Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

Fran, I understand exactly what you're saying. And in some ways, I agree with you. I guess I just don't understand why we spend $1000 on a bow and accessories and just toss them in a soft sided, or POS case. To me, it's like spending all that money on a great bow, and shooting the cheapest arrows you can find out of it....I just don't get it.

You're absolutely right about the insane asylum, but I still say the insurance is worth it....Most guys have to work very hard, and save a long time, to afford a new bow. I just dont' understand why someone would go through all of that, and risk losing it because they don't want to spend a little money to protect it.....I'm not saying we've got to spend 2 or 300 dollars here, but isn't a bow and accessories worth $100 or so to protect? To me it is. I'm glad you haven't had any major issues, and I hope you continue that.....But man, it's just SO easy for something to break.......I personally am not willing to risk it....Maybe that's just me....
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

The only thing they're good for, isairline travel.

...and to answer your question - anyone who would dump $2K on an alarm system for a $10K car should be committed to an insane asylum.
Exactly why I am buying one within the month. If you EVER plan on taking a trip somewhere that requires air travel, buy an airline approved case NOW, not after you buy a cheapy to get by. I bought a cheap plastic hard case for my bow, which I love. I throw it in the truck bed, usually with a treestand and clothes tub on top of it.

Now I have to buy a 2ND case for my SD Pronghorn trip this fall as we will be flying... Hopefully this wont be the only trip to use it on...Im betting it wont be though.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Unless you're flying, and need something airline-approved, expensive bow cases are a gigantic waste of money. I have a cheapo plastic job, and it just collects dust. I don't even keep my bow in it.

To put it in perspective: Let's be generous and say that you have a $1000 bow. And you're spending $200 to "protect" it.

That's like putting a $2000 anti-theft system in a $10,000 Cavalier.
But if it's the only car you have, and you can't afford a new one.....I do believe it's well worth it, yes?

More $$ isn't always getting what you pay for. Mathews is selling a soft case in the neighborhood of $90. .
I double dog dare ya to drop something heavy on that, with your bow in it....
Kinda quoted me out of context mobo. I think the mathews case is stupid high and not worth half that. I don't own one, i use the hard plastic case and don't make a habit out of dropping things on my bow.[8D]
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with the King on this one. Unless its for airline travel a bowcase is pretty much pointless to me. If I can't keep my bowin tactwithout spending additional money on a case, then I deserve to have it broken.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the Lakewood Products C275 vertical bow case and this thing is awsome. It is rather heavy but well worth it. I can store by bow with quiver on it. Also go the arrow and accessory case that fit inside it with my bow. For $149 probably the best case you can find.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Site Bouncer

What the hell are you guys doing to your bows that you need a hard case?? Unless you are flying there is no need for a hard case. Bows should not ride in the bed of your truck unless absolutely unavoidable. Also, if for some reason they doend up back their,they should not be placed at the bottom of your gear! If you have to travel with it in the bed of your truck make sure nothing is on top of it and it wont slide around. Don't toss themabout like rag dolls, they are expensive hunting tools and should be treated as such. A good quality soft case is all that is needed to transport your bow to and from the range or your hunting grounds. In all my years of gun hunting I've never once used a hard case (unless traveling) for my guns and some of them cost 5 times what a loaded Bowtech will run you. If I don't do it for my guns, I'm not about to start with my bows.

I would never put my gun in the bed of my truck nor will I put my bow their....that's where your DEER goes!

This is what my Mathews rides in. It's got along outer pocketfor an arrow box and two interior pockets for my tackle box, tags, gloves, release, flashlight, callsand any other little misc. items I bring with me hunting. Take care of your equipment and this is all you will need.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Why pay for a soft padded case instead of the $30 Plano hard case?

It is cheaper, ALOT more durable, and will protect your bow through a sky diving accident. With this case, it CAN ride in the bed of your truck, under the treestand, gear, and even a big buck should you be so lucky to kill one.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Similar to gunsafes; No regrets on dropping the cash on a good case. Think about the investment in time and money that it's protecting. It always amazes me that some who owns $30K in rifles will choose to keep them in a $200 box when for the cost of one good rifle they can be properly protected. Why would you risk damage to your $1k+ bow and all the time you've got into it to save $100 or even $200?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you're flying, and need something airline-approved, expensive bow cases are a gigantic waste of money. I have a cheapo plastic job, and it just collects dust. I don't even keep my bow in it.

To put it in perspective: Let's be generous and say that you have a $1000 bow. And you're spending $200 to "protect" it.

That's like putting a $2000 anti-theft system in a $10,000 Cavalier.
I agree with Fran here.

All I need my bowcase to do is keep the bow out of the sun and the dust, and keep the dog from stepping on it in the Blazer while I'm commuting around (the dog and the bow and the golf clubs always seem to come with me.... its like a teddy, a binky and a blanky to a baby).

I wanted an SKB bad, but I couldn't fit all my crap in it. I ended up spending $25 on a Plano, and I can fit my bow, quiver, arrows and release in it... something I could not do with the SKB.... carrying one case is better than carrying two I think.

I understand the principal behind wanting to spend money on good protection on your $1000 bow.... but if you want good protection, get insurance... I don't plan on chucking my bow off the air traffic control tower anytime soon.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Site Bouncer

Again I'll ask....what the hell are you guys doing to your bows!!

Those $30.00 hard cases are pure junk, don't trust them.

I agree with you KodiakArcher, you should buy a good quality hard case for both your guns and bows, but I don't see a need for them unless traveling.

Again, I've hunted with shotguns that were upward of $8-$10,000.00 and never felt the need to put it into a hard case and those shotguns came with good quality hard cases. When I hunted with them I took them out of their original hard cases and put them in a soft case and went hunting.

little common sense and care is all that is needed....start with NOT putting them in the bed of your truck![:'(]

Quick Reply: Bow Case Heavy Duty or Regular and Cheap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.