Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So there I am, perched on the toilet and flipping through this month's issue of Petersen's Bowhunting, when reality gives me a stiff backhand across the chops. I know all this stuff.

The "new gear" section features a whole bunch of uninspiring, boring, useless gimmicks, along with a few bows andother itemsthat are yesterday's newspaper. You've either seen it all before, or it's so useless that you hope to never see it again.

There are a few articles with actual substance, but the material leaves a little to be desired. It's your standard funnel-ology, interspersed with a couple nuggets about thermals and timing, ingress and egress. blah. Just another author telling me the same story that I've already been told 3000 times.

I find a few minutes to read the obligatory heart-warmer that they stuff into every issue. This is the only story that really piques my interest anymore.

Then, they have a "tuning" section, telling us everything that we already know about getting a good paper tear and finding the right broadhead.

They cram in a few articles about competitive archery. I give them the finger and move on with my life. Like the face of Medusa, I try not to look at it, and turn the pages quickly. If I wanted a magazine about 3d shooting, I'd buy one. This magazine is called "Bowhunting." Come on.

Maybe it's because I spend at least an hour a day on this site, cycling through the posts, looking for somebody to tell me something that I didn't already know - or scanning the posts for something intriguing enough to make me click the Internet Explorer icon and go on a safari of my own to dig up something that might make a difference someday.

After finishing the umpteen millionth issue, I can no longer hide the fact that I feel like the authors are talking down to me, as if I'm some kind of bowhunting, know-nothing newb. Like I'm stupid. Telling me crap that I already know. Telling me crap that I probably knew before they ever did.

Is this it? Have we learned everything? Have we reached the level where you have to delve into the second layer and find out for yourself, because no magazine writer is going to dig that deep?

Honestly, some ofyou people are more intriguing and thought-provoking than any magazine ever will be.

I realized last night, on the toilet, that I'm an internet hunting junkie. Magazines just don't appease me.
You said it all in that section, they tell us the basics everytime and then you develop your own pattern for success, where it can be learned on the net, sometimes. I dont even waste money on those magazines anymore.[:@][:'(]
Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still read the mags and all the books though.

But I do tend to agree that most of the writing is garbage. Their are a select few with some good insight however. But I won't name names.

But there sure are alot more who have no business writing in my opinion either. But again I won't name names. I wouldn't want to answer the door one day and have a scary masked man with a mullet (thats for you Justin) stab a spoon into my gullet and make a lamp shade out of me.

The secret when reading the articles is to apply your own experiences into the article itself. Most all writers have 'curse of knowledge' and write like we all know what they are saying exactly. The truth is.. we often don't.

That is where the problem really falls. That and... lost in translation.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

I do subscribe to a magazine.I only get deer and deer hunting.This magazine is awesome.The articles by Dr. Charles Alsheimer,John and Chris Eberhartare great.These guys know there s***.The magazine goes beyond hunting and gives you detailed info about a deersinner workingsetc and every other aspect of a deers life.The articles in this magazine are lengthy not just 2 paragraphs.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Petersen's Bowhunting

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I do listen to the Drury guys. They are gospel when it comes to hunting.
Yes, hunting the deer on THEIR UNPRESSURED LAND!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Bartender

Deer & Deer hunting is really the only mag I truely getting something out of it. Science of deer hunting I enjoy.
After years of reading magazines it has become the same old articles just the verbage different.

T
Old 06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

I just get them for the pictures! [:-]
Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So there I am, perched on the toilet and flipping through this month's issue of Petersen's Bowhunting, when reality gives me a stiff backhand across the chops. I know all this stuff.

The "new gear" section features a whole bunch of uninspiring, boring, useless gimmicks, along with a few bows andother itemsthat are yesterday's newspaper. You've either seen it all before, or it's so useless that you hope to never see it again.

There are a few articles with actual substance, but the material leaves a little to be desired. It's your standard funnel-ology, interspersed with a couple nuggets about thermals and timing, ingress and egress. blah. Just another author telling me the same story that I've already been told 3000 times.

I find a few minutes to read the obligatory heart-warmer that they stuff into every issue. This is the only story that really piques my interest anymore.

Then, they have a "tuning" section, telling us everything that we already know about getting a good paper tear and finding the right broadhead.

They cram in a few articles about competitive archery. I give them the finger and move on with my life. Like the face of Medusa, I try not to look at it, and turn the pages quickly. If I wanted a magazine about 3d shooting, I'd buy one. This magazine is called "Bowhunting." Come on.

Maybe it's because I spend at least an hour a day on this site, cycling through the posts, looking for somebody to tell me something that I didn't already know - or scanning the posts for something intriguing enough to make me click the Internet Explorer icon and go on a safari of my own to dig up something that might make a difference someday.

After finishing the umpteen millionth issue, I can no longer hide the fact that I feel like the authors are talking down to me, as if I'm some kind of bowhunting, know-nothing newb. Like I'm stupid. Telling me crap that I already know. Telling me crap that I probably knew before they ever did.

Is this it? Have we learned everything? Have we reached the level where you have to delve into the second layer and find out for yourself, because no magazine writer is going to dig that deep?

Honestly, some ofyou people are more intriguing and thought-provoking than any magazine ever will be.

I realized last night, on the toilet, that I'm an internet hunting junkie. Magazines just don't appease me.
Boy did you ever hit that out of the park! I couldn't agree more.....It's not just the bow hunting mags either. I've found that most of the rags I get (gun mags) are the same way, I mean, how many times do I need to read about the "versatility" of the 30.06.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I do read a number of magazines,I don't gain a whole lot of insight from most of them.Deer and Deer hunting is a consistently informative magazine.North American whitetail provides the stories on some of the biggest bucks killed across the country.Bow and Arrow hunting is very objective in their equipment and clothing reviews.
Most of the value I get from reading comes from books.I have read many and will continue to do so.It is a process separating the good and great authors from the pretenders.In reality there are probably three or four books that could be read over and over and would be all any one needed.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

TSOC,
What do you think those book titles would be?

I really like Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails and Precision Bowhunting by Eberhart.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM

I take the rags the same as the hunting videos, purely entertainment. some articles are informative, but I think I acutally get more from here.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.