Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rage Broadheads

Shultzy, you say you like to keep things simple. Whats more simple than not having to trail your deer all night because you put a tiny little puncture in it's lungs?
I do keep it simple! See that bear in my avatar? He dressed 325lbs and went 21 yards after I double lunged him with a 3 blade Magnus Snuffer that has an 1 4/16 cutting diameter. Tiny little hole hah, not even close! My buck I shot last fall went 50 yards, he fell in sight and he was also double lunged. He dressed out 210lbs. Thats pretty simple to me. The majority of my animals don't go over 50 yards.

I'm not a gadget guy, big deal!! I didn't knock the head, all I said was I don't want anything to do with it being its got to many other things on it to worry about it.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't say that they don't kill deer. I'm just saying that they don't kill as fast and as humanely. Shultzy keeps preaching about keeping it simple and i just don't understand how using a mechanical is harder than tracking a deer that has ran 300 yards.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dstubb

I didn't say that they don't kill deer. I'm just saying that they don't kill as fast and as humanely. Shultzy keeps preaching about keeping it simple and i just don't understand how using a mechanical is harder than tracking a deer that has ran 300 yards.

if you put 2 holes through a deers lungs, most likely they are not making it to the 300 yard mark, they probably dont evenmake it past the one hundred yard mark

with 2 holes in their lungs, its basically how far they can run while holding their breath
Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look out Rory, your going to get wacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]

dstubb- Read my previous post and since when do deer go 300 yards double lunged?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

The principle of "overkill" in a broadhead is really a pretty simple one.........Im not sure why it is debated as heavily as it is. IF you can successfully and reliably shoot a large diameter ANYTHING, ANYNAMEbroadhead why would you choose not to?

Sure the notion that pretty much any decently made sharp broadhead of any cutting diameter perfectly placed will do the job pretty much everytime is true. But the notion of "Holding back" on cutting diameter to possibly SAVE a animals lifeon a marginal hit is almost kooky IMO. So all of a sudden the very deadly head that you put through both lungs is going to keep an animal alive because you hit the edge of a lung, liver and guts? WHAT?

(And from here out in the discussion I will refer to the broadhead as simply a cutting diameter to remove the emotional response some have toward a mechanical or brand name)

If I place a broadhead anywhere east or west of a double lung hit I want 3 things:
1. A large entrance wound
2. A large EXIT wound doubling the chance of blood sign and less likely to clog.
3. a far reaching lateral cutting diameter to damage as much tissue and vessels as possible

I've said this time and again........over and over. No one head is a magic bullet replacing shot placement, and different heads are best suited to certain set ups and the energy they produce.
Just like everyone craves more speed, more energy, more draw length, and the ability to draw more weight for hunting, why would you not shoot the most broadhead that you could reliably get pass throughs on for the vast majority of shots you will see on game?
To do otherwise borders on being almost silly.

IF we are taught to shoot the most draw weight we can shoot comfortably from any position why too shouldn't we shoot the biggest sharpest broadhead we can also safely and reliably use that compliments that set up?

Is there anyone out there that is going to tell me that if suddenly there was a 2" 3 blade absolutely scary sharp fixed blade head that was guaranteed to fly like your field points and penetrated as good or better than your current head that you would scoff at it or overlook it as TOO MUCH broadhead?
LOL look at how the average person picks broadheads or comments on them..."That looks wicked" or "Man is that a mean looking broadhead!"

Take Shultzy for example (gonna use ya Shultz sorry bud)
He's very experienced in traditional archery and has chosen his favorite broadhead very wisely.......its a large cutting diameter strong 3 blade cut on contact head(Magnus Snuffer). I'll venture to guess its the biggest baddest head he feels comfortable shooting through his heavy poundage recurve whichis packing more punch than most other trad guys. These are the biggest baddest mean arse heads that he can probably reliably use and he uses them to his advantage.
On the flip side someone with a 25" draw length and shooting only 48# from his longbow wouldn't be well advised to follow in his footsteps........that persons biggest and baddest will mean something different.

The broadhead is the killing tool........quite simply you owe it to the animal to choose one (without getting specific on brand) that compliments your set up, and game you intend to hunt while causing the most damage possible at the same time.
For some people that will be a simple 1" 2 blade cut on contact , for others like me and my 30" / 70# compound that might mean a 2" 3 blade cut mechanical head.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Fellas Fellas please... Back off Schultzy he was just stating his opinion, he never told you guys not to shoot Rage, he simply said theyr werent for him and he explained why.

I dont understand why every rage thread ends up being some big pissing contest. Its just a broadhead fellas in 2 years there will be something bigger and better. Any broadhead will kill a deer period...

Heck indians were killing with rocks on the ends of sticks for crying out loud. I think Rage makes a nice product, however they arent for me, I can kill efficiently with my muzzies, so why pay 40 dollars for 3 heads? To each his own....
Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Site Buck Guru

I've NEVER used an expandable head. I like to keep things simple!

As a matter of fact, I'm going to REALLY keep things simple by just using my field points. You know, they fly just like....... well, field points!

Since 1995, I've been using Wasp SST Hammers. Beautiful broadheads. I can't see fixing something that ain't broke.

They worked great on my turkey as well, very durable.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe i should have said a single lung or any bad shot. Period a 2" hole kills faster than a 1" hole. More oxygen and blood loss = faster death!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 PM

if you put 2 holes through a deers lungs, most likely they are not making it to the 300 yard mark, they probably dont evenmake it past the one hundred yard mark
Not necessarily. If the lungs don't collapse, they will continue to function. Arrows kill by hemmorage, not suffocation....largely anyway. And, a deer can, and will, run a good long ways on 1 good lung.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did try the 2 blade Rage myself last year. I shot 2 deer one was a bad hit low in the gut. Sorry but the more you hunt the more chance you will have of making an erra and a bad hit. It happens. The Rage 2 blade opened up the whole stomac and all the intestens fell out. The deer dragged its intestins about 40 yards and died. the other a double lung hit the deer went 75 yards and piled up. I like these broad heads and I will continue to use them as the hole they put in an animal is unbeliveable, and I am not pefect and could put a bad shot again acidently like I said it happens. I did find that you have to be careful as they do open easly but I am sure they are working on this issue. my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Rage Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.