Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Pack it out everytime.

I am sure it is nice to just walk to your tree. But, I am in love with my climber, and it is just so much cheaper to make 1 climber really comfortable and quite, as opposed to buying other stands.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

my climber will become a lock on this year at my new property!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to go with Ben on this one, I haven't ever hunted where a climber would be much use. I tend to leave my good all day hang on's in place and then I have a couple lightweight alluminum's hang on's for moving around as well as a couple tri-pod's (these are a last resort for me)if that's all that will work. Oh plus my double bull for moving around....As far as buying climbing sticks, bro those can be made cheap out of 3/4 square tubing, I made about 100' of climbing sticks that hook to each other for about 125.00.... I can hang 6-8 stands on that 100'....I spent the money on the stands and built the sticks....
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I hunt till dusk and will be coming back in the morning i'll leave it there, otherwise it comes with me.

I hate to leave any equipment in the woods withoutsome sort of lock on it. I end up worrying about all day.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM

I have near 20 lockons or bolt ons depending where there are placed and 1 climber, I usethe climbera lot to find the the trees that I will have lockons in every season I hunt there. After you have a few lockons in historicly good places ,the climbers will be the last pick.I have killed alot of deer out of climbers and say they are a must have but to hunt a tree 3 or 4 times in a month you will educate more deer with the climber then a lockon by far.I have had a few trophy bucks standing right under my tree right after climbing,they come to the sound of the climber. The trouble is they are standing next to my bow on the gound,last year mid day nov.11 150'' class 8 point.

[/align]
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learned this last year to pack it out. After I left mine out after the gun season and couldnt get to it because the amount of snow we had I got to it once th esnow was down enough and had no cushion left in my seat, so now i need to order a replacement from ameristep. [:@]
Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll be looking at some hang-ons.

TexasBowHunter,

I certainly have the ability to make my own, but steel prices here are up here as well, so who knows. I may look into it. Are yours aluminum or steel?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, I will put you on my list of buddies to call when I find deals in our area!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whether to use a Climber, hangon that I leave in the tree or a hangon that I hang using Lone Wolf Climbing sticks and take down the stand and sticks everytime I huntis highly dependent in parton whether I am hunting public or private land, the area and the amount of pressure the spot is getting.
If I know the area contains a paticular treeor tree line that dosent offer and straight trees without branches that will not afford me to use a climber I will pack in an olderBaby Gorilla hangon stand I have with Lone Wolf Climbing sticks and hang the stand, hunt it and take it all down afetr the hunt and pack it out.
Keep in mind though that I hunt mostly public land where on some of them you are not allowed to leave stands in the woods and, I bowhunt very little on private land.
I hated the climber and all the work of hanging it and climbing and noise in the beginning but with practice I became very quiet with it and got used to the work of hanging it and climbing. I like the portability of the climber and the suprise effect on the deer. I also spray down my climber with DDW scent killer evertime I hunt with it and make sure I am as scent free as possible while hanging and climbing the stand.
I Always pack it out and I would never leave my climber on the base of the tree, Ive seen hunters do it and in fact I was walking a trail one day when Ispotted 3 Does, I had the wind in my favor and they hadnt spotted me so I watched the3 does eyeing a climber a hunter left around the base of a tree, they didnt like what they saw or smelled and soon spooked and ran fromthe area.
On public landin the past Ileaned more towards the hangon stands until one day I had a stand in a tree when another hunter came and hung a stand maybe 50 yards from mine, while I was Bowhunting there I watched a huge Buck chase a Doe across the river and they were headed my way.
As I stood and prepared for the shot the Doe stopped at the other hunters stand and I watched her strech out her neck and sniff the stands step and she imediatly spoked and vered off course and took the big buck with her out of my range.[:@]After that day I made my transition to a climber stand.
So for me after witnessing the above events in the woods it was Lesson Learned
I have almost exclusively used my climber on public land for the last 3 years.
On private land I took my largest Archery Buck scoring in the 190's while using my climber and on Public land it has worked out awesome ,with me taking myother 3largest Archery Bucks and a bunch of Does from my climber.
And on this paticular Private land I was the first and only hunter on the property for the entire week,So all the stands were descented and fresh haven never been hunted that yearAnd only 2 Archery Does, and one missed Archery 11 point buckfrom hangon stands on private land, but there were several other deer that I could of taken but they were either to small of bucks or does ,which I already took 2 does that week and didnt have the room to transport them home in my vechicle.

Kind of interesting that the paticular University owned Public Park property I bowhunt last year there was 65 bowhunters allowed to bowhunt the property and only 13 bucks were taken on the property and of the 13 bucks taken the majority were taken from climber's.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

All it takes is losing a 2 week old climber left at the base of a tree (on posted private land) and you'll never let it spend another moment in the woods alone.

Quick Reply: Climbers: Pack Out or Leave it there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.