Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aerial Maps

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Aerial Maps

I've been reading alot of articles on scouting here recently and alot of people are talking about using aerial maps for their scouting. I just wanted to see what all some of you would try to gather from a couple aerial pictures of some of the land I hunt.

What exactly would you be looking for?
What do you actually see in these pictures?
Where would you position yourself?

I basically want to pick your brain and see how you read this....What ya got for me?

*The fields are beans and in winter wheat right now.

Green Box= Property
Yellow Line= The small segment blocked off by the yellow is already hunted by a couple of guys
Pink Box= Food Plot
Blue Streak= Creeks
Red Arrow= Biggest rub(s) I've ever seen in my life!!
Turquoise Dots= Stands I have up now

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aerial Maps

Well, if North is the top of the map and south is the bottom, so on and so on. I'm going to say that inside corner south east of your current stands right next to that creek should be hot. It should serve as somewhat of a funnel as well.I know it's tempting to hunt those field edges but if you back of a little bit you will catch more deer before dark. Where you got marked for those huge rubs is a perfect staging area for a buck. My guess is he is bedding close to that creek and then makes he's way towards that field before dark and then "stages up" in that little point until it is completely dark.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Well, if North is the top of the map and south is the bottom, so on and so on. I'm going to say that inside corner south east of your current stands right next to that creek should be hot. It should serve as somewhat of a funnel as well.I know it's tempting to hunt those field edges but if you back of a little bit you will catch more deer before dark. Where you got marked for those huge rubs is a perfect staging area for a buck. My guess is he is bedding close to that creek and then makes he's way towards that field before dark and then "stages up" in that little point until it is completely dark.
I would have to agree with that...I got down out of my stand one evening to head home and I walked the edge of the field over to the other side, I was just kind of looking around the edges for rubs or any kind of sign...didn't see anything at all. The next morning I walked past where I have the rubs marked, and they were there. The definitely happened the night before while it was dark. It was an awesome sight seeing that he did to the trees. There was 6 or 7 trees all within a 10 or 15 foot circle just absolutely shredded top to bottom and on all sides. All kinds of broken branches around and there waspiles of shavings around the bases of the trees. The funny thing is I killed a big 8 the year before that was rubbing the exact same spot but on a different tree. I watched him for about 10 minutes rubbing the tree before he came across the field to me.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

These are the spots I would at least check out.They also depend on direction of prevailing winds.The other hunters should force deer towards #1 and #2.#3 looks like a funnel between creek and field.#4 is close to food plot and away from pressure.