Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Phases

Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Moon Phases

Weather/Rut should and will play a part, as far as the Moon position/phase it's not the greatest for you on your hunt IMO. Stay in the stand all day and look for some midday activity. I think you are planning on that anyway. Good Luck!! You just gotta Hunt hard and hope for the Best!

Dan
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Dan. Yes, like I say, I'm hunting that weekreguardless of weather, moon phase,gas prices, or anything else for that matter.I've hunted the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and now I will try the 4th week up there. We'll see what happens!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pretty cool link that you can enter the area(by zip or click on the map)and date and it will give you the exact time the moon will rise and set. With that information you can figure out when the moon will be directly overhead and directly underfoot("prime times"), which seem to trigger game activity at least somewhat.

Calculate Sunrise, Sunset, Moonrise, Moonset - The Old Farmer's ...

I have some other links and info I use and I have been tracking a lot of info in the past couple of seasons such as moon phases, rise/set times, the 2nd full moon of autumn equinox and rut conditions before and after, weather/front conditions during certain moon phases, etc etc.

http://jove.geol.niu.edu/faculty/stoddard/JAVA/moonphase.html

The link above is a site you can enter the date in and watch the moon, sun, and earth go through a cycle for any given time period. I usually enter the date I want and set the time to pass in hours rather than days, pretty interesting to watch and shows how long the phases last very well.

More important to you on your trip imho will be the timing(which I'm sure is no coincidence) the second full moon of the Autumn Equinox is on Nov.13 and is usually considered to have a large influence on the rutting activity of whitetails. Theamount ofactual daylight(photoperiod) in a day is theorized tobe one of the triggers for a does estrous cycle as well(when light and dark are equal 12hrs/12hrs), and in many areas the time of the year when there is nearly equal light and dark is around November andseems to coordinate with increased rutting activity(for Alberta this time frame comes earlier, near Oct. 1).The full moons in October and November have always been good to hunters as evidenced by the fact that indian tribes across North America have a load of names, many referencing hunting for those moon phases(ie Hunters Moon, Rutting Moon, Harvest Moon, Scraping Moon, etc).

Solunar theory is something you might want to read on if you get bored as well.

Solunar Theory

FREE Solunar Prediction and Forecast Tables for the best fishing ...

Hunting and Fishing Solunar (sun and moon phase) Calendar

I don't have any rock solid proof of anything I just find the topic interesting and know that hunters have been following the moon, tides, andsun for centuries so I thought I should research it a little as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking at the moon chart I am banking on November 3-8 in my area.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great post 61375, thanks for sharing the info. Very intresting.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care for hunting early morning following a full moon. Unless it was very overcast during the night. What I usually do is try to get out late morning/early afternoon and hunt till dark.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 AM

I THINK DEER FEED MORE AT NIGHT DURING BRIGHT SKYS.......I LIKE FULL MOON BECAUSE IT ALOWS ME TO WALK TO MY STANDS WITHOUT A LIGHT.....IT SEEMS THE DEER I JUMP UP WHILE WALKING IN WITHOUT A LIGHT DON'T RUN AS FAR OR DON'T SEEM TO FREAK AS BAD. I ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE BETTER LUCK DURING BRIGHT SKYS
Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know of any solid proof, but I have defenitely had a ton more deer/hog sightings when the nights were darker (with no moon) than when there is a full moon. I have even stopped making the three hour trip out to one of my hunting spots when there is a full moon because its just not worth it to me anymore. (I do still hit up a hunting spot thats 5 minutes from the house though) A lot better chance to "maybe" see something sitting there then in the house.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249
One of the greatest advancements in human evolution(not agreeing with Darwin, I mean evolving as Gods creatures)
of topic: Read more about Darwin. He presented his findings about evolution as proof of God's existance and hand in the world.

on topic: Honestly EI, I don't think the phase of the moon has a dang thing to do withdeer activity throughout the day. However, I do hear and see more deer on the way tothe stand on a clear bright night. I guess what I am saying is that I buy into the theory that deer move more at night when it is brighter, but I am not sure that means they move lessduring the day. That is my theory anyway.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: DropTine249
One of the greatest advancements in human evolution(not agreeing with Darwin, I mean evolving as Gods creatures)
of topic: Read more about Darwin. He presented his findings about evolution as proof of God's existance and hand in the world.

on topic: Honestly EI, I don't think the phase of the moon has a dang thing to do withdeer activity throughout the day. However, I do hear and see more deer on the way tothe stand on a clear bright night. I guess what I am saying is that I buy into the theory that deer move more at night when it is brighter, but I am not sure that means they move lessduring the day. That is my theory anyway.
Yes Jim, like I've said, I'm skeptical about this whole moon thing myself. I always have been. However, I remain openminded, and am always curious to hear what others have to say on this subject. A friend gave me the book "Moon Struck" to read, so I'll see what it has to say.

Quick Reply: Moon Phases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.