Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't we all just hunt??

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Can't we all just hunt??

I agree as well and I think we take the tuning of our bows a little to seriously too. At least I am guilty of this as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Its all about personal goals for me. If any one wants to kill whatever makes them happy then thats ok with me. always has been always will be. Ill be the first to shake his hand. Some bucks just dont do it for me any more, and if i dont tag out....so be it!! im fine with that. But thats just me
I didn't say I didn't have goals or standards, but they're all mine. I don't try to impose them on anyone else and don't really feel I have to tell everyone what they are. I don't want somenewbie thinking just because I've killed a lot of nice deer he has to do it my way to live up to my standards. My standards for everyone else is Just DoIt. I don't care what your standards are and will congradulate anyone that shoots something he felt like shooting. I'll laugh and joke with him and really tell him I'm happy as all get out for him. The only exceptions are when hunting someone elses land or club or property. I ask what the rules of engagement are. If someone says 8 point or better or width or whatever, I live by his rules. Whenever someone tells me shoot whatever you want I pry and dig to get a feel for what they'd shoot. I don't want to be the guy to bring in something that none of the club members would shoot. My standards vary with local. When I go to Ohio I let a lot of bucks walk that would be dead at home because I know the potential of both areas.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They're only complicated if you make it so. I hunt for me and my enjoyment. I don't measure horns and don't try to keep up with all the Jones with stealth cams and all the latest money pits. I'm the only one I worry about pleasing. I hunt what's legal and shoot what I feel like shooting on any particular hunt. I may pass a deer today and shoot him or her tomorrow. When I let the arrow go it's not for anyone or anything but me.
RESPECT!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its all about personal goals for me. If any one wants to kill whatever makes them happy then thats ok with me. always has been always will be. Ill be the first to shake his hand. Some bucks just dont do it for me any more, and if i dont tag out....so be it!! im fine with that. But thats just me
I'm with bloodcreek here. I have my goals each season. If someone harvests something that makes them happy that is all that matters. Some people may be happy with any buck they can take. If it tickles them to death and gets there blood pumping than I'm just as happy for them. I've ate more tag soup than I have buck tenderloin. But, I'm ok with that. If the buck I'm after beats me that year I'm happy with that too. I've actually crawled out of my stand on closing day with a smerk on my face and gave the buck his props out loud and let him no that I will be back again next year on the way to my truck.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I'm with bloodcreek here. I have my goals each season. If someone harvests something that makes them happy that is all that matters. Some people may be happy with any buck they can take. If it tickles them to death and gets there blood pumping than I'm just as happy for them. I've ate more tag soup than I have buck tenderloin. But, I'm ok with that. If the buck I'm after beats me that year I'm happy with that too. I've actually crawled out of my stand on closing day with a smerk on my face and gave the buck his props out loud and let him no that I will be back again next year on the way to my truck.
You couldn't of said it any better 2 lunger!!! This post is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Seif5034

totally. i only got my first deer 2 years ago and i'm happy just to kill something that isn't a fawnyes, it would be nice to nail a 200" but if i don't, it's no big deal i'm 17 and i have my whole life to bag a monster. it's nice even if you don't shoot anything. it's fun just to hang out in the woods for a day
I totally agree, im 17 as well and i know a 200" buck is not going to just walk around the corner. Im just happy to be in the woods and im going to try my best to bag a decent buck. Im not afraid to shoot does thougheither. At this point, im most concerned about being consistant. Ive killed a deer with my bow in each of the past 2 seasons, 1 buck and 1 doe. I would like to get to the point where i can kill a decent buck every year, that is my main goal.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Bartender

I can't season is closed right now.[:@]
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM

To top it all off we have to wonder what the law makers are going to change for next year. I have tried to contact my local game warden at www.gamewarden.us and have had success.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with you 100% on this topic, great post! I can remember when Id shoot pretty much anything as long as it wasnt a fawn oryearling and if it was a doe that had a fawn with her. My first archery buck was a big spike buck. My first ever archery deer was an old dry doe. My biggest archery buck was the one I shot in 06. But other than that I will shoot pretty much anything that gives me a good clean kill shot. Its great to see the big boys running around and hoping to get that chance, but it doesnt always happen. It seems too many of us here are caught up in the big buck phenomena and it has corrupted many of us. Dont get me wrong, Ill take the first 130 class buck that comes along in a heartbeat and you can bet hell be on the wall. But is that what hunting has become. I beleive corporate america has alot to do with it. These big archery companies, gun companies, hunting shows, and accessorie companies tend to lead us in the wrong direction by making many of us beleive that if you use their product you will only harvest big deer or you should only harvest big deer. I dont buy into that crap on damned minute. What works in one part of the country will not work the same in another part. I say take what is offered because it may be the only thing offered, and then give thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Im just as guilty as the next guy, but damn we all seem to make things so competitive and/or complicated. We over analize, over think, think too much of ourselves, think too less of ourselves, worry about this buck being old enough, this one is too old, this one has a broken G2, my herd is out of whack, pinch points, breaklines, bedding this and that, staging up, laying low, etc etc etc.....Sometimes I guess we could all just take a day in the woods and shoot what the hell ever comes by!!! And then eat it and say thank you Jesus for this. I read an article a while back that made me think about where hunting has gone in the past 20 yrs and how I and many others have altered what makes us happy. I got to thinking, man, we all have bit on this at one point or another. This article said there is nothing wrong with just shooting deer, any deer. Forget the size, the weight, the age, sex, etc, just shoot a freaking deer and be happy. I don't always follow this motto, but it was refreshing to read this view. So, do you agree with this author about sometimes we just need to shoot a deer and be happy about it???
Actually, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Can't we all just hunt??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.