Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

So I've gone back and forth between whether or not I want to transition into hang-on stands or not. I've only ever used climbers, and althought I love their portabilty, I don't like that some stand locations I hunt require absolute stealth getting out of the stand (evening hunts), and even the best climbers make some extra noise (even if it's just a small slip-up on your part). This is one major concern of mine, but another pertains to what you do with the stand at the end of a hunt. I ALWAYS have left my climber at the base of the tree when finished. I never pack it out, until it's time to move locations, or it's the end of the season. I've read more than a few articles/posts on here that doing this will certainly effect your area (extra scent, disturbance, make the deer a bit uneasy, etc). So, those of you with climbers, do you leave them at the base of the tree, or pack them out every time? It seems to me that it would be a huge hassle to pack everything up after every hunt, but I suppose if that's what it takes, then so be it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

I ALWAYS have left my climber at the base of the tree when finished. I never pack it out, until it's time to move locations, or it's the end of the season.
Matt, how many climbers do you have?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will definitely say that if you are using your climber to hunt the same trees year after year or on certain winds etc. (In other words you already have very specific spots identified) then you are really missing the boat by not using a couple decent hang on stand sets.
Seriously, when you start using them and realize how much nicer it is to just slip in and up into a hang on stand you'll wonder why you ever bothered with the climber.

I know its not the exact answer you're looking for, but I would only use the climber to sit in different spots that I wanted to try and use hang on's in my best trees. (You might even find you can hang a stand in a BETTER tree than you hunted out of your climber because you can have more cover around you.

Transition to hang on stands, trust me.

But if you use the climber.......I'd probably take it with. They do get pretty stunk up and if you leave it at the bottom of the tree you might as well still be sitting in it if a buck passes downwind of it.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

My $350 Lone Wolf climber comes and goes with me, almostalways. I will, on rare occasions, leaveit LOCKED to the tree if I know I'm coming back before first light the following morning.I had one (LW) stolenonce that was locked![:@][>:]I don't take chances any more.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to hang ons two years ago and I have not looked back....as Matt said....you will love being able to slip in undectected. Also, with your property you DO have areas or sets that you know you hunt year after year...at least in close proximity....so do youself the favor and look for the sales and get 3 or 4 and set them in the next month or two buddy. Call me..I will help ya...its way easier and more fun with two.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I rarely hunt the same tree twice in a row. The only time I leave it in place is when I definitely want to hunt that tree the next morning. Then I'll spray it with some scent killer and leave it on the tree. Really the only time I've done it is when I go to the Southern Tier of NY and get there at noon or so. I'll carry it in with the intentions of finding a spot primarily for the next morning. I'm hunting woods I haven't seen so I have probably wandered around a bit making a fuss. I get set and hunt it as long as I'm there. I'll pull a garbage bag over it to keep the seat dry or night time snow off it and sneak on out when it's dark. If you're hunting the same tree that much, like for the season, well you're probably over hunting it. If you have no choice, well by all means put up a hang on. They're cheap, there are some comfortable one out there and you have the advantage of not making a fuss. I will place a hangon with a climbing stick or something or steps and either hide the stick close by or take out a few steps so it's harder for someone to use it or steal it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm very religious with my scent control, but I still don't like the thought of having it that close to the ground all of the time, nor do I want to mess with undoing them and packing them out at night. The main reason I'm hesitant about switching is cost. Climbing sticks and screw in steps are..well...overpriced imho, then add in the stand it really adds up, but it's price you have to pay I suppose.

Ben, I had 4 climbers and 1 ladder, but one climber disappeared on me (I think my dad's friend has it), so I'm down to 3 climbers. I'll take you up on the offer to hang a few if I get some, plus we need to do some shooting this summer between all of your boating.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find killer deals in the offseason for hang ons....now they aren't the top of the line, but between walmart, kmartand dick's sporting goods, i have caught a few deals. The best being 3 baby gorilla stands for 6 bucks each at kmart. I thought it was a mistake...but the manager said last year's model 90 percent off.....i made sure he checked the back as well. There were some nice ones this past year at walmart for 50 percent off...i just wish i had bought them now with the addition of the new land that I have to hunt. I will end up watching at Dick's for a 20 or 30 percent deal that they will have closer to the season. All of these stands that I mentioned aren't ideal for all day sits, but they are safe and they work. And now that you mention it the boating is fineand so are the small mouths

Quick Reply: Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.