Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tune up(yourself)

Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tune up(yourself)

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I have weighed 205 for the past 15 years. I wear 34x34 pants, same as I have for the past 15 years. I eat well and get regular exercise but I don't have any set routine. I don't hit the weights, all of my "strength training" is from working HARD at work when I'm not sitting in front of this infernal machine! I run a couple of times a week for cardio. When I run I put in 2 miles. I'm going to be 47 next month and consider myself to be in OK shape for my age.
Dude your're in the top 10% in this country for your age
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, and that 205 is on a 6'2" frame.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

In my younger years I competed in powerlifting and bench competitions so reading this stuff gets the juices flowing again ... but my joints can't take it anymore so I focus more on cardio and light lifting.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is heavy bag training. You can pick one up for less than $100, hang it in your barn or garage and get some awesome cardio while at the same time getting a degree of muscle tone too.Any kind of workouts can get boring, so it's important to add some variety and this is just one of many ways to do it. If you're lifting heavy, gotta give those muscles a break now and then or you'll pay for it, trust me.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Along with Captain Mobo thread on bow tuning, let not forget ourselves.

Try and walk a bit more, eat a little better and work that core. You will be amazed how much more hunting is enjoyable when your in shape.

Mobow layoff of the donuts

Yup, but if you work that Core too much you'll go blind.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great tips on how to lose weight. but what about us guys that can't afford to lose weight. I've got a 6'1" frame and do good to keep my weight up to 130. I work out every day and eat pretty much anything you put in front of me........Of course I know it will slow down as I age a little bit. monday i will be 26.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

Great tips on how to lose weight. but what about us guys that can't afford to lose weight. I've got a 6'1" frame and do good to keep my weight up to 130.
Suplementation. Whey Protein, Amino Acids, High carb foods.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all that. exercise every day. my diet basically consists of meat, cheese, pasta, rice, bread,and potatoes. I dont eat alot of junk food or sweets(dont really likecandy). maybe i'm being healthy and didn't know it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The formula for gaining weigh tis simply the reverse of losing it. You use (_____) calories a day just doing normal things. Consume and/or work off fewer than that.....and you'll lose weight. Consume more and/or expend less and you'll gain weight. Everyone's Basic Metabolic Rate (the fill in the blank) is different. Eat enough calories....and you'll gain weight. Expend less than normal.....and eat the same amount....and you'll gain weight.

When you break it down....it's that simple. Just takes some time to find your BMR and know what you can/can't intake.....based on your level of activity.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

I do all that. exercise every day. my diet basically consists of meat, cheese, pasta, rice, bread,and potatoes. I dont eat alot of junk food or sweets(dont really likecandy). maybe i'm being healthy and didn't know it.
If it's an aerobic exercise, don't do that. Eat alot of meat and add everything but the kitchen sink to your evening protein/weight gainer shakes - bananas, ice cream, peanut butter, whatever.

There's a ton of stuff on this subject on anabolicminds.comor bodybuilding.com AM is like this site, notsuper big but BB is like ArcheryTalk, tons of people on there.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I signed up for a weight management program through work today. It's an 8 week program where I will have to document all the food I eat and excercise that I do daily. Then once a week one of the staff will call me and we'll have a 20-30 minute discussion to determine to help make improvements. I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

The tough part for me is finding time to excercise. I wake up at 5:30am for work and I'm gone until 5:15pm. Once I walk in the door I have about 15 minutes before my wife leaves. (She works evenings) That puts me on parent duty until the kids go to bed. I end up making dinner, house keeping, etc. Plus making some time to shoot my bow, take the kids outside to play, etc. Youngest son goes to bed at 9pm. Oldest is up till 10pm. Then my wife comes home at 10:30pm and I spend about an hour with her relaxing and watching TV before I got to bed. Then I get 3-5 hrs sleep and do it all again the next day.

Been looking into adding a home gym in my basement for basic weight training and also an Eliptical machine for cardio. I just need to find was to make time to actually use them!

Quick Reply: Tune up(yourself)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.