Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All this trophy talk.........

Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All this trophy talk.........

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Its hard as heck to shoot a 150"+ 4.5+ whitetail. I guarantee you if it was so easy people wouldn't do it. Its damn challenging. Its part of the same reasons I shoot a recurve. Lets step it up and see what happens, the accomplishments in the end are much more rewarding to me being I mastered that buck.

Sometimes hunters get ticked off when someone shoots a big buck. Allot of the time its jealously, deep down they want to do the same but instead they come out with some stupid excuse saying I'm not a trophy hunter, I don't need to kill big bucks to have fun! Thats crazy and you know it. I guarantee that person hunting big bucks is having fun too. If anything he's giving others a chance at better bucks being he's letting the little guys go. Some of these guys passing on small bucks should be getting a pat on the back from the neighbor who doesn't practice this kind of hunting and shoots a great buck. Usually its that same neighbor putting down good quality trophy hunters.
Well put Shultzy. How many times have we had a neighbor call us all excited and asking us to come look at "his" buck. When we get there we see this buck and it looks very familiar because it is a deer we have passed up many times before. I know I've been there and it get me a little excited because I know I passed this deer up and someone else took it and it made their season.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

I've always referred to hunting mature bucksor as I call them "old" bucks. The headgear is usually a byproduct of their age but not what I am after first and foremost. So for me personally its simply matching myself up with a deer thats been aroundthe block a lot ofyears andattempingto hunt and kill him. The motivation is like nothing else for me. I have given up/made a lot of sacrificesand passed on a lot of social activities, sports, recreations,etc because for me, nothing can hold a candle to how hunting an old buck makes me feel. I just love every part of it from finding one to scouting him to breaking him down to finally setting up and trying to kill him. The oldest buck I've ever killed scored 40 points less than my largest scoring buck... which one am I most proud of.. BOTH exactly the same, they were both mature and savvy old critters that eluded a lot of hunters for several years. They both made great table fair and I have a deep respect for those old boys that outlast/elude most hunters. Finally I'll say this as I always say, shoot what makes you happy and don't worry about the antler hype.
The best post on this topic yet guys!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed on.

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

really good responses guys. would weall continue to hunt if they outlawed shooting big bucks, and told us only does and small bucks??? I know I would, but if only big bucks get you pumped then maybe you would quit hunting. who would stick with it?? who would not?? I love killing big bucks, love it, I think they are awesome, but I love killing deer too and I love to hunt for them, it's exciting to be able to killl something and then feed your family.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just started another thread simular to this one, What I don't understand is all the numbers lately!!! I love some of the answers on here with the word mature buck not 150 or 140!!! I believe Schulzty Is the most correct I believe every hunter up his game and wants to make it more challenging in his own ways weather it's a recurve or a bigger buck or onecertain buck. I just know when the buck walks in if it is one I want to shoot or not!! Walt