Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Old 06-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Just wondering if any of you guys seriously hunt rub lines. I've just started to the last couple of years and have learned a little. With the help of a game camera I learned quite a bit last year. The carmera really helped me figure out what time of day the buck was hitting his rub line and how often. I've learned that you have to find that primary rub line to make it worth your while. After two weeks of hunting his rub line I managed to harvest the 136" 8 pt. He was 4 1/2 years old and had the greyest face of any whitetail I have shot. If I can get to my sisters house to use her scanner I will post the pic.

Give me your guys' tips or theories on rub lines.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Who here hunts rub lines?

I don't know much about rub lines. Sounds like it worked for you. I usually hunt feeding areas and trails to and fro those feeding areas, at the right time of year there are rubs along the way, maybe a rub line???
Old 06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will always find rubs in those "staging" areas at the right time of year. It took me a few years to figure out the difference between those random rubs and an actual rub line.

This buck had several thigh sized trees tore up in this draw leading to a cut cornfield. One day I decided to spray down real good and follow this huge rubs. It took me to a huge blow down of trees. I knew then I had located his bedroom and set up the camera. After three days of the camera I pulled it and checked it and got pictures of the buck leaving his bed about 20 min. before last light 2 of those three days.That week I pulled my peep sight and learned to shoot without one becauseI knew this would be a low light shot.My set up was about 75 yrds east of his bed. I hunted the evening of Nov. 8th. and right on cue I saw him leaving the blow down with about 10 min. of light left. He hit two trees along the way and I knew if he hit the next three trees between me and him there was no way I would get a shot. After he hit the second tree. He threw his head up and walked right past my stand and I sent one on the way. The shot was a little far back but went right through the liver. My buddy and I went back 4 hours later and found him dead in his bed about 50 yrds from the shot.

I'm reading a book right now by Greg Miller on rub line tactics and this guy knows what he is talking about and there seems to be enough evidence in hunting rub lines to make it worth a guys while.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

You will always find rubs in those "staging" areas at the right time of year. It took me a few years to figure out the difference between those random rubs and an actual rub line.

This buck had several thigh sized trees tore up in this draw leading to a cut cornfield. One day I decided to spray down real good and follow this huge rubs. It took me to a huge blow down of trees. I knew then I had located his bedroom and set up the camera. After three days of the camera I pulled it and checked it and got pictures of the buck leaving his bed about 20 min. before last light 2 of those three days.That week I pulled my peep sight and learned to shoot without one becauseI knew this would be a low light shot.My set up was about 75 yrds east of his bed. I hunted the evening of Nov. 8th. and right on cue I saw him leaving the blow down with about 10 min. of light left. He hit two trees along the way and I knew if he hit the next three trees between me and him there was no way I would get a shot. After he hit the second tree. He threw his head up and walked right past my stand and I sent one on the way. The shot was a little far back but went right through the liver. My buddy and I went back 4 hours later and found him dead in his bed about 50 yrds from the shot.

I'm reading a book right now by Greg Miller on rub line tactics and this guy knows what he is talking about and there seems to be enough evidence in hunting rub lines to make it worth a guys while.
Good stuff right there Lunger!! I'll tell you what, that Greg Miller knows his whitetails.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always had better luck hunting active scrapes thanI have on rublines. To be honest, I've never put much research into rublines, but have noticed that alot of the mature deer in my area just go around nocturnally making rubs to strengthen muscles and let out aggression during the pre-rut and then start making and returning to scrapes when the does start going into heat in early November.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM

2lunger doesn't sound like you need Greg's help. Great story, got pics??? that's textbook stuff dude!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the kill pictures and I'm going through my alblum to get the game cam pics. I will have to use a scanner though to get the pics up loaded because they are not on a disc or file.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

I've always had better luck hunting active scrapes thanI have on rublines. To be honest, I've never put much research into rublines, but have noticed that alot of the mature deer in my area just go around nocturnally making rubs to strengthen muscles and let out aggression during the pre-rut and then start making and returning to scrapes when the does start going into heat in early November.
Just the opposite for me. In my 13yrs of hunting I have only seen 1 buck on a scrape during the day and he was the biggest deer I've ever seen. It was Halloween evening and the wind was blowing hard and my stand was about 23 yrds south of this scrape. I happened to look over and there he was.I just about fell out of my stand. He would've scored in the 180's easily. There was nothing I could do. If I would've stood up to get my bow he would've nailed me for sure. I just had to sit there and watch him walk away.

There is more to rubs than a deer letting out aggression and building neck muscles. They are also leaving there scent. Just like a dog peeing on a tree. The are also visual tools for every deer that comes across them.

I'm going to spend my season really focusing on rub lines in the pre-rut this year. Especially the last two weeks of October and right before the seek phase.

If anyone else hunts rub lines or has theories on this topic I want to hear them. I will have these pictures up tonight. I'm going to my sisters to use her scanner to upload these pics.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

2 Lunger,
Great story and great info. I took my largest buck hunting his rubline. I have yet to use my cameras to kill a deer, but from what I have learned from my cameras this past season, that might change.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

How do you know which buck is making a particular rub line?

How do you know there aren't multiple bucks working a rub line?

How do you know a particular buckhasn't worked a particular rub line, only once?

Dow do you determine one buck's rub line from another's?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.