Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't we all just hunt??

Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can't we all just hunt??

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They're only complicated if you make it so. I hunt for me and my enjoyment. I don't measure horns and don't try to keep up with all the Jones with stealth cams and all the latest money pits. I'm the only one I worry about pleasing. I hunt what's legal and shoot what I feel like shooting on any particular hunt. I may pass a deer today and shoot him or her tomorrow. When I let the arrow go it's not for anyone or anything but me.
Yup!
X3-
Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Well said Davidmil and Droptine. Bowtechben, yes it is legal, the point is though, how many actually do it. I know a lot of guys on here go without filling a tag, they pass and pass and before ya know it, season is over. I have no problem with guys doing that, if they are fine with it, go ahead, for me though, if comes to the last day and I ain't killed one with the bow, any deer that walks by on that afternoon is gonna get it. So what am I saying??? Im saying that when I have farted around long enough trying kill this monster/mature buck and it doesn't happen, I go back to what really got me started doing this in the first place, and that is to kill one of God's creatures and eat it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM

It sounds like cabin fever might be taking hold of you right now. Hang in there, the season is right around the corner!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM

I got some kind of fever!!! LOL I just want to say that most guys would shoot a doe on the last day, not just any buck, and I may do the same if I had a doe come by, but I may actually shoot a small buck, I just don't know.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

More power too ya VA. I think I agree with what you are trying to say. I would rather (and have) eat tag soup than shoot a 1.5 year old 6 point on the last day. You would do it. The problem lies if I have a problem with you doing it, which I don't. Some guys do. I have a buddy that can't stand to see doe shot. I personally will shoot doe if I think that the herd could use a few out of it to keep ratios in check. Him riding me about a doe kill is what is bothering you right?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

totally. i only got my first deer 2 years ago and i'm happy just to kill something that isn't a fawnyes, it would be nice to nail a 200" but if i don't, it's no big deal i'm 17 and i have my whole life to bag a monster. it's nice even if you don't shoot anything. it's fun just to hang out in the woods for a day
Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Bartender

It is the off season and just makes for good ol fun. Once the season's starts and teams are picked for the bow contest this all will just be a dreammmmmmmm....

T
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM

I absolutely agree. Everybody needs to take the time to just "shut up & hunt!" every now and then. Just not during the rut
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its all about personal goals for me. If any one wants to kill whatever makes them happy then thats ok with me. always has been always will be. Ill be the first to shake his hand. Some bucks just dont do it for me any more, and if i dont tag out....so be it!! im fine with that. But thats just me
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Im just as guilty as the next guy, but damn we all seem to make things so competitive and/or complicated. We over analize, over think, think too much of ourselves, think too less of ourselves, worry about this buck being old enough, this one is too old, this one has a broken G2, my herd is out of whack, pinch points, breaklines, bedding this and that, staging up, laying low, etc etc etc.....Sometimes I guess we could all just take a day in the woods and shoot what the hell ever comes by!!! And then eat it and say thank you Jesus for this. I read an article a while back that made me think about where hunting has gone in the past 20 yrs and how I and many others have altered what makes us happy. I got to thinking, man, we all have bit on this at one point or another. This article said there is nothing wrong with just shooting deer, any deer. Forget the size, the weight, the age, sex, etc, just shoot a freaking deer and be happy. I don't always follow this motto, but it was refreshing to read this view. So, do you agree with this author about sometimes we just need to shoot a deer and be happy about it???
But then what would we have to talk about?

Quick Reply: Can't we all just hunt??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.