Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

I am trying to decide on a bow case for my new Ally and cannot decide if I want to get a super heavy duty but expensive one or just a regular cheap box. I will travel on occasion but it will most likely be by car. Do any of you have regrets going in one direction or another with the quality of your case.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

I think the question really is.....How well do you want your expensive equipment protected?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Like I used to tell people when I was in the motorcycle biz and they would ask about helmets.
I would say "If you have a $100.00 head, buy a $100.00 helmet"
Most would see what i was saying and buy a good helmet.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with the hard case but no need to buy the most expensive because the cheap im sure will work just as well
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

More $$ isn't always getting what you pay for. Mathews is selling a soft case in the neighborhood of $90. Plano hard bowcases are $25-30. I'll take my chances with the plano.[8D]
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you're flying, and need something airline-approved, expensive bow cases are a gigantic waste of money. I have a cheapo plastic job, and it just collects dust. I don't even keep my bow in it.

To put it in perspective: Let's be generous and say that you have a $1000 bow. And you're spending $200 to "protect" it.

That's like putting a $2000 anti-theft system in a $10,000 Cavalier.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flying - Spend the money

Driving - Don't bother wasting your money, just get a good solid plastic case
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Unless you're flying, and need something airline-approved, expensive bow cases are a gigantic waste of money. I have a cheapo plastic job, and it just collects dust. I don't even keep my bow in it.

To put it in perspective: Let's be generous and say that you have a $1000 bow. And you're spending $200 to "protect" it.

That's like putting a $2000 anti-theft system in a $10,000 Cavalier.
But if it's the only car you have, and you can't afford a new one.....I do believe it's well worth it, yes?

More $$ isn't always getting what you pay for. Mathews is selling a soft case in the neighborhood of $90. .
I double dog dare ya to drop something heavy on that, with your bow in it....
Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly Don, In 15 years of archery, I've never dropped anything on my bow that was heavy enough to break anything. And believe me when I say - I'm NOT careful with my bow. Borderline abusive, to be honest.

3 major incidents, none of which would have been helped if I had an expensive bow case:
[ul][*]Slid it off the roof (waxed)of my car onto the road - dented the cams and scuffed the serving.[*]Dryfire[*]Dropped it out of a treestand - 25' - broke my sights.[/ul]A bow case, to me, is beyond useless. Hell, when we drive to go bowhunting, we usually can't even use them if we wanted to, because they're so huge and bulky - they take up too much cargo space. We're already loaded down with treestands, rubbermaid tubs, boots, random junk - and possibly a deer carcass on the way home.

Mine fits in my hatch with my gear when I fly solo, but if we're rolling 2-deep - they won't fit in the hatch with all the gear or in the bed of the truck, because of the tonneau cover, tubs and stands.

The only thing they're good for, is stacking stuff on top of your bow in the garage or airline travel.

...and to answer your question - anyone who would dump $2K on an alarm system for a $10K car should be committed to an insane asylum.

Quick Reply: Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.