*]Triska[*]A couple different kinds of Rockets[*]Bear - c.o.c. w/bleeders[*]Montecs[*]Thunderheads[/ul]

And guess what: None of them made a chittin bit of difference.

There have been a hell of a lot of lost deer blamed on the broadhead, but most of those situations were "user error" and not bona fide failure to perform.

You guys and the neverending broadhead debates really crack me up. Honest to god, I killed a doe with a practice head.

If you make a good shot, there isn't a broadhead out there that won't get the job done.
Best post in this thread.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Greg,
I have no scientific proof to back it up other than my own experience but I truly believe it is the lateral cutting diameter that does the trick.......the reaching out and slicing as much tissue VS simply more blades and "cutting surface" that seems to drop an animal faster.

If you take a head with a two blade 2" cutting diameter (or more on impact) and compare it to say a 1" fixed head but for giggles throw 10 blades on that 1" diameter head and increase the "cutting surface" by whatever that math is?.........LOL you are still only damaging an area 1" laterally and affecting a smaller area.

Sort of like the absolute extreme you can think of (and I know it sounds rediculous but I think it has some merit in the "Diameter vs, Surface" arguments)
Take a broadhead with a 24"two blade cutting diameter (yes I said 2 FOOT cutting diameter. ) and hit a deer with the blades straight up and down with enough energy to pass through...........you've effectively cut the poor sucker in half and the track job will for all intents and purposes be a relatively short one.
Now take a broadhead with a 1 1/2 cutting diameter and throw enough blades on that puppy to equal 24" worth of "Cutting surface", just stack as many in there as your heart desires..........

Which one caused more damage?

I agree!

The cutting surface is dictated many timesby simply adding blades.

A 1" cutting diameter 8 blade BH would have:

1. 1" cutting diameter
2. 4" cutting surface

All the damage caused by the cutting surface would happen in a very small area, the 1" cutting diameter area.

A 2" cutting diameter 2 blade would have:

1. 2" cutting diameter
2. 2"cutting surface

The damage being done is in a much larger area, a2" cutting diameter area

By simply adding bades you can increase the cutting surface but it will do NOTHING for the cutting area (diameter). The cutting diameter more directly correlatestothe size and amount of damaged inflicted on an animal.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Matt, I understand what you're saying, and to a point i agree. I believe that the larger cutting DIAMETER will reach out and hit something you would have missed otherwise, say an artery. BUT, IMO the larger cutting surface would benefit as well. Simply put, more cut = more blood.

But, as is the case w/ nearly 100% of the archery industry, it's all personal preferance, and one's school of thought. There's just no question any well placed head is gonna kill a deer.....the heads I shot last year didn't have that large of a CD, but it's a 4 blade, and it honestly looked like someone took a 1 1/8" drill bit and drilled a solid hole through that deer. That thing bled like a stuck hog....
Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

quik, what kinda practice head?

Quick Reply: Rage Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.