Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed , KE, or Momentum?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Speed or KE?

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I'll take momentum.
X2.Slow them down,put deer whistles on em and blow the horn.Thats whatRW said.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: racewayking

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

is to be shootin 305-310fps with 87-91#KE
Wow!!
He heard there were hippos and rhinos on the loose in his woods, lol.

I like KE. I shoot better when my arrow is around 285 ish, idk why. Ill recheck my numbers, but I think I am upper 70s in KE and mid 280s in speed. My arrow is just under 500 grains, and doesnt break when shot into the concrete floor from 5 feet...trust me, ive accidentally tested it.[&:]
Hippos and rhinos??? I am talking Giraffes and Elephants
How could anyone ever shoot a Giraffe....[:-]
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Since I will rarely shoot past 30yds,I want a relatively heavy arrow that packs some punch,last years set up was a 490grns @260fps,with 78lbs of ke,Imust say it had plenty of everything in my mind.This year I may shoot a lighter arrow,i think it weighed out to 428grns,I picked up speed and ke stayed about the same,still plenty of everything.I bought some 50grn brass inserts to try in these new arrows it will give me a higher foc if it doesn't weaking the spine too much.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RuLzU

woahh.. that program looks cool, i want i want.
sweet @** setup.
You can download OT2 from pinwheelsoftware.com. However, you will need to get your bow chronographed to use this program accurately. racewayking's output used Factory IBO which is rarely ever accurate for a given bow and will be misleading if you try and use to to select arrows or set-up your pins with it.

With that said the higher your speed the higher your KE will be. Since, KE is mostly based on velocity while momentum is more a function of arrow weight. And sure an arrow will start to loose velocity after it leaves the string.However, most shots are under 40 yds and many of the fast bows have arrows that are still traveling faster at 40 yds than the bows we used to use in the 80's, and earlier, at the bow. Bottom line is that if you shoot at 60# or more and have a fast bow you can go lighter with arrow if you prefer and have plenty of penetration. And if you shoot under 60# you probably should use a heavier arrow for penetration purposes and trade off speed. Since isn't penetration really the most important factor?