Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Done testing-Buying my bow TODAY! Tip needed

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Done testing-Buying my bow TODAY! Tip needed

I don'trecommend the single pin for hunting because it takes too much adjustment for changing yardage. Either you have to adjust the sight up or down while the deer is coming in, or just aim the pin at a different location on the deer to get it to hit where you want to hit. I prefer the 3 pin at various yardage depending on how far you wanna shoot. Mine is set up for hunting and are set at 15, 25 and 30 yards
Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second the idea of going with the QAD and dropping the WB. As far as sights go, how far are you planning on shooting? That is a really big factor in deciding which sight. If you are going to stick with nothing farther than 30 yard shots, go with a single pin sight like the HHA. If you want to play at 50 and 60 yards, go with Copper Johns or something along those lines with small .019 pins that glow real well.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Spot-hogg with .019 pins also, i've got the hunter hogg-it with the wrap.For hunting stay away from single pin sights. You've tried lots of bows before you made a decision so don't settle on just any sight either, find one that you like.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

In what I have been looking at and reading customer reviews on I really like the spot hogs, but noticed that all of the cabelas models have the larger .029 pins, do they glow/gather light a lotbetter than the .019 pins and how much of a difference does the wrap make? Dang they a little pricey but hey my rifles are only as good as my scopes so my bow is only as good as my sight right.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at the Viper line of sights. http://www.viperarcheryproducts.com/
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Do you have Viper, I just looked at their site and like the 4 pin hunter and it is a great price, like 94. I am going to call them up right now and ask how much of it is plastic if any.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Tru Glo single pin adjustable sight that has the trinium fiber optic, it is really nice sight for the money, I had a copper john with the .019 pins and I found them to be a lil small for my liking. The tru-glo adjustable with the trinium pin is really nice..... The trinium makes it lightly glow in the dark so you dont have to have a light or anything and it stays brighter than my dad impact arhcery cosmic..
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM

By the way Iforgot to mention that I noticed they are made in the USA which is a prerequisite, I am tired of Lost American Jobs and crappy foreign made junk[:@]. I did the math once, if everyone would insist on buying a couple of 20 dollar items American a week and not China you would not believe how much less they would receive. USA,USA
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, yes I do!!!

My single-pin sight has an adjustment knob where I can change ranges if I need to in hunting situations. If I have time in the field and the deer won't detect me, I will adjust the site to the range for the shot. I use a range finder ahead of time to mark objects at known ranges to help with the decision on the setting.

More often than not however, you don't have time to adjust the sight. So, I will set the sight in a fixed location at 25 yards. Then I will practice at distances out to 40 with holderover so I know how to shoot in that scenario.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM

shooting style should determine your sight and type of mount used, traditional or comp style, many good arrows on the market,beman,easton, cx,goldtip. but don't buy cheap to save money, if you do ,you will be wanting and finially replacing it down the road. buy the items you want, that usually saves you in the long run..look for companys that offer good warrantys

Quick Reply: Done testing-Buying my bow TODAY! Tip needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.