Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who here hunts rub lines?

I've never hunted a particular rub line. Generally where I hunt you don't get very many distinguishable lines. 1.Because so few bucks make it to maturity
& 2. the higher deer numbers leave you with an absolute random splattering of rubs everywhere. I'll find groups/areas of rubs, more than actaul lines. For killing any buck that is a good method to use. Lots of times it is in subtlle funnel type area.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM

HuntingBry, The name of Greg Miller's book is Rubline Secrets. I also think it is a good read and very informative, even if you don't use this tactic.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have moved stands mid-season to get closer/on good rub lines. I have never actually killed a buck from those stands, but I have come close a couple of times (drew on one twice without getting a shot and one saw me in the tree like I had a sign on). I don't do it very often, but every few years the opportunity presents itself and I get excited over the prospect.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's in the right spot I'll hunt it. It has to be in some sort of funnel or bedding area for me to hang a stand over it. If it's just going thru the middle of the woods I probably wouldn't hunt there.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt rub lines per say. But I don't ignore them.. in fact I study each one extensively. It can really improve ones odds I think to study them. Look for specific markings on the rub.. the height of the rub.. the species of the tree being rubbed (a particular buck will often mark only a specific species).. ETC ETC.

Use your god given common sense.. 2 trees close together where only one tree is rubbed sometimes have deep scratches appearing on the other tree. Scratches caused by tines.. the buck who's rubbing it probably has good tine length depending on the distance of the second tree. His rubs will start to stand out.

A buck with a wide rack will break little twigs and junk many inches on either side of the rub.. you have just identified that buck.

Study the rubs. The more you look at and think about the better you will become. The tiniest occurances will start sticking out like "sore thumbs" to you. You'll find you are more correct than you would think.. the human imagination is a powerful tool.

I don't usually hunt rub lines.. but I am aware of all of the rubs in the area I am hunting and it has put me on good deer at times.

Right time. Right buck. It's what its all about.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

You will always find rubs in those "staging" areas at the right time of year. It took me a few years to figure out the difference between those random rubs and an actual rub line.

This buck had several thigh sized trees tore up in this draw leading to a cut cornfield. One day I decided to spray down real good and follow this huge rubs. It took me to a huge blow down of trees. I knew then I had located his bedroom and set up the camera. After three days of the camera I pulled it and checked it and got pictures of the buck leaving his bed about 20 min. before last light 2 of those three days.That week I pulled my peep sight and learned to shoot without one becauseI knew this would be a low light shot.My set up was about 75 yrds east of his bed. I hunted the evening of Nov. 8th. and right on cue I saw him leaving the blow down with about 10 min. of light left. He hit two trees along the way and I knew if he hit the next three trees between me and him there was no way I would get a shot. After he hit the second tree. He threw his head up and walked right past my stand and I sent one on the way. The shot was a little far back but went right through the liver. My buddy and I went back 4 hours later and found him dead in his bed about 50 yrds from the shot.

I'm reading a book right now by Greg Miller on rub line tactics and this guy knows what he is talking about and there seems to be enough evidence in hunting rub lines to make it worth a guys while.

Here is the buck I killed on his rub line.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Haus/WI

HuntingBry, The name of Greg Miller's book is Rubline Secrets. I also think it is a good read and very informative, even if you don't use this tactic.
This is a great book with tons of information. Greg is probably the best rub line hunter out there. If someone can figure one out it is him. I'll read anything Greg Miller will write.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Where can you get that book?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will always find rubs in those "staging" areas at the right time of year. It took me a few years to figure out the difference between those random rubs and an actual rub line.

This buck had several thigh sized trees tore up in this draw leading to a cut cornfield. One day I decided to spray down real good and follow this huge rubs. It took me to a huge blow down of trees. I knew then I had located his bedroom and set up the camera. After three days of the camera I pulled it and checked it and got pictures of the buck leaving his bed about 20 min. before last light 2 of those three days.That week I pulled my peep sight and learned to shoot without one becauseI knew this would be a low light shot.My set up was about 75 yrds east of his bed. I hunted the evening of Nov. 8th. and right on cue I saw him leaving the blow down with about 10 min. of light left. He hit two trees along the way and I knew if he hit the next three trees between me and him there was no way I would get a shot. After he hit the second tree. He threw his head up and walked right past my stand and I sent one on the way. The shot was a little far back but went right through the liver. My buddy and I went back 4 hours later and found him dead in his bed about 50 yrds from the shot.

I'm reading a book right now by Greg Miller on rub line tactics and this guy knows what he is talking about and there seems to be enough evidence in hunting rub lines to make it worth a guys while.

Here is the buck I killed on his rub line.

Nice buck!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck.

Quick Reply: Who here hunts rub lines? Updated with pics on pg 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.