Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Price Of Gas, etc., Go A Hunt Or Not?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Price Of Gas, etc., Go A Hunt Or Not?

For us City boys, We are gonna have to pay if we want to hunt. Since not many people hunt in the city I am trying to recruit some new partners in order to help with gas costs. Were up to $4.50 by my place in the city, what was it, $2.50 last year?! My deer trips I am going to have to just grin and bear it. Public Pheasant hunting trips south of the cityI am going to try to geta buddy or two to go each trip. One trip isn't a killer but take 4 to 6trips pheasant hunting and a few couple hundred mile trips deer hunting each year, it really adds up! I watch the oil markets trade all day and if it helps, oil is down a few bucks today
Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got about 60 miles to my spot, which isn't far by comparison. But I went about every weekend last year which starts to add up. I used to go up there no matter what the comditions were going to be like, this year I'll probably be more selective.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I will be much more inclined to hunt all day when I chose to hunt.....I am gonna spend less days in the woods, but for longer periods of time.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM

How does 100 bucks effect a couple thousand dollar trip? If you can't afford that extra gas increase....you cant afford the trip. period. Harsh truth, but if you are dropping a couple grand on a vacation but think otherwise because gas will be 100 dollarsmore....you shouldnt go in the first place.

I think it is the media playing up this recession idea that has hurt everyone booking trips. People are scared to spend their money right now when they turn on the news and hear about how Bush screwed up yet again and to run for the hills with your money in your pocket. I sometimes wonder if the economy wouldn't have taken as bad of a dip here recently if it wasn't for the negative media scaring folks and making matters worse.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_home_page.html
Gas is up less than a dollar from a year ago, no matter where you are from. Hard to see how prices double on some folk.

What it is really hurting right now is airlines and trucking companies. Diesel fuel sucks, and alot of truckers are calling it quits cause they can't make ends meet anymore. I think Schultzy said heis starting to experience the wrath of diesel fuel costs.
Read up on the airlines though, they are going out of business left and right. Pretty soon only the few huge name ones will be left.
A Boeing 747 operates on an average of 3200 GALLONS PER HOUR. With Jet Fuel up around 5 and 6 dollars per gallon now you can see why they are going under. It burns just under 20,000 in fuel in onehour of flight. according to those numbers. Don't know how reliable the source is though. I did see it on the news recently and it was very similar. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...e_a_Boeing_747

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The news stations and the general public have made me so frightened of the high gas prices I've cut out the floor boards to my car and am getting around Flintstone style.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I think it is the media playing up this recession idea that has hurt everyone booking trips. People are scared to spend their money right now when they turn on the news and hear about how Bush screwed up yet again and to run for the hills with your money in your pocket. I sometimes wonder if the economy wouldn't have taken as bad of a dip here recently if it wasn't for the negative media scaring folks and making matters worse.

You sir, are a bright young man.

It was no coincidence that I saw the rush of bookings cease as soon as the media started freaking people out.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "media" is claiming within the next year that gas prices will be over $5 a gallon.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

The "media" is claiming within the next year that gas prices will be over $5 a gallon.
Guess what? I hateto say, it'll be there sooner than that, much sooner, if it keepsat it's current pace.People talk like they are non-believers in this "recession thing", like it doesn't exist. Did you hear about the four, I think it is,GM plants that will be closing? How about the trucking companies that have already closed their doors? And yes, you'll start seeing airlines (I got my Air Canada tickets months ago)going belly up pretty soon as well! As much as I hate to admit it, this isVERY REAL!!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Guess what? I hateto say, it'll be there sooner than that, much sooner, if it keepsat it's current pace.People talk like they are non-believers in this "recession thing", like it doesn't exist. Did you hear about the four, I think it is,GM plants that will be closing? How about the trucking companies that have already closed their doors? And yes, you'll start seeing airlines (I got my Air Canada tickets months ago)going belly up pretty soon as well! As much as I hate to admit it, this isVERY REAL!!
You damn right it is Jeff!! People laugh about it which surprises me. 100.00 dollars is a 100.00 dollars. Its just not the fuel prices that are up, its everything else involved with the fuel as well. It all adds up and kicks your ass in the end!! Its a frickin joke with these diesel and gas prices, yet its legal to do![:@]
Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

No doubt! Those that scoff at $100 I just don't get it. thats a lot of money in my house. My family is middle class. Between my wife and I we do OK. But $100 isn't pocket change. When changes of that much money happen in my household we have to talk about it, we can't just shrug that off! It must be nice to be rich and think $100 ain't squat!

Quick Reply: High Price Of Gas, etc., Go A Hunt Or Not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.