Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed , KE, or Momentum?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM

Default RE: Speed or KE?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

is to be shootin 305-310fps with 87-91#KE
Wow!!
He heard there were hippos and rhinos on the loose in his woods, lol.

I like KE. I shoot better when my arrow is around 285 ish, idk why. Ill recheck my numbers, but I think I am upper 70s in KE and mid 280s in speed. My arrow is just under 500 grains, and doesnt break when shot into the concrete floor from 5 feet...trust me, ive accidentally tested it.[&:]
Old 06-08-2008, 11:52 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Steve

I was messing around with the bow ( Bear Instinct )today to find out what KE it had for elk hunting with Troy. I hadn't checked it after I putting a loop on it and a ripcord rest on itlast year.

Last year at 72 lbs maxed out, it shoots a 413 grain arrow at 270 fps = 67 ft-lbs

Now with the same arrow and ripcord/loop added, I shoot 254 fps = 59 ft-lbs. I was kind of shocked to see how many fps I lost !! [&:]

The arrow I plan on using for elk comes in at 460 grains... shoots248 fps = 63 ft-lbs at 10 yards. Tried it at 30 yards for funsey... 239 fps = 58 ft-lbs I would have went back to40 yards but I was getting depressed on the low KE when they recommend 65ft-lbsfor big game.

I also grabbed a 2219 aluminum that comes in at 598 grains... shoots 211 fps= 59 ft-lbs. That was too depressing to even go back to 20 yards. LOL

With the heavier carbon arrow and a prong style rest, I imagine I would be in the 67 KE range

For me... I will not go back to aprong rest to get more fps out of my bow for more KE.Iwant the arrow containment and accuracy of my ripcord rest much morethen 4 more ft-lbs of KE when it comes to ground huntingelk. It was the reason I went to the rip cord for hunting off the ground for deer. Very small shooting lanes for concealmentand moving to get the shot since they are so small. Sucks when your arrow pops of the prongs at the moment of truth when you only have a small window of oppertunity to get a shot off. Same applies for stalking or still hunting.

I really didn't answer your question on speed verses KEsince there is more involved for me. I don't shoot a speed bow so speed isn't a real big factor to start with. I guess I want the best of all worlds with accuracy always coming out on top.

Tim
Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 AM

I want both...and I have neither[&:]
Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 AM

I recently added weight to my and my wife's arrows. Result?

Wife before: 303 gr. @ 235 fps
At bow: KE 37 LB, momentum .31
At 20 yards: KE 35 LB, momentum .30

Wife after: 380 gr. @ 231 fps
At bow: KE 38 LB, momentum .36
At 20 yards KE 36 LB, momentum .349

Me before: 330 gr. @ 292 fps (4'' feathers)
At bow: KE 62 LB, momentum .427
At 20 yards KE 55 LB, momentum .399

Me after 385 gr. @ 274 fps (Blazers)
At bow: KE 64 LB, momentum .467
At 20 yards: KE 61 LB, momentum .454

I've always been speed oriented, but if you look atmomentum, we both have more at 20 yards now than we had at the bow before.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

i mostly use my bow to hunt deer so KE is most important to me. you can make the argument about flatter-shooting but that's what adjustable sights are for.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 AM

What's really nice about today's compound bows is that you can shoot a fast arrow AND have plenty of KE to burn. My set up last year I was shooting a 355 grain arrow 318 fps, producing nearly 80 pounds of KE. I think that's more than enough to do the job. Heavy arrows and KE aren't the issue they once were, today's bows are so incredibly efficient.

And, if you happen to have a speed bow, you can shoot a heavy arrow fast. Right now I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow 290 fps, generating almost 83 pounds of KE.

In some cases, it's all about KE. Traditional shooters, youth w/ low poundage bows......But, the nice thing w/ today's compounds is you can shoot the speed, and the KE will be a product of that.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

SInce I shoot a recurve speed isn't an issue, I fling logs from short distances, it's effective.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

is to be shootin 305-310fps with 87-91#KE
Wow!!
He heard there were hippos and rhinos on the loose in his woods, lol.

I like KE. I shoot better when my arrow is around 285 ish, idk why. Ill recheck my numbers, but I think I am upper 70s in KE and mid 280s in speed. My arrow is just under 500 grains, and doesnt break when shot into the concrete floor from 5 feet...trust me, ive accidentally tested it.[&:]
Hippos and rhinos??? I am talking Giraffes and Elephants
Old 06-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

What's really nice about today's compound bows is that you can shoot a fast arrow AND have plenty of KE to burn. My set up last year I was shooting a 355 grain arrow 318 fps, producing nearly 80 pounds of KE. I think that's more than enough to do the job. Heavy arrows and KE aren't the issue they once were, today's bows are so incredibly efficient.

And, if you happen to have a speed bow, you can shoot a heavy arrow fast. Right now I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow 290 fps, generating almost 83 pounds of KE.

In some cases, it's all about KE. Traditional shooters, youth w/ low poundage bows......But, the nice thing w/ today's compounds is you can shoot the speed, and the KE will be a product of that.
Efficient the new compounds are but I see allot of arrow set ups where they are not. People want speed, speed, speed.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking from 10 yards to 15 yards (your avg. shot in the woods) these arrows coming out of these new compound bows aren't hitting there top end speed yet being there still picking up speed and KE because of the huge let offs.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 AM

Schultzy, an arrow will be fastest right off the bow. By the time it's 15 yards down range, it's already started to slow down.

Quick Reply: Speed , KE, or Momentum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.