Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

very rarely do i leave my climber there locked up. only if i will be back in the morning and on private land. even then it makes me nervous to leave it there over night
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take mine with me every time while hunting state land!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I have to go with Ben on this one, I haven't ever hunted where a climber would be much use. I tend to leave my good all day hang on's in place and then I have a couple lightweight alluminum's hang on's for moving around as well as a couple tri-pod's (these are a last resort for me)if that's all that will work. Oh plus my double bull for moving around....As far as buying climbing sticks, bro those can be made cheap out of 3/4 square tubing, I made about 100' of climbing sticks that hook to each other for about 125.00.... I can hang 6-8 stands on that 100'....I spent the money on the stands and built the sticks....

hey cuz.. you got picutures of this climbing sticks tubing your talking about? sounds very intersting.. thanks.. please share with us.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I quit using hang ons about 12 years ago, they aren't comfortable and after having a few stolen, I just stuck with climbers...

There is a 3rd option, stash it in the woods, hide it under a brushpile, as I have gotten older, I don't like to carry a stand more than a mile or so, so I sometimes hide them, sometimes leave them locked to the base of the tree and usually (probably 85%) just take them with me...

I use APIs, if you want to lock them to the tree, remove the pins, install 4 long shanked locks and she is locked and ready to climb up when you return...I've killed too many deer after leaving the stand in the woods to believe that the stand spooks the deer when left on the tree...I've also had deer come through while I was climbing up, just because they hear you clinbing a tree doesn't mean they associate it with danger...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I know I'm coming back into the same spot the next day, I sometimes leave my stand. There have been a few days where I left it at the tree only to have a change of heart on the way home and decided to hunt elsewhere, but figure out that I don't have that option because my climber is already attached to a different tree. I've done that a few times and rarely leave my stand attach anymore. If you do decide to leave it, why not take a bottle of spray and hose it down before you leave for the night and try to cut down as much scent as possible while leaving it out?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

So I've gone back and forth between whether or not I want to transition into hang-on stands or not. I've only ever used climbers, and althought I love their portabilty, I don't like that some stand locations I hunt require absolute stealth getting out of the stand (evening hunts), and even the best climbers make some extra noise (even if it's just a small slip-up on your part). This is one major concern of mine, but another pertains to what you do with the stand at the end of a hunt. I ALWAYS have left my climber at the base of the tree when finished. I never pack it out, until it's time to move locations, or it's the end of the season. I've read more than a few articles/posts on here that doing this will certainly effect your area (extra scent, disturbance, make the deer a bit uneasy, etc). So, those of you with climbers, do you leave them at the base of the tree, or pack them out every time? It seems to me that it would be a huge hassle to pack everything up after every hunt, but I suppose if that's what it takes, then so be it.
If I were to do that, I'd just used a portable hanging stand or ladder and leave it. The only reason I use a climber is when hunting public land, or high crime areas where I can expect to get things stolen. I pack out my climber everytime. It only weighs 14 pounds or so and it is nothnig but quiet. Lone Wold alpha climber.