Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All this trophy talk.........

Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All this trophy talk.........

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

How many of us would still hold out for that 150+ deer if we knew absolutely no one else cared? Some...yes....many?....no.

Note: its not a criticism, just an observation! I probably would lose all interest in antlers too!

I would, cause it's all about me.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

To me, it is not about the "size" of the antlers, but the rarity of a mature whitetail deer, not just a buck. Mature deer are masters at their game, and I am just trying to find the pieces of the puzzle!

For instance, I think that arrowheads are COOL. But, I think that rocks, are moderately boring. I would hunt for an arrowhead, but never a rock.

IMO, it is easy to shoot young deer. It is much harder to harvest a mature deer, that knows what is going on.

I guess that is why I like girls that play hard to get!?!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think this falls into the category of if it needs explained, you wouldn't understand.
Gospel!

How many of us would still hold out for that 150+ deer if we knew absolutely no one else cared? Some...yes....many?....no.
I'd still care. I do it for me, always have. I'm facinated by antlers, it's like opening Christmas presents. You never know what you're going to get. The older and bigger a buck is, the more facinating he is to me.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, mature deer are harder to come by, so it's a rare accomplishment, making it a more memorable in some individual's mind. (of which I'm included). It's a goal, but no different than a golfer looks at a hole in one, or a bowler rolling a 300. It happens, you hang your score card up, perhaps get a pin from the local club, etc. It's cool.

It does not however diminish any animal I have every taken under 150 or the doe I shot for the freezer. It's the experience and the quality time in the woods. But just like a weekend golfer, who loves to go and enjoy friends and the outdoors, who's hole in one will always be talked about and remembered in his circle of friends.

I don't think there are many folks who are out there chasing mature deer for fame, IMO.

Kelly
Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM

really good responses guys. would weall continue to hunt if they outlawed shooting big bucks, and told us only does and small bucks??? I know I would, but if only big bucks get you pumped then maybe you would quit hunting. who would stick with it?? who would not?? I love killing big bucks, love it, I think they are awesome, but I love killing deer too and I love to hunt for them, it's exciting to be able to killl something and then feed your family.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Bartender

Life is full of challanges and this is just one of many.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I started hunting my goal was to get a deer, any deer. My first bow kill was a doe fawn. As I became a better hunter I started holding out for a buck, any buck. Soon it became too easy to kill a 1 1/2 year old buck. I wanted to keep hunting so I set my goals higher. Now I hunt for mature bucks. I have had some success but am far from being proficient at it. Sure, pride and ego plays a part. I believe anyone who doesn't admitt to this is lying to themselves. In the end though I hunt for myself. If someone told me that I couldn't tell anyone about the deer I shot or share pictures I would still hunt for mature bucks. It's about me vs. a smart survival machine. It sharpens my senses and brings me back alive. That's why I hunt trophy deer.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

If someone told me that I couldn't tell anyone about the deer I shot or share pictures I would still hunt for mature bucks. It's about me vs. a smart survival machine. It sharpens my senses and brings me back alive. That's why I hunt trophy deer.
I know a lot of hunters.....and I 100% believe this about YOU.

Respect.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Its hard as heck to shoot a 150"+ 4.5+ whitetail. I guarantee you if it was so easy people wouldn't do it. Its damn challenging. Its part of the same reasons I shoot a recurve. Lets step it up and see what happens, the accomplishments in the end are much more rewarding to me being I mastered that buck.

Sometimes hunters get ticked off when someone shoots a big buck. Allot of the time its jealously, deep down they want to do the same but instead they come out with some stupid excuse saying I'm not a trophy hunter, I don't need to kill big bucks to have fun! Thats crazy and you know it. I guarantee that person hunting big bucks is having fun too. If anything he's giving others a chance at better bucks being he's letting the little guys go. Some of these guys passing on small bucks should be getting a pat on the back from the neighbor who doesn't practice this kind of hunting and shoots a great buck. Usually its that same neighbor putting down good quality trophy hunters.
Great stuff right there Steve!!Everything you said here is spot on. I had to reply to this just now because I'm catching up with what went on here today. I wasn't around. I had to wwwwwwwork.[:@]That is a four letter word isn't it?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Realistically, where I live in Pa, I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a true Trophy Buck. And yes, like I said in a previous post, a trophy lies in the eyes of the beholder. Several of my Pa bucks are trophies to me reguardless of their antler size, as they were memorable hunts in their own respect.
However, I have always aspired to kill a truely BIG BUCK, and through reading years ago,I learned of the Edmonton BowZone (no tag draw)in Alberta, and it's potential for giant bucks.I dreamed of going there for years, and as my life progressed I finally became ableto make this dream a reality!This is basically because I remained single with no children.
I pay a lot of money to hunt up there as most of you already know. I do this simply to give myself aCHANCE to makea life long dreama reality.
A giant buck on my wall will forever remind methat "thoughts become things", and that nothing in life is out of reach if you persue it with a passion!! I'm done.

Quick Reply: All this trophy talk.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.