Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the fastest speedbow at 50#

Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is the fastest speedbow at 50#

I'm starting to look at new bows. I have the bow that I have now because it is easy to draw and I have an old shoulder. I just cant get more than 250 fps out of it. Now I know that a lot of speedbows have harsh draw cycles but they might be manageable at 50#. Can I get 330 fps with a 50# bow and a 250 grain arrow? Has anybody out there done this?Do you get good results? What bow would you recomend? I shot a Katera the other day that was set at 53# and the owner claimed it got 330 fps. It really got my curiousity up. Meanv said recently how he got passthroughs on deer with a 40# bow after he hurt his shoulder.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the fastest speedbow at 50#

My first bow, the Diamond Edge, was set at 50# and i consistently shot 280 fps
Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 PM

If you are looking for the fastest possible arrow at that poundage I would look in to the PSE X-Force, Bowtech 82nd or the Elite GT-500.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a woman in our archery club who gets passthroughs with 40# and 24" draw. There's no magic to this/ Get the best arow flight, a small broadhead, and keep your shots within an effective range. Deer are not big critters. It doesn't hurt to stay away from bones either, if you know what I mean.

As far as looking at bows? Generally speaking the fastest bows at 50# shooting a 250gr arrow arrow are going to be the same ones with the higher IBO ratings. Again, not rocket science. So this would be where I'd start my search. In comparing bows when you shoot them be sure and actually measure the draw length of each to make sure they are what they say. It does little good to chrono one bow at a 28" draw and the next at 29". And don't rely on limb tags as a lot of bows do not draw what the tag says. Measure the draw length. Keep your comparisons "apples to apples".

330 fps at 50# with a 250gr arrow? Highly unlikely. Here again, it's going to rely somewhat on the draw length. 28" is going to be approx. 20 fps slower than 30". Nothing---absolutely nothing on the string and really supertuned and it's still unlikely, and that meaning you're starting out with a bow rated for at least 330 fps or more.

The best I've been able to achieve in recent years was with a 2004 Martin SlayR w/ Nitrous cams (325 fps IBO rating). Set at 53#, 27" draw, shooting a 267gr arrow I could get 299 fps out of that critter. Increase the draw to 27.5" and it did 304 fps, but it fit me better at 27". Speed is nice, but it's just a number and if it's a normal hunting setup it really doesn't matter much whether the bow is shooting 260 fps or 300 fps. Within 30 yards there just isn't that much difference in trajectory.

If it's for 3D then that's different. Keep one thing in mind. With the lower poundage and high letoff of today's bows you might have trouble with the holding weight. Sometimes you can't establish enough back tension and physically have to hold the bow up. Many people don't realize it but they would shoot better with less letoff. So maybe try adjusting one for 65%. It makes for a smoother rollover also and less precipitous drop-off.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:37 PM

I also have shoulder problems and have gone to mostly 60 lb. bows. But some of the new super speed bows, like the PSE X force, bother my shoulder more at 50 lbs. than a smooth moderate bow, like the Bowtech General, does at 65 lbs. No free lunches here, IMO. There isn't much you can't do with a 250 fps bow.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you draw length is 27.5" or less then the Bowtech equalizer.