Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are trophy bowhunters REALLY quality deer managers?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are trophy bowhunters REALLY quality deer managers?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I consider myself a so called trophy hunter I guess. I only shoot bucks that meet my limitations (130+ and up) or I'll shoot an older buck that has no decent looking genetics. Its not to often I get my buck I'm after and usually I'll shoot a doe or doe fawn in its place but not a young buck.

How is this not QDM? I've taken 4 times the doe's then bucks!
Schultzy ... I never said it wasn't .... MOST hunters don't score like you do .... we have guys here in NY that wont shoot anything but a big buck and talk about QDM ....it's a contradiction in my opinion
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ugly truth is a farmer's "quality deer herd" is not a biologist's "quality deer herd" is not a trophy hunter's "quality deer herd" is not a meat hunter's "quallity deer herd"

And thats why these threads go on and on.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I consider myself a so called trophy hunter I guess. I only shoot bucks that meet my limitations (130+ and up) or I'll shoot an older buck that has no decent looking genetics. Its not to often I get my buck I'm after and usually I'll shoot a doe or doe fawn in its place but not a young buck.

How is this not QDM? I've taken 4 times the doe's then bucks!
Schultzy ... I never said it wasn't .... MOST hunters don't score like you do .... we have guys here in NY that wont shoot anything but a big buck and talk about QDM ....it's a contradiction in my opinion
I know you didn't say it was Tony but I wanted someone to try and tell me it isn't! There's many people out there that don't have a clue what QDM is but yet they think there doing it. It will never change. We can only control what happens in our own woods, not the neighbors or anyone elses. I feel I'm doing my best in what I have to work with. It could be much better then it is but thats life.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

The ugly truth is a farmer's "quality deer herd" is not a biologist's "quality deer herd" is not a trophy hunter's "quality deer herd" is not a meat hunter's "quallity deer herd"

That's the bottom line....Some people will say deer hunting is better in my home state of PA, I am one of them. Others will complain cause they are not seeing the numbers they used to...everybody has a different definition of "good".
Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

That's the bottom line....Some people will say deer hunting is better in my home state of PA, I am one of them. Others will complain cause they are not seeing the numbers they used to...everybody has a different definition of "good".

Very true!

But, bawatajim (however he spells it) is still wrong.

But really, I do think that Joe is very right, everyone's perception is a bit different. This is the beauty of America, right!?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Bartender

Dan I have a headache.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Cars kill more deer in this country than all hunters combined.
Jimmyyyyyyy Jimmyyyyyyy Jimmyyyyyy.......I'm not going to get in a discussion about QDM, I've learnd from the past. BUT, I'd like to see where you came up with that little tidbit of info? A couple years ago, in WI, there were about 60,000 deer killed by cars and around 300,000 killed by hunters......
Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

But, bawatajim (however he spells it) is still wrong.

But really, I do think that Joe is very right, everyone's perception is a bit different. This is the beauty of America, right!?
Saying I'm wrong is like saying milk doesn't go well with peanut butter cookies.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's allI have to say about this subject. First off, a "Trophy" lies in the eye of the beholder. Secondly, I don't think the wordsQDM and public land can beused in the same sentence. Not thatit was. That's why this thread could go to 20 pages.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Saying I'm wrong is like saying milk doesn't go well with peanut butter cookies.
THAT was funny.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they had a deer farm and spent most of the time weeding out the inferior deer and only took the deer with the biggest rack after it showed signs of degeneration then yes, they could be considered QD managers. However, if they just go out and shoot the biggest deer they have captured on a camera while said deer is still in his prime, then no. That would be a contradiction like you suggested.

Quick Reply: Are trophy bowhunters REALLY quality deer managers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.