Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't we all just hunt??

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can't we all just hunt??

I only hunt to satisfy myself and any personal goals I might set.

There are a lot of competetive sports including different games in Archery, but IMO Bowhunting should Not be a competetion.

Dan
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

We'll see how long it takes for an "Update" or "Spin Off" to this topic.........to further "complicate" things of course.

Everything is a question and every question has an "update" and everyone is a "Slash" now.

Gotta love the offseason.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Competition only makes us better. We're men, we're allowed to flex our muscles. Maybe some of us need to start wearing a skirt??
Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that a misconception is being held here that QDM is aimed at producing bigger bucks. However, in reality a true QDMer knows and understandstands that deer management is aimed at restoring herds to their natural balance of 1 buck to 1 doe which in turn has a by-product of bigger bucks. I'm sure we all know that the deer herds of America were nearly wiped out during European westward expasion. Under traditional management (aimed at restroing these depleted numbers) "just shooting whatever the hell we want" was aimed at harvesting bucks of any age and not taking does; this will clearly leave an unblanaced and unhealthy deer herd.

This article said there is nothing wrong with just shooting deer, any deer. Forget the size, the weight, the age, sex, etc, just shoot a freaking deer and be happy. I don't always follow this motto, but it was refreshing to read this view. So, do you agree with this author about sometimes we just need to shoot a deer and be happy about it???
I guess I have to say I disagree because I pride myself on trying to be a land steward and conservationist rather than just a hunter. In doing so, I believe in restoring the natural order of things and not just shooting anything that walks by.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I entirely applaud with those who truly hunt try to hunt for their own satisfaction. I made a concious decision to a few years ago and will likely never regret it. On the other hand, it is fun to watch some ninnies prance around chest thumping.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

At the same time, I have goals....FOR ME. I like strategy and playing the angles to acheive these goals.
Everyone has something different that makes them tick. I agree with the above statement.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are so right buddy....We can experience the dreams, enjoy the outdoors with ourselves, with friends and family....we can do it all by doing what we feel fits best in our hearts....The only difference between a monster buck and a doe is the calcium on its head and the hype of getting that big trophy..or maybe the mission you had with the monster........when a hunter can stop and realize hunting is about the respect of the harvest, and the feeling of watching a red squirrel climb a tree, a chickadee on the tip of your arrow...or whatever....A true outdoorsmen holds the passion inside of the "entire experience" Some of my most cherished memories were a double lunged doe on a frosty morning...loaded in the truck and back home to warm up the smoker and have a cold beer with my wife and kids on a Saturday....

Great post buddy....Come on guys....open up the horizons and savor the moments and the experience...not just the thrill of hauling a 22 inch 10 pointer around town in the pickup...

Put down the rage broadheadsand all the parafinallllya...and stick one with a flint head on a cedar shaft....expand your horizons and do it all....we only have 1 chance in life to try our experiences....go for it...if you thought about doing it....do it...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

It seems that a misconception is being held here that QDM is aimed at producing bigger bucks. However, in reality a true QDMer knows and understandstands that deer management is aimed at restoring herds to their natural balance of 1 buck to 1 doe which in turn has a by-product of bigger bucks. I'm sure we all know that the deer herds of America were nearly wiped out during European westward expasion. Under traditional management (aimed at restroing these depleted numbers) "just shooting whatever the hell we want" was aimed at harvesting bucks of any age and not taking does; this will clearly leave an unblanaced and unhealthy deer herd.

Oh no you didn't!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

Competition only makes us better. We're men, we're allowed to flex our muscles. Maybe some of us need to start wearing a skirt??
Some of us could and not draw too many looks
Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Its all about personal goals for me. If any one wants to kill whatever makes them happy then thats ok with me. always has been always will be. Ill be the first to shake his hand. Some bucks just dont do it for me any more, and if i dont tag out....so be it!! im fine with that. But thats just me
I feel pretty much the same way.

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

You are so right buddy....We can experience the dreams, enjoy the outdoors with ourselves, with friends and family....we can do it all by doing what we feel fits best in our hearts....The only difference between a monster buck and a doe is the calcium on its head and the hype of getting that big trophy..or maybe the mission you had with the monster........when a hunter can stop and realize hunting is about the respect of the harvest, and the feeling of watching a red squirrel climb a tree, a chickadee on the tip of your arrow...or whatever....A true outdoorsmen holds the passion inside of the "entire experience" Some of my most cherished memories were a double lunged doe on a frosty morning...loaded in the truck and back home to warm up the smoker and have a cold beer with my wife and kids on a Saturday....

Great post buddy....Come on guys....open up the horizons and savor the moments and the experience...not just the thrill of hauling a 22 inch 10 pointer around town in the pickup...

Put down the rage broadheadsand all the parafinallllya...and stick one with a flint head on a cedar shaft....expand your horizons and do it all....we only have 1 chance in life to try our experiences....go for it...if you thought about doing it....do it...
Very good stuff here also Brian!

Quick Reply: Can't we all just hunt??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.