Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Who here hunts rub lines?

Yep I am also reading my copy for the 2nd time.
ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

You will always find rubs in those "staging" areas at the right time of year. It took me a few years to figure out the difference between those random rubs and an actual rub line.

This buck had several thigh sized trees tore up in this draw leading to a cut cornfield. One day I decided to spray down real good and follow this huge rubs. It took me to a huge blow down of trees. I knew then I had located his bedroom and set up the camera. After three days of the camera I pulled it and checked it and got pictures of the buck leaving his bed about 20 min. before last light 2 of those three days.That week I pulled my peep sight and learned to shoot without one becauseI knew this would be a low light shot.My set up was about 75 yrds east of his bed. I hunted the evening of Nov. 8th. and right on cue I saw him leaving the blow down with about 10 min. of light left. He hit two trees along the way and I knew if he hit the next three trees between me and him there was no way I would get a shot. After he hit the second tree. He threw his head up and walked right past my stand and I sent one on the way. The shot was a little far back but went right through the liver. My buddy and I went back 4 hours later and found him dead in his bed about 50 yrds from the shot.

I'm reading a book right now by Greg Miller on rub line tactics and this guy knows what he is talking about and there seems to be enough evidence in hunting rub lines to make it worth a guys while.
Good stuff right there Lunger!! I'll tell you what, that Greg Miller knows his whitetails.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM

This year I found a lot of rubs in an area I would like to hunt that had scratches and gouges evenly spaced on calf andlarger sized trees. I believe the trees were rubbed with only the buck's brow tines. My question is, why do you think he rubs the trees this way? Is it a preferred way of rubbing by him or does it have to do with the configuration of his rack?I have seen this before in other placesand was always curious.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

2 Lunger....

You're a handsome fellar !!
Hey man, the sun was in my eyes and I had to resize the picture and it shrunk my head, yada yada yada...... shoot, I knew there was a reason my cousin told me to put my face mask back on!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Haus/WI

This year I found a lot of rubs in an area I would like to hunt that had scratches and gouges evenly spaced on calf andlarger sized trees. I believe the trees were rubbed with only the buck's brow tines. My question is, why do you think he rubs the trees this way? Is it a preferred way of rubbing by him or does it have to do with the configuration of his rack?I have seen this before in other placesand was always curious.
Most of the time a buck will put the tree right between his brow tine and his main beam and will go to town on it. He will also try and get the tree between his rack so he can get his forehead glands on the tree to leave his scent.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech.tribute

Where can you get that book?
Bowtech,

You can probably find it on Amazon.com or try googling Greg Miller's books. If that don't work for ya let me know and I will send you my copy if you promise to send it back when your done!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

2 Lunger....

You're a handsome fellar !!
I just swallowed a lipfull of Skoal dammit
Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks 2 lunger that is very nice of you, but i did find the book and plan on buying it soon. thanks again
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you found the book. I'm sure you will like it!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice buck 2 lunger.

Quick Reply: Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.