Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Phases

Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Moon Phases

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Dang it early it's all about the moons location, not the phases [8D]
Oh my holy freakin lord!!! I just darn near blew out a lung on that one...!! That, right there, could very well be one the funniest things I've ever read on here!! Nicely done sir....Nicely done.

Personally, I'll take a full moon over a new moon any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I HATE hunting a new moon, I don't see jack squat.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bout blowed my H20 out reading your reply thank you sir!!!
ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Dang it early it's all about the moons location, not the phases [8D]
Oh my holy freakin lord!!! I just darn near blew out a lung on that one...!! That, right there, could very well be one the funniest things I've ever read on here!! Nicely done sir....Nicely done.

Personally, I'll take a full moon over a new moon any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I HATE hunting a new moon, I don't see jack squat.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

For those who say acertain moon phase will effect deer one way or the other, what happens when it's totally cloudy and the moon isn't visable? Then the moon really doesn't play any role, does it? This is whereI become skeptical about the whole thing. I'm still open minded though, and plan on readingup on it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: valor10

Post the "plenty of evidence" that is fact and not some clowns book or theory that leads people down this falsity. Deer move for a varaity of reasons, the moonis just one of them. Other than shedding light on on an otherwise dark night, I doubt the garvitational/rotationaleffect the moon has on the tides has anything to do with deer. Wives tales!
Say and believe what you will. I have developed my own theories backed up by years of observations and journal keeping. I did come across some "clown's" book during my intitial findings that happened to mirror and support what I was finding.

I personally don't care if anyone else believes it, or uses it...but I will for the rest of my hunting life. I don't care about the phase, but do care about the position, and certain positions correlate with certain phases (ie - full and new moon periods have moon transits during mid-day and mid-night).

While I didn't consult NASA, I did utilize the Navy Observatory's "Sun and Moon data for a day" website...to come up with this:

Starting on the 24th, the transit will be 1000 (assuming I have my location and time zones right). Each day the transit generally is later by 55 minutes. It will be about 1400 on the last day of the hunt.

If it were me...

- First day or two: I would start off the week concentrating on morningsup until noon, with little emphasis on the first hour or so of daylight, but concentrating on the 1000-1200 period, and be backout for late evening hunt.

- Middle of the hunt, first hour, 1030-1330 (emphasis), last hour.

- End of hunt, 1200 to dark, emphasis on 1200-1400.

-I would be spending the mid-day times in the brush near bedding areas, or funnel areas betwand them,, but not on open food sources like fields. Though if there is not much pressure, and the rut is still kicking some, the open areas could produce.Thinkof it like this...deer will have the urge to be on their feet at the times of emphasis I pointed out. Where will they feel comfortable on their feet at those times in the area you will be hunting? Answer that, and you havewhere I would be spending my time.

If you sit all day...which is probably smartest, I would put money on the bulk of deer movements being withiin the times I posted above.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

For those who say acertain moon phase will effect deer one way or the other, what happens when it's totally cloudy and the moon isn't visible? Then the moon really doesn't play any role, does it?
Not as much I don't think if its cloudy. If its clear, game on I believe! Just going by my own experiences.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: valor10

Post the "plenty of evidence" that is fact and not some clowns book or theory that leads people down this falsity. Deer move for a varaity of reasons, the moonis just one of them. Other than shedding light on on an otherwise dark night, I doubt the garvitational/rotationaleffect the moon has on the tides has anything to do with deer. Wives tales!
Say and believe what you will. I have developed my own theories backed up by years of observations and journal keeping. I did come across some "clown's" book during my intitial findings that happened to mirror and support what I was finding.

I personally don't care if anyone else believes it, or uses it...but I will for the rest of my hunting life. I don't care about the phase, but do care about the position, and certain positions correlate with certain phases (ie - full and new moon periods have moon transits during mid-day and mid-night).

While I didn't consult NASA, I did utilize the Navy Observatory's "Sun and Moon data for a day" website...to come up with this:

Starting on the 24th, the transit will be 1000 (assuming I have my location and time zones right). Each day the transit generally is later by 55 minutes. It will be about 1400 on the last day of the hunt.

If it were me...

- First day or two: I would start off the week concentrating on morningsup until noon, with little emphasis on the first hour or so of daylight, but concentrating on the 1000-1200 period, and be backout for late evening hunt.

- Middle of the hunt, first hour, 1030-1330 (emphasis), last hour.

- End of hunt, 1200 to dark, emphasis on 1200-1400.

-I would be spending the mid-day times in the brush near bedding areas, or funnel areas betwand them,, but not on open food sources like fields. Though if there is not much pressure, and the rut is still kicking some, the open areas could produce.Thinkof it like this...deer will have the urge to be on their feet at the times of emphasis I pointed out. Where will they feel comfortable on their feet at those times in the area you will be hunting? Answer that, and you havewhere I would be spending my time.

If you sit all day...which is probably smartest, I would put money on the bulk of deer movements being withiin the times I posted above.

Thanks for your input RAL, very intresting. Yes, where I'm hunting there is bsically no hunting pressure at all. I do hunt all day.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that weather plays a much bigger role in effecting deer movement. I don't discount the moon's effects. Ask a policeman or emergency room doctor. They will verify the moons effects on people. So why not other animals.
Here is another interesting obsevation. The deer must be effected by something because have you ever noticed that when the deer are on the move you see them everywhere. when their not you don't see many. Its like they somehow coordinate their movement times. Since they don't have phones or the internet something must be coordinating their movement.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the greatest activity I have seen is in late October and early November when the moon rises around 12PM-1PM and there is a front with dropping tempuratures. Not sure how many people in here have ever noticed, but it seems like the deer are extremely active when this happens.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I believe that weather plays a much bigger role in effecting deer movement. I don't discount the moon's effects. Ask a policeman or emergency room doctor. They will verify the moons effects on people. So why not other animals.
Here is another interesting obsevation. The deer must be effected by something because have you ever noticed that when the deer are on the move you see them everywhere. when their not you don't see many. Its like they somehow coordinate their movement times. Since they don't have phones or the internet something must be coordinating their movement.
Very good point Magic!!! Its just like some nights driving when you have to be on your toe's being everything and anything is moving. Then the next night you don't see anything driving.

Quick Reply: Moon Phases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.