Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All this trophy talk.........

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default All this trophy talk.........

All this trophy talk has me wondering. What do you think taking trophy deer accomplishes. 150 class and higher. I know for most its a goal, but why do you have that goal? Is it for personal gain or interest? Is it to say im a better hunter than the next guy? Is it because youre thinking or hoping that someday youll get your own tv show? What drives you to take that monster buck? What difference does it really make between taking a 5 year old 200 class buck vs a 3 year old 100 class buck? I just dont get the point in the big buck penomenon. Im so glad im not stuck in it. I dont want reasons like, its quality deer management, helps produce a better herd, etc, we all know some of that but what are your "reasons".
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: All this trophy talk.........

I think I was just raised on the notion that getting a "big buck" is something to be proud of. ANd you have to admit that they look awesome haning on the wall. But with that said - I am still really proud of any animal that I take with a bow. They are all "trophies", just some are worth the extra money to hang on the wall.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its hard as heck to shoot a 150"+ 4.5+ whitetail. I guarantee you if it was so easy people wouldn't do it. Its damn challenging. Its part of the same reasons I shoot a recurve. Lets step it up and see what happens, the accomplishments in the end are much more rewarding to me being I mastered that buck.

Sometimes hunters get ticked off when someone shoots a big buck. Allot of the time its jealously, deep down they want to do the same but instead they come out with some stupid excuse saying I'm not a trophy hunter, I don't need to kill big bucks to have fun! Thats crazy and you know it. I guarantee that person hunting big bucks is having fun too. If anything he's giving others a chance at better bucks being he's letting the little guys go. Some of these guys passing on small bucks should be getting a pat on the back from the neighbor who doesn't practice this kind of hunting and shoots a great buck. Usually its that same neighbor putting down good quality trophy hunters.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in PA you get one tag, so using it reservedly can add countless hours to your tree time.
Those with few hours to hunt can chose not to be so reserved.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think for myself its the challenge to continually do better.I think its built intoevery oneof us. I also must add that by trying to shoot better bucks every season allows more bucks get bigger on the properties I hunt which has really been showing the past few years.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this falls into the category of if it needs explained, you wouldn't understand.
No disrespect meant either way, just that some people are wired one way, and others aren't.

That said, for me, I no longer find any thrill at all in killing a young buck. I'm not going to shoot something just for the sake of doing so in that case. I have no dillusions of grandeur that me wanting to shoot big bucks will lead to anything other than...hopefully a few dead big bucks. I also want to replace "big" with "mature" because to put an actual number is pointless to me. I may never see a 150" but while hunting, but that doesn't mean I don't have "trophy" caliber mature bucks to pursue.

I am so glad I got out of the mindset of killing just any buck. Wish I would have "escaped" sooner.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no jealousy over any hunters buck. I congratulate them with a hand shake, pat on the back and if I know they guy a beer or two. Its nice to see the big bucks on a tailgate. Ive take a couple really nice bucks over the years and im sure theres more to come, but theyll come along when its my time. I dont strive to shoot a big buck. I do not have antler envy as some do. Like Npockat does..hehe
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Original: Schultzy

the accomplishments in the end are much more rewarding to me being I mastered that buck.
No disrespect at all, but there will always be a lot of luck involved in "mastering" that buck. If luck is involved, then mastering is a big word to use.

Just my opinion.

LT
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the challenge. Here in the mid-west, simply taking a deer is easy. There are so many, if you hang in a tree long enough, something is going to walk by and allow you to shoot. Some hunters want more than just taking a deer. Dont get me wrong, I am a meat hunter, I love to eat deer. However, I know I can eat does, so I shot plenty of them and hunt for the buck I want, not just simply taking any buck. Some don't have the drive or feel the need to hunt just big bucks so they don't. I don't think one way is wrong and one way is right. We are all different and hunt for different reasons. What I don't like is when I hear or read someone dogging someone because they took a small or young buck. What I hate even more than that is I read a post on here asking if a certain buck is worth taking. I mean I don't know anyone on here personally, so why would I care what you think and why would anyone on here care want another hunter takes as long as he is doing it legally and ethically?

Quick Reply: All this trophy talk.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.