Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads

Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage Broadheads

Most here have seen and heard what I have to say about them. They will be on my arrows this year again as my primary head. I usually try and tune a fixed blade head to hit the same spot and keep one of those in the quiver too for the ground blinds (I shoot through the mesh) but other than this the Rage's are the best head I've personally used in the past.

Here are just a few entrance holes for you guys to see and the heart of a buck I shot 2 years ago. I have killed 4 deer I think now with them, 2x of them quartering away hard, one broadside, and one that I spined. All were passthroughs except the spined deer including one that took out multiple ribs on the way in, and the thin part of the scapula on the way out. The head that took one buck in the spine completely severed the spine in him and penetrated a good 12" into him (he was only 8 yards out or so).

The picture at the bottom shows how I rig them with an extra rubber band just as an extra insurance policy to make sure they don't open. I bought a bag of something like 50 extra bands last year and they still deploy easy enough to cut a full 2" when you shoot them through the side of a blind.........lol.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I know these heads put massive holes in your animals but damn they sound to be a pain in the butt to deal with. Top many screws, bands, this, that for me to even think about wanting to like them. No way! I like my stuff simple I guess. No knock on anyone who shoots them but there just not for me.
No offense, Schultzy....but you should probably preface your comments with the fact that you have no personal, first-hand experience with this head (goor OR bad). It might also be of interest to folks interested in maybe trying them that you've been strictly a traditional shooter for 13-14 yrs,..and that the KE required to shoot these heads is foreign to you AND your set-up.

If I were "you"....."I" wouldn't be interested in them, either (for my traditional set-up).
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea Schultzy, what the heck do you know.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I know these heads put massive holes in your animals but damn they sound to be a pain in the butt to deal with. Top many screws, bands, this, that for me to even think about wanting to like them. No way! I like my stuff simple I guess. No knock on anyone who shoots them but there just not for me.
No offense, Schultzy....but you should probably preface your comments with the fact that you have no personal, first-hand experience with this head (goor OR bad). It might also be of interest to folks interested in maybe trying them that you've been strictly a traditional shooter for 13-14 yrs,..and that the KE required to shoot these heads is foreign to you AND your set-up.

If I were "you"....."I" wouldn't be interested in them, either (for my traditional set-up).
Well offense taken!!! I don't have jack **** for expierence shooting them. I don't need to! I read the stuff 90% of you all print up on here and thats good enough for me. I've learned that they put massive hole in animals, learned that from you! I've learned that you've got to make sure everything is perfect meaning screws tight, bands on, etc! I learned that from you and everyone else. How is that wrong of me? Its the truth! I'm going by what you all are saying for crying out loud that have used them. If I shot a compound I would not shoot these for them reasons I just stated!! I like my stuff simple.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Like I've said before....I'm FAR removed from worrying about how someone takes my posts. I actually don't care, anymore. Sorry you took offense.

I've learned that you've got to make sure everything is perfect meaning screws tight, bands on, etc! I learned that from you and everyone else.
But you've never heard this from me. I've never tightened (or loosened) a screw......and I've never had one open on stand or in flight (andI don't use the rubber bands).

I also won't be utilizing beaver balls, a seal skin rest or 5" feathers on my compound set-up......so I won't comment as to their validity (or lack thereof).

I don't have jack **** for expierence shooting them.
Thanks.

Ya'll have a great weekend.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Preface: I am a traditional bowhunter, and I know nothing. [8D]

Here is my experience with rage (I don't feel like re-typing):

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2599611&mpage=1&key=wound&#2 600234
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff I never knocked these heads down one bit!!! I just said they are not for me going off of others experiences with them. Get off your pedestal and read my post nice and slow and see where I was saying they are bad heads. I didn't, all I stated was they are not for me!!!! Big fricking deal. Your comment on the bottom of your post was a nice little rip. I'll remember that!!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Hell I don't wanna argue with you, Bob....as I consider you a friend and a helluva resource for all things Trad (as I do Schultzy).

But....there's just too much info we DON'T know on "your" situation.

What poundage was the guy shooting? Was he producing the proper KE to shoot a mechanical....much less a 2 blade (Rage) with a cutting diameter of 2"? Was his bow properly tuned?

If your compound bow isn't producing (I think the minimum suggested is around 60#'s) enough KE to shoot these heads....YOU SHOULDN'T shoot them. If your bow isn't in tune.....you shouldn't shoot them.

I completely agree that these heads are NOT for "everyone". We owe to our prey to make sure (no matter what tackle we employ) we're in specs to use whichever equipment we choose.

I consider both of you gentlemen "experts" in all things traditional (and other things "hunting" related). But, trust me.....out of a properly tuned compound bow.....producing proper KE....these heads perform....and produce massive tissue damage.

I wouldn't dream of tipping one of my traditional arrows with one for reasons I cite above. Apples and oranges. I'll shoot a COC 2 or 3 blade when I enter the woods this fall with my longbow....and I'll defer to you guys for help in making the proper decision for which one I choose. I have NO experience with any of them on a game animal.

I respect you guys expertise in that area.....and although I said I didn't care.....hell I DO care how "some" decipher my posts. Count you two in that group.

Again....have a wonderful and safe weekend.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said, I am a traditional bow hunter and know nothing even put it in the preface.......

Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM

love rage...best overall broadhead that I have used.

Quick Reply: Rage Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.